PDA

View Full Version : Another shoddy AC installation thread

Robby9
07-27-2013, 03:23 PM
The AC in my new trailer isn't doing a good job cooling the coach. So, I decided to pull the cover off and have a look before pulling the trigger on upgrading to a 15k AC. I found a big hole in the tape separating the duct from the attic.

Pics:

http://imageshack.com/a/img28/3249/c3dl.jpg

The other duct needs some help too, but it's not quite as bad. Incoming and outgoing air has exactly a 20 degree difference (88 in & 68 out). The odd thing is that air in bunkhouse comes out 7 degrees warmer. I'm not sure what the deal is there.

therink
07-27-2013, 07:41 PM
Probably just heat transfer in the duct, especially if bunk room is a long run from the ac. Steve

Robby9
08-10-2013, 01:54 PM
I fixed the ductwork today and there was a noticable increase in airflow and the temperature loss was reduced to 2 degrees. Now, it was 10 degress cooler today than the last time I took measurements so that may play a role. However, I'm pretty sure there is an improvement.

Robby9
09-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Even with the increased airflow, 13.5k btu aint enough to adequately cool a 31sqb. I'm upgrading to 15k immediately.

SAD
09-02-2013, 05:54 PM
Even with the increased airflow, 13.5k btu aint enough to adequately cool a 31sqb. I'm upgrading to 15k immediately.

Any way you can add a second unit? I would be surprised if you'll get much benefit from the 15 vs the 13.5.

Robby9
09-02-2013, 06:05 PM
Any way you can add a second unit? I would be surprised if you'll get much benefit from the 15 vs the 13.5.

My dealer is doing the swap pretty cheap, so I'll go that route first. The trailer is 30amp and is not pre-wired for a second unit, so adding a second unit will be problematic. But, if the 15k doesn't get the job done I'll look into getting a second unit.

SAD
09-02-2013, 06:08 PM
My dealer is doing the swap pretty cheap, so I'll go that route first. The trailer is 30amp and is not pre-wired for a second unit, so adding a second unit will be problematic. But, if the 15k doesn't get the job done I'll look into getting a second unit.

In your shoes, I would add the second a/c and not run it through your main panel... And through a separate cord... To plug in to the extra 20 amp that is generally right next to the 30 amp outlet on the campsite pedestal.

TTCAMPER
09-08-2013, 05:35 AM
I have one AC and mid 90's here in Florida with two floor fans blowing barely keeps it 85, too hot for me, I bought some AC tape and started pulling the vents off to find most of the cold air was going between the ceiling and the duct work.
I am not done taping yet but hoping that this will help cool my 35.5 cabin space.

Just got done taping up the inside of the blower area, found that the whole access hole for air to go through was not even open, that explains not much air being blowin in the back kids area.
After taping all the corners and seams turned unit on and I got 10 times the amount of air blowing out the back vent.
Thinking of putting a block off at the back so it forces air down instead of to the back wall of the camper.
Will see if helps cool better in a couple weeks.

Terry W.
09-08-2013, 10:18 AM
Thank You Keystone Forum. Went out to camper to look at a few things I had read about and Yep A/C pletium divider was cocked so cold air was going right into the return. Also found some tape issues so fixed with alium. tape.(tx)

sjturbo
09-09-2013, 01:14 PM
This is one of the easy "fixes" I do when ever I get a new/used unit. Not unusual to find shoddy workmanship in the AC area. My previous TT and my new (used 5er) required re-taping to help the AC work better. I say better because I cannot see the quality of job done on the ducting.

therink
09-09-2013, 02:15 PM
This is one of the easy "fixes" I do when ever I get a new/used unit. Not unusual to find shoddy workmanship in the AC area. My previous TT and my new (used 5er) required re-taping to help the AC work better. I say better because I cannot see the quality of job done on the ducting.

I found that if you remove vent covers and use a small mirror and flashlight you can inspect the entire duct runs (both ac and heat) for obstacles, loose tape, etc.