PDA

View Full Version : Electrical System Confusion

dedcapri
07-19-2013, 11:18 AM
My house battery doesn't stay charged.... I can use the remote to open the slides, let the landing gear down etc. only when electric is connected to my truck or a landline electric connection. Should the battery disconnect be in the on or off position? Obviously, I'm not understanding how this system works and will appreciate some "electric 101" advice. Thanks.

leyland02
07-19-2013, 12:15 PM
I would think the battery disconnect would need to be on to charge up when connected to AC power.

Pmedic4
07-19-2013, 12:30 PM
OK, where to start...
In your case, it sounds like your battery is real weak(dead).
You don't say what model of 5ver you have? It's been discussed quite extensively about what works and doesn't work with the battery disconnect switch off. In my Cougar, the Landing Gear, Rear Stabilizers and Slides will work even with the disconnect switch turned off. Now, anytime you connect to your Tow Vehicle, as you describe your getting power from your Tow Vehicle. Same thing goes for Shore power, as it goes through the Converter, but you should have a battery in place to use the Shore power for landing gear or Slides.
If your RV is several years old, and someone didn't maintain the battery, it's probably dead. If left connected and supplying internal devices, like the converter/Inverter, Radio, CO/LP detector, etc., these are parasitic drains that run down a good battery in about a week, and weak batteries in about 10 minutes. That's probably your situation, so new battery time. Check around, there are several other links on batteries, disconnects, and what is or isn't powered when - I like the title of one "Oh Battery Disconnect how you deceive me". Good luck figuring it out.

pjhansman
07-19-2013, 01:24 PM
If your RV is several years old, and someone didn't maintain the battery, it's probably dead. If left connected and supplying internal devices, like the converter/Inverter, Radio, CO/LP detector, etc., these are parasitic drains that run down a good battery in about a week, and weak batteries in about 10 minutes. That's probably your situation, so new battery time.

Guilty of that myself. Just put in a brand new Group 27 Interstate and hopefully I'll have the sense to take care of it properly this time. :banghead:

billb800si
07-19-2013, 01:51 PM
One last note:
Don't forget to occasionally check the water level in your batter(s). If it runs dry you'll ruin a new battery in short order.
And only use distilled water to refill a battery.
Happy trails,