PDA

View Full Version : In or Out

Bigbeardiver
07-21-2013, 08:10 PM
*I meant to post this as a separate thread instead of in another post, opps*

Since our trailer is on a permanent spot and not likely to be moved, I was wondering if I should leave the slides in or out when I leave for the week.

We return every weekend so we have been leaving the slides out. Touring our campground I've notice trailers that have been sitting for years and their slide outs are jacked up blocks and/or look like they are falling out of the trailer. I've been told never to jack them up on blocks as it changes the way the seal bonds with the trailer, something about the weight of the slide helps to keep the seal closed when it is out.

I think it would be good to bring it in and out every so often to ensure it functions and keep it lubricated but other than that I think it can stay out.

Thoughts?

Festus2
07-21-2013, 08:25 PM
Putting your slides in and out on a regular basis is a good thing to do - if you are able. Those who are full-timing may find this impractical or impossible however.

If the RV is raised properly - slowly and evenly as possible at all corners and middle, there shouldn't be any change in the "seal bonds" ??? I've never heard that one about the weight of the slide helping to keep the seal closed when it is out ?????

GaryWT
07-22-2013, 03:52 AM
When we were seasonal, most left there slides out for the season, May-Oct and then put them in for the winter. Park Models with slides had to use blocks as that was the design of that type of slide, I believe those had to be pushed out. Once in awhile we would see a travel trailer with blocks but probably not a good idea.

parkgirl
07-22-2013, 04:38 PM
According to your warranty you are supposed to run your slides in and out on a regular basis. We talked to our dealer about that because we also are on a permanent seasonal site and really didn't want to bother with running them in and out. We were told to definitely do it. We don't do it every week when we leave. Most of the time we just leave them out, but we do make a point of "exercising" them once in a while. Also when we do run them in and out, we go up on the roof to make sure the flap seal is sitting correctly. When the slide was put out for the first time that flap was twisted and we didn't notice it until we went up on the roof for something else. Now we make sure it's lying flat.

We also heard that it was not good to jack up the slides, that somehow that disrupts the slide mechanism.

billb800si
07-23-2013, 09:26 AM
Don't forget to lubricate the seals occasionally.

Happy trails,

mjl2022
07-27-2013, 07:17 AM
In the generic Keystone RV Owner's Manual I received with my 2012 Springdale it has two relevant Notes on this issue;

Slide-out rooms should be stored retracted

Rooms that will be extended for long periods of time should be actuated 1-2 times a week

It is my understanding that the most recent version of the owners' manual can be found on the company website

JandA
07-28-2013, 10:55 AM
Ditto, if left out, exercise them 1-2 per week.