PDA

View Full Version : carbon monoxide detector

tap3230
07-21-2013, 07:30 PM
I pulled up to check on my 5th wheel and the alarm was going off - not constant - about every 20 secs or so. I changed the battery, I hit the reset button nothing stops it. the vents are open the gas is off - what could the problem be?? How do I shut this off?:confused:

cjac32
07-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Same thing happened to me. After changing the battery I couldn't get the unit to reset.Turn iut that the metalnprong on the bbattery receiver was making contact with the battery. I had to pull it apart very carefully since it all plastic and reconnect the wire. It has work fine ever since, granted its only been 2 weeks.

Ken / Claudia
07-21-2013, 11:54 PM
On my artic fox it started going off after my wife cleaned the camper real good with floor cleaner etc. and than it would not stop I removed the fuze and bought a new detector. They do go bad.

aburns20
07-22-2013, 02:56 AM
Mine was doing the same thing. It took 2 batteries to get the darned thing to stop chirping. I would try another battery or make sure the battery contacts are indeed making contact.

Dhuhn
07-22-2013, 06:21 AM
they go bad you don't know how old it is so just take it out and buy a new one and install it.

Drew Waller
07-30-2013, 06:16 AM
Let me ask this question? Will the carbon monoxide detector set off on Battery Fumes when charging the 12v battery. The reason I ask is I've never seen batteries enclosed in a vented and sealed box like I have on my new Raptor 332 TS. I took the boxes off the other day to do some battery maintenance. I left the unit plugged in and boxes off over night and the next morning I have the Carbon Monoxide detector squealling at me! It would not shut off. Changed 2 batterieas in it and finally just said it went bad and cut the wires! I had to do the same thing to my Raptor 3612. I replaced with a battery only brand which is not wired into my 12v system. I'm thinking it's setting off on 12v Battery fumes! Any Ideas?

gepaine
07-30-2013, 06:53 AM
The carbon monoxide detector in our 2011 Cougar began chirping this Spring a few weeks after re-installing the batteries. (I remove them over the winter.)

Ours is battery-only and had a legend on the back that listed 4 or 5 chirping patterns and what each meant. The chirping pattern we were experiencing indicated that the unit had possibly failed.

I called the manufacturer and was told that the unit had in fact failed. They would replace it under warranty for $30 shipping and handling, or sell me a new one which was on special for $25. I said, "No thank you", and bought a different brand from Home Depot.

Ken / Claudia
07-30-2013, 10:51 AM
Drew, I would say yes about the batteries because I know that cleaning agents, dog gas (farts) makes them go off. Cleaning sprays in the area might even make them go bad.

Drew Waller
07-31-2013, 04:45 AM
I went into Camper World yesterday and had the batteries checked! Yep, their dead! They replaced the batteries and I took them home to re-install. But installing is a problem. But getting back to the warning the detector was doing. I think the detector was warning me that I had low energy in the batteries! I'll find out tonight when I put the final touches on the installation. I cut the wires on the detector so I could re-install. The last Raptor I had I replaced that detector with a +9v battery type. I think the other Raptor was indicating the same thing, low battery! I sure wish I had some kind of paperwork that told me all about those detectors? Plus a switch other than the main circuit breaker to turn everything off when we are not using it. The battery off switch doesn't get everything like the Sony Amp for the stero system. Like others, I may have to start making modifications!:banghead:

JRTJH
07-31-2013, 09:41 AM
I I sure wish I had some kind of paperwork that told me all about those detectors?

Drew,

Go to Google (Google is your friend) and type in the model number of the detector and it will list a number of links. If you review them, you'll see that a number of them will take you to the manufacturer's site where you can download a copy of the owner's manual/operating manual.

Drew Waller
07-31-2013, 10:17 AM
Thank you! I quess I'm still a paper user. Old guy who forgets we have ASK.com and Google. I'll look that up tonight when I get home. There's many things like that I've been using google for on this camper. The 6 Point landing system is one! It's great now that I've printed it and held my figer on each and every step as I learned how to use it. Thanks again, I'm Over my "SENIOR MOMENT"!:)

Drew Waller
08-01-2013, 05:42 AM
OK I learned some things I'd like to pass on from this experience! I got it all back together last night. It's a buggar getting those lids back on over those batteries. That will get a modification the next time before I try to snake those wires back through those small holes in the covers. Everything worked! Now I think what I learned is if the batteries are bad the converter will make a louder sound trying to charge the batteries. It should be relative quiet! The Carbon Monoxide detector is either saying you have fumes from cooking the battery or the battery is low. I haven't got to Google yet! Getting those wires back in cost me all my daylight. When I picked the camper up the battery didn't have enough power to lift the camper onto my truck and that was in March, it's still freezing here. Of course I plugged it in when I got home and noticed the charger working extremely hard (noise). I figured it would recover, but the 2 batteries didn't. Hence: 2 new Bats required. Wired my Carbon Monoxide indicator back in. Good to go after checking! Also during this learning experience I figured how to turn off all those detectors and the Sony Amp system and convertor, flipping the breakers off is the only way! Safety, Safety, Safety! No arguments about that!:)