PDA

View Full Version : Just thinkin'

rayjoanlough
07-21-2013, 02:22 PM
Bunch of old sailors sittin' around the campfire talking about bucket lists. Most of us would like to rv Yellowstone Park. Now we have heard we need to not leave food products in the car cause a bear can open your car like a can opener. I was thinkin' the walls of my Cougar 278RS are about a quarter inch thick and we have food inside. A bears claws don't retract like a cat's. See where we were goin' with this tought process. Of course this was after a "few" glasses of wine!

f6bits
07-21-2013, 02:32 PM
The walls are more like 2+ inches, but the same rule applies in bear country. In the Sequoias campgrounds, they have bear boxes which are required for use while camping.
http://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/bears.htm

And that's a big reason we camped outside park boundaries.

crash
07-22-2013, 04:14 AM
:eek:dont think we will be camping in parks no time soon.:confused:why baby seats?

JRTJH
07-22-2013, 04:44 AM
:eek:dont think we will be camping in parks no time soon.:confused:why baby seats?

Most parents feed their baby while sitting in the seat (or give them snacks). What baby is clean enough to never spill or slobber a part of that teething cookie which dries in the cracks and folds and lingers after the baby is fast asleep in its crib ???

Also, baby seats often smell like pampers and baby poo which can (and will) attract bears. What we consider to be "food" is not necessarily what bears will consider to be a "delictable delight"

crash
07-22-2013, 09:53 AM
:eek::eek:

hankpage
07-22-2013, 10:35 AM
When we were in Shenandoah many years ago we invited our tent camping neighbors to feed their baby in our truck camper so they kept the smell of food to a minimum in their tent. When we left we recommended she fed the baby in the restrooms for safety. The rangers told us at that time that formula, milk and eggs were the biggest draw for bears. Now it is probably Doritos and Twinkies.

I am proud of myself for getting through this post and not mentioning BACON. :rolleyes:

SAABDOCTOR
07-22-2013, 11:28 AM
It would seem that bears like Brazilian food too even in downtown Danbury Ct. they had to tranquilize a small black bear in a small tree outside a resturant on main street! but he had no BACON!:cool:

GMcKenzie
07-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Not sure why they'd have to rip open your trailer.

Up here they just stand up and open the doors to your truck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TglkMUm2d8E

crash
07-23-2013, 02:37 AM
The only thing I would worry about is our Boarder Collie and Bulldogs saftey:D,everything else can be replaced.:D