PDA

View Full Version : Recliners

5mary6
07-23-2013, 08:59 PM
So have a new Cougar 333MKS. Oversized recliners. First trip out the arm broke on one of them. Local dealer "fixed" it. Second trip out, it fell off again. In addition, the stitching is coming out like crazy. After reading on this forum how others have had the dealer or Keystone credit them for an exchange, I mentioned it to the local dealer. They agreed and put in the work order. Apparently Keystone denied my request for a credit and only agreed to replace the chair. Still waiting for that but I am pissed because these chairs were marked as $800 a piece. There is no way that I would have them in my house for that kind of money and put up with a arm falling off and the stitching coming out. The fight is not over yet!:banghead:

JRTJH
07-24-2013, 03:41 AM
Dealers build their own option pricing list. Here in Michigan, the recliners at Camping World list at $568 each while at a small private owned dealership just north of us, they list at $450 each. In real dollars, I would think the standard chairs cost Keystone about $150 and the recliners cost about $250. The rest is profit either for the factory or the dealership.

These prices are still "outrageous" when you consider that the $400 for the swivel chair that it replaces is still in the cost factor. So, even at $450, when you add the credit for the standard chair, it's $850 for each recliner. In your case with a cost of $800, you are looking at nearly $1200 for each recliner.

It is the same with the free standing dinette. It costs the factory a specific amount to build in the dinette, provide cushions, etc. To leave that out and install a table and 4 chairs in its place shouldn't cost as much as they charge, but it's a way to up the profits on desirable options, I suppose.

We've not had any of the furniture break or the upholstery come apart, so I would think an exchange for a new chair would be appropriate. Unless both of them are credited, you're going to have a mismatched set. I don't think you'll get a complete refund for the bad chair and expect a refund on the remaining good chair as well.