PDA

View Full Version : If you could change one thing.....

Kristi
07-19-2013, 09:44 AM
Shopping for a new RV is fun, but there are always compromises. I'm just curious... Now that you've used it, what would you change? Floor plan, materials, equipment, etc.

For me the one thing I would change is swapping the locations of the couch & U dinette so I could more easily use the table for counter space.

What about you?

Andymon
07-19-2013, 10:17 AM
We love our floor plan. I guess the one thing I would change would be to add pull out drawers under the dinette. We did find some large plastic tubs at Lowes that are a near perfect fit but actual pull outs would be perfect.

GMcKenzie
07-19-2013, 10:40 AM
The only thing we would like in our is a closet to hang coats.

Given the floorplan, there really isn't a place for it, but it is the one thing my DW and I wish it had. Certainly not enough to make us switch as we love so much about the trailer.

TandE
07-19-2013, 10:49 AM
The only thing I would change is for ours to have an outdoor kitchen. Everything else is perfect. Has a full wall wardrobe, plenty of storage inside and out and comfy. Plus the dw is happy :D

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Festus2
07-19-2013, 10:53 AM
GMcKenzie -
I would have thought that your longer Cougar would have more closet space than our shorter version of the RKS. I guess that 2-3 extra feet that you have wasn't used or designed for any extra hang up space.
Any major modifications or changes have already been made so, other than the lack of closet space, we wouldn't change or wish for anything else.
We're "bouncey: campers!

f6bits
07-19-2013, 02:21 PM
The Tardis option: Bigger on the inside (storage, bathroom, bedroom, bunks), smaller on the outside (easier for towing and fitting in state parks).

Though the one honest issue is the small greywater tank. I wish it could hold more for times we boondock or go to a no-sewer site. Bolsa Chica beach won't even let you shower off your feet outside your trailer.

JRTJH
07-19-2013, 02:59 PM
As we transition from a "camping RV" to a "travel RV" we are looking forward to increased storage inside. Inside: Bigger pantries, larger hanging storage, more room to move around, a wee bit larger bath, and a place beside the bed to stash an alarm clock. Outside: Increased storage, better aerodynamics, improved cold weather capabilities, and easier setup/teardown.

All of this comes with expectations of greater livability, but also with the understanding that a bigger tow vehicle, increased operating costs and a larger investment outlay.

I would say that the biggest expectation is greater usability.

Kristi
07-19-2013, 04:18 PM
The Tardis option: Bigger on the inside (storage, bathroom, bedroom, bunks), smaller on the outside (easier for towing and fitting in state parks).

Though the one honest issue is the small greywater tank. I wish it could hold more for times we boondock or go to a no-sewer site. Bolsa Chica beach won't even let you shower off your feet outside your trailer.

We have come to realize to limits of our 30 gallon grey tank also. Dr. Who much? :p

SAD
07-19-2013, 05:09 PM
Not a dang thing - even after a year of use....

rrohrer
07-19-2013, 05:25 PM
dittto on the grey tank issue. we have a sewer tote now so that helps, but i make almost daily trips to the dump station cause my family likes to use the camper shower(so do I). We had a hybrid trailer before so this one now allows us to go on longer trips in comfort. I'm not super fond of our bed(short queen and not the most comfortable). any other changes would require larger trailer and I am not comfortable going any bigger with my current tow vehicle. On our wish list would be outdoor kitchen and seperate bunk room for the kids.

Jim Dow
07-19-2013, 05:30 PM
Why does everybody have to immediately install mods? It's because only the bare minimum is being provided - framework for finishing the job.

There is not one thing I would change, it's a lot of changes to make the vehicle a more complete, quality package - from plumbing to electrical to air handling to electronics. There's not a complete package in this list.

GaryWT
07-19-2013, 06:26 PM
Interesting topic. It shows how we are all so different. We got rid of hang up storage by putting shelfs in, we figures we are camping so what would we need to hang up. As for the grey tank, for us size does not matter as we always get sewer sites and leave it open until the last night.

The one thing I would change is the awning, a bigger awning would be most helpful. One long enough to at least cover both doors if not longer.

Essness
07-19-2013, 07:01 PM
Interesting topic. It shows how we are all so different. We got rid of hang up storage by putting shelfs in, we figures we are camping so what would we need to hang up. As for the grey tank, for us size does not matter as we always get sewer sites and leave it open until the last night.

The one thing I would change is the awning, a bigger awning would be most helpful. One long enough to at least cover both doors if not longer.

I agree with the awning thing. We would change nothing on the current one. We bought one that had almost everything that we didn't have on the last one.
That almost would be the awning and a door that opens into the toilet.

pmh
07-19-2013, 08:32 PM
The one thing I would change is the black and gray water release handles.
They are hard to reach, I would have them closer to the side of the trailer.
Also the fresh water drain, which is a screw cap in the bottom middle of the tank. (this I did a mod on, its now drained at the rear bumper).

Jca3
07-20-2013, 11:51 AM
I love our big windows in the Laredo 266RL. We have so much view room we feel like we are outside even when in. However, they had to get creative with cupboards so they are limited in the kitchen area and my stuff had to be stored in the sides over the couch or TV.
I love the large shower and the bedroom slide which gave us the full closet and huge storage cupboards. We thought the shower would be too light for sleeping, but it hasn't been an issue. If fact when traveling in the rainy northwest I really appreciated that light.
I do hate the short sink with the wide counter in front of it so I have to bend over so far doing dishes.

davidjsimons
07-20-2013, 05:20 PM
I wouldn't change a thing about my unit. It has hanging closets, a separate outside bathroom door and a long enough awning to cover both doors. All of that being said, to each his own. Everybody's needs and wants dictate their decisions on floor plans. I looked at a number of different units before I bought and the unit that I settled on fit my needs with no compromises.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

randy69
07-20-2013, 09:56 PM
The change I would like to see is long gated toilets and seats for us men
And adjustable heater registry

Laredo60
07-21-2013, 04:01 AM
The awning being so short. Can't figure out why they put such a short awning on the trailer. Also why would they put the black tank flush hook up on the front side instead of on the rear side were all the other hook ups are? And no heat vent in the bathroom? Other then then that we love it:) hope everyone is having a great season on the road.

2013 303TG
2012 F150 Quad Cab

thewhitehat
07-21-2013, 05:52 AM
Not a dang thing - even after a year of use....

I have to say ditto on that. I like the layout of our 30fkv, having the kitchen in the vnose, having plenty of cabinet and counter space there. The wife loves it and anything that makes her happy makes me happy too. I also enjoy how the back bedroom is arranged, with a nice desk area and the bed perpendicular to the length of the trailer, which leaves tons of closet space along the back wall. The bigger shower is a great size for me, I no longer feel like I'm trying to clean up in a coffin, like I did with my Terry trailer.

Most of my suggestions would be in the way of slight design modifications that would have made it work better - like more straps to hold the sliding doors in place, a better place to store a large sewer hose with fittings, more or bigger external storage, better tires, properly-marked grey and back tank valves, and a few others. Of course, I've made these modifications myself (except for the more storage) :)

antiqfreq
07-21-2013, 01:07 PM
We have had our fiver 5 1/2 years now and I would not change a thing.

It is perfect layout for the two of us. Whatever mods we did were what we needed to make it an excellent RV for the money.

Lived in ours from October 2009 until March 2011 and never missed the old house.

Now we do have a house (necessity thing) but still try to get out when we can and we don't plan to dump her till she falls apart !

Jo

;)

cabinfever
07-21-2013, 06:42 PM
The only thing I would change on our TT is the outside shower. They put it on the curb side. I would think the street side, or even better, the rear.

crash
07-22-2013, 03:26 AM
I would put a side entry door into the garage ,we lost ours to the side patio kit but we love the side patio deck though(we have to us the main door to go in and out to the garage)

Family_5ers
07-24-2013, 11:35 AM
Someone else already set the first part, but pull-out drawers under the dinette. I'd add that we'd love pull-out under storage.

ctpd814
07-26-2013, 11:31 AM
The only thing that is not a easy fix is a good place for my satellite receiver. The way the entertainment wall is set up there is no place to put it. The easy fixes are heat registers with dampers and a battery cut off switch to fully disconnect the battery.

psdpower350
08-05-2013, 06:38 AM
For us we would have preferred a bigger awning. Ours starts/ends at the front door. You still get wet trying to get in if its raining. Plus the steps get soaked.

BUT most important is the dinette. For eating its ok but for watching tv! It is the most PITA ever!

Other than that, I love it.

RaptyJon
08-21-2013, 02:03 PM
I've only stayed in my raptor for two days without a lot of time actually in it, but I did seem to notice that there's no wall switch for the lights in the main living area. There's in the cargo area, bathroom and master bedroom area, but not in the main living area? Seems pretty silly to me...the ceilings are like 10 foot tall and I'm not even 6 foot...I need a step stool to be able to turn the lights on on the ceiling. Another thing is I'm still unsure of how many my trailer sleeps - it makes sense for 2 on the master queen bed, and 2 on the queen bunk in the cargo area and one on the dining area couch, so I count 5, but have read 6-8 on websites describing the 27FS which I'm not sure how unless you're including room on the floor for air mattresses or something.

KanTC
08-21-2013, 02:37 PM
... I'm still unsure of how many my trailer sleeps - it makes sense for 2 on the master queen bed, and 2 on the queen bunk in the cargo area and one on the dining area couch, so I count 5, but have read 6-8 on websites describing the 27FS which I'm not sure how unless you're including room on the floor for air mattresses or something.

RaptyJon,
Main queen bed sleeps 2; sofa/dinette coverts to sleep 2; rear electric beds sleep 2 each (= 4 w/ dual beds). Total 6 to 8 ;)

Hope that helps.
Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

Essness
08-21-2013, 02:40 PM
RaptyJon, congrats on your new Raptor.
I'm also vertically challenged, there is a switch for your living area lights on the control panel. We set the lights we wanted on as a general rule and then just use the switch on the panel.

Some of the 27fs' have a couple benchs and a queen bed in the garage. So, I can reasonably see it sleeping 6 to 7 people and one on the floor if you are so inclined.

SAD
08-21-2013, 04:12 PM
I've only stayed in my raptor for two days without a lot of time actually in it, but I did seem to notice that there's no wall switch for the lights in the main living area. There's in the cargo area, bathroom and master bedroom area, but not in the main living area? Seems pretty silly to me...the ceilings are like 10 foot tall and I'm not even 6 foot...I need a step stool to be able to turn the lights on on the ceiling. Another thing is I'm still unsure of how many my trailer sleeps - it makes sense for 2 on the master queen bed, and 2 on the queen bunk in the cargo area and one on the dining area couch, so I count 5, but have read 6-8 on websites describing the 27FS which I'm not sure how unless you're including room on the floor for air mattresses or something.

My trailer sleeps TWO. Only TWO. :p

Essness
08-21-2013, 04:31 PM
My trailer sleeps TWO. Only TWO. :p

Ours too, or two, I mean, as well:D

rayjoanlough
08-21-2013, 06:05 PM
Mista Festus I have the same/year rig as you but my "complaintis the short queen mattress and the crowded walk around the storage cabinet on the driver side and the crowded stepdown on the passenger side at the sink vanity. How did you solve this or did you?

RaptyJon
08-21-2013, 09:24 PM
RaptyJon, congrats on your new Raptor.
I'm also vertically challenged, there is a switch for your living area lights on the control panel. We set the lights we wanted on as a general rule and then just use the switch on the panel.

Some of the 27fs' have a couple benchs and a queen bed in the garage. So, I can reasonably see it sleeping 6 to 7 people and one on the floor if you are so inclined.

Thanks! It looks like we have the same trailer so it's nice to have something in common. I was starting to wonder if there was a switch on the control panel that controlled those lights and I somehow missed it - I'll be sure to check next time I'm near it. Mine only has the single queen bed in the garage. It is semi-irrelevant since it's primarily only me and my girlfriend and we know where we're sleeping but still trying to figure out all the sleeping areas should we have friends join us.

RaptyJon
08-21-2013, 09:27 PM
RaptyJon,
Main queen bed sleeps 2; sofa/dinette coverts to sleep 2; rear electric beds sleep 2 each (= 4 w/ dual beds). Total 6 to 8 ;)

Hope that helps.

Hi, thanks for the response. When you mean the sofa/dinette converts to two, what do you mean exactly? Underneath the sofa/cushions is only storage space - the long part of the sofa that is parallel with the dining table seems it could handle an adult but then small part of the L only seems to be reasonable for maybe a small child, if that - if there's a way to configure it for two legitimately I'm not aware of it I guess. Thanks for any insight!

Festus2
08-21-2013, 10:35 PM
Mista Festus I have the same/year rig as you but my "complaintis the short queen mattress and the crowded walk around the storage cabinet on the driver side and the crowded stepdown on the passenger side at the sink vanity. How did you solve this or did you?

Ray --

Our short queen mattress was replaced by a better quality but still short mattress and nothing has been done to make the area around the bed and storage area any less crowded. Again, the area around the steps and sink vanity remains unchanged.

I don't see any way of enlarging these two areas to create more walk around space. In order to do so, you (or we) would have to decrease the size of the clothes cabinet, the vanity and the shower.

We have pretty much accepted the fact that is the way it is going to be and hope that we remain slim enough to make our way around bedroom area without bumping into one another. :D

In summary, we haven't solved this problem and are not about to.

Essness
08-22-2013, 03:14 AM
Hi, thanks for the response. When you mean the sofa/dinette converts to two, what do you mean exactly? Underneath the sofa/cushions is only storage space - the long part of the sofa that is parallel with the dining table seems it could handle an adult but then small part of the L only seems to be reasonable for maybe a small child, if that - if there's a way to configure it for two legitimately I'm not aware of it I guess. Thanks for any insight!

We dont have a convertible dinette. Some of the original designs for the 27fs did show an air matress but that was scrapped prior to production.

KanTC
08-22-2013, 04:59 AM
.......if there's a way to configure it for two legitimately I'm not aware of it I guess. Thanks for any insight!

We dont have a convertible dinette. Some of the original designs for the 27fs did show an air matress but that was scrapped prior to production.

Ooops, RaptyJon, guess I spoke too soon - sorry about that! :o
Scot, thank you for the input/correction. Good to know.

We have the same arrangements as many others on the forum: Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2!! :D

Essness
08-22-2013, 05:16 AM
Thanks! It looks like we have the same trailer so it's nice to have something in common. I was starting to wonder if there was a switch on the control panel that controlled those lights and I somehow missed it - I'll be sure to check next time I'm near it. Mine only has the single queen bed in the garage. It is semi-irrelevant since it's primarily only me and my girlfriend and we know where we're sleeping but still trying to figure out all the sleeping areas should we have friends join us.

We also both pull with a 1/2 ton. I saw your post on RVnet/open roads/woodalls. We both have pretty tall tires. So, a little sway is something we have to remain aware of. That said, once I got my pro series hitch dialed in and tightened up my sway bars, it handles really well. I actually have 2 different settings, one with no toy, and one with the toy loaded. Since the toy adds about 1000 lbs behind the back axel.

Scot, thank you for the input/correction. Good to know.

We have the same arrangements as many others on the forum: Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2!! :D

We'll have as many as we can fit for drinks and if someone wants to cook, we'll let them hangout. But they all need to leave immediately after desert:D

RaptyJon
08-22-2013, 08:32 AM
We also both pull with a 1/2 ton. I saw your post on RVnet/open roads/woodalls. We both have pretty tall tires. So, a little sway is something we have to remain aware of. That said, once I got my pro series hitch dialed in and tightened up my sway bars, it handles really well. I actually have 2 different settings, one with no toy, and one with the toy loaded. Since the toy adds about 1000 lbs behind the back axel.

My girlfriend said she registered over there so she must have posted something. Yeah my truck has the 20" wheels and I just replaced the stock 275/55/20 scorpions with 285/55/20 Hankook Dynapros. When I first picked up the trailer I drove it 70 miles on the stock tires and they were WAY too squishy - they were only Standard tires vs the E rated I put on....the truck doesn't ride as nice but have better peace of mind at least. I have the EAZ-Lift WDH and sway controller - when I left the dealership they had only hooked up the bars/chain to the very first link - there was tension on the chain but the bars hung awfully low and not nearly close to parallel with the tongue/trailer so I'm assuming if I raise up the tongue jack after it's on the ball that it should provide enough slack to maybe get it on the 2nd or 3rd chain link and that should tighten up those bars. I'm also thinking my sway control bar wasn't tightened enough - the dealer said I don't want it tight but I was probably leaving it too lose to even be effective. I'm hoping some tweaks with the hitch should tighten things up with the trailer to where I don't feel the sway I was having before. Being these are my first experiences towing anything, it's hard to know whether the sway is something that's going to be normal or something that's a result of an incorrect setup - it's having me question whether my truck is the right thing to be pulling this trailer but reading these forums has provided some good information and I'm thinking the truck will be fine as long as the setup is correct.

RaptyJon
08-22-2013, 08:37 AM

No worries, I appreciate you trying to help! Unfortunately the dealer didn't have multiple 27FS trailers on the lot so I didn't get to compare the one I bought against any other trailers of the same model that may have had different features. Overall I'm happy with my decision to buy this trailer but realize it's only my first and likely not my last.

Essness
08-22-2013, 09:43 AM
My girlfriend said she registered over there so she must have posted something. Yeah my truck has the 20" wheels and I just replaced the stock 275/55/20 scorpions with 285/55/20 Hankook Dynapros. When I first picked up the trailer I drove it 70 miles on the stock tires and they were WAY too squishy - they were only Standard tires vs the E rated I put on....the truck doesn't ride as nice but have better peace of mind at least. I have the EAZ-Lift WDH and sway controller - when I left the dealership they had only hooked up the bars/chain to the very first link - there was tension on the chain but the bars hung awfully low and not nearly close to parallel with the tongue/trailer so I'm assuming if I raise up the tongue jack after it's on the ball that it should provide enough slack to maybe get it on the 2nd or 3rd chain link and that should tighten up those bars. I'm also thinking my sway control bar wasn't tightened enough - the dealer said I don't want it tight but I was probably leaving it too lose to even be effective. I'm hoping some tweaks with the hitch should tighten things up with the trailer to where I don't feel the sway I was having before. Being these are my first experiences towing anything, it's hard to know whether the sway is something that's going to be normal or something that's a result of an incorrect setup - it's having me question whether my truck is the right thing to be pulling this trailer but reading these forums has provided some good information and I'm thinking the truck will be fine as long as the setup is correct.

Btw, I did add bags to my truck. More for towing my sled trailer than the camper. They do seem to firm up the rear a little when towing the camper.

Murphsmom
08-26-2013, 04:52 PM
There are any number of things that I would change now that we have made several trips in the trailer. Whoever decided that the heat vent should be right under your foot when you step through the bathroom door should have to try living in this model for a couple of weeks. Likewise, whoever designed the "walk-around" bed should try changing the sheets on it a few times. You have to crawl up onto the bed to put on the fitted sheet. Then the bottom of the wardrobe cabinet jabs you in the back.

We have already ordered a custom dining table to take the place of the U dinette. The storage compartment under the window will be removed and the table will be big enough to seat four adults comfortably without knocking into that spring loaded table leg apparatus.

We do like the extra space that we have now. There is room to set up the dog kennel at night and still move around.

Festus2
08-26-2013, 05:56 PM
Has anyone who has "just one thing they'd like to change" ever contacted Keystone with their suggestion(s) for improvement?

It would be interesting to see (a) if Keystone would take the time to respond; and (b) if they do, what their response would be. Many of the suggestions found on these 5 pages make perfect sense and would, if they were implemented, result in a more livable RV with fewer annoyances to have to put up with.

Some of the suggestions would cost $$$ and most likely will fall on deaf ears but others seem to involve very little if any cost.

Forum members can't make the changes :banghead: you are suggesting but Keystone can. Would any of you who have made a recommendation on "just one thing they would like to change" take it beyond the forum to where it just might be considered?

Linda725
09-12-2013, 11:12 AM
There are any number of things that I would change now that we have made several trips in the trailer. Whoever decided that the heat vent should be right under your foot when you step through the bathroom door should have to try living in this model for a couple of weeks. Likewise, whoever designed the "walk-around" bed should try changing the sheets on it a few times. You have to crawl up onto the bed to put on the fitted sheet. Then the bottom of the wardrobe cabinet jabs you in the back.

We have already ordered a custom dining table to take the place of the U dinette. The storage compartment under the window will be removed and the table will be big enough to seat four adults comfortably without knocking into that spring loaded table leg apparatus.

We do like the extra space that we have now. There is room to set up the dog kennel at night and still move around.

I am new to the forum and found this thread particularly interesting. I couldn't help but laugh when I read your post about changing the sheets. Every time I make the bed in our 21RBS I am grateful that I am tall and somewhat limber, otherwise I wouldn't be able to do it. :)

We are going to take the dining table, remove the spring loaded leg apparatus and turn it around. We find it almost impossible to sit at the table with it the way it is from the factory. Maybe no one there ever sat at the table.

There are a couple of things we would change...

-The bars for hanging clothes are so low that all the shirts drag across the bottom of the wardrobes. I guess being tall is a drawback on this one.

-Our trailer is equipped with the gas grill stand attached to the back bumper. The gas line is located under the trailer by the spare tire. This is another time being a contortionist would be good. Then the gas hose on the grill is so short that you can't swing the grill stand around to stand under the awning and cook. We now carry a spare gas bottle to attach to the grill making it much more user friendly and portable.

-There is nothing to hang a hand towel on in the bathroom. We bought a hook similar to the other hooks to hang next to the sink.

Otherwise loving the new camper!

Linda

Rick1959
09-15-2013, 05:48 PM
Wish I could jerk the noisy Dometic refer out and replace it with a Norcold.

Kristi
09-16-2013, 05:46 AM
Has anyone who has "just one thing they'd like to change" ever contacted Keystone with their suggestion(s) for improvement?

It would be interesting to see (a) if Keystone would take the time to respond; and (b) if they do, what their response would be. Many of the suggestions found on these 5 pages make perfect sense and would, if they were implemented, result in a more livable RV with fewer annoyances to have to put up with.

Some of the suggestions would cost $$$ and most likely will fall on deaf ears but others seem to involve very little if any cost.

Forum members can't make the changes :banghead: you are suggesting but Keystone can. Would any of you who have made a recommendation on "just one thing they would like to change" take it beyond the forum to where it just might be considered?

Would there be a way to copy the thread so it could be emailed to Keystone? I would be willing to find a contact & send it.

Murphsmom
09-16-2013, 06:25 AM
We picked up our new table top and have installed it in the trailer. It is now almost twice the original size...the same width it was, but extending the depth from the wall to the edge of the bench. There is room to set the table for four and still have room for serving dishes. The back side of the "U" came out simply by removing a dozen screws. The carpet and paneling were installed before the frame for the seat, so there was nothing to repair or replace there.

While we were talking to the guys at the after market place, two of them said that they were convinced that if the engineers/designers of these RVs were made to take their wives and families on a two week trip in the trailers, there would be a lot of different things done with the designs. They have talked with people at the Keystone plant and made suggestions to them.

Jca3
09-16-2013, 03:51 PM
Wish I could jerk the noisy Dometic refer out and replace it with a Norcold.

I totally agree:)

JRTJH
09-16-2013, 04:15 PM
Rick1959, Your 280 has the reefer in the slide so you're pretty much stuck with the fan noise. The fan was added to the "old style" Dometic refrigerators so they could be adapted to "double side vents" instead of one side vent and one roof vent.

Jca3. Your refrigerator has a side vent and a roof vent, so if you really REALLY don't like the noise, just take the fuse out of the red wire in your lower side vent and it will be a "conventional reefer" without a fan. Except for 100+ temps, you really don't need the fan. Its purpose is only to accelerate air through the top side vent, and since you've got a top roof vent, you're "good to go" without the fan in all but the "hottest temp."

danimal
09-16-2013, 07:08 PM
Bigger shower. Former college football player I'm 6'2", 270 (45 lbs. more now than then) with permanant vertigo and arthritis so taking a shower can be an adventure. Maybe an electric awning would be nice but nothing else other than those 2 items.

Murphsmom
10-24-2013, 05:44 PM
We have the new table installed and we are ready to go out for the last trip this year. How do I post a photo of it?

sjturbo
10-26-2013, 12:07 PM
Quality control! This is not something you generally see from my perspective. Unfortunate but often it is the case that you have to have things repaired or replaced that should have been done during construction. I have never bought a new unit for this reason. But I have rarely had problems with the used units I have bought because someone else had most of them taken care of under warranty.

airforceret
10-29-2013, 06:55 AM
This is our 4th camper and with each one, the needs have changed. The popup was great because it was small and economical. That was replaced by a 26 ft travel trailer that we pulled some 68,000 miles visiting almost the entire United States. It was a lightweight at about 5500 pounds but plenty large enough for traveling. That was replaced with a Palomino Slide In Truck Camper... significantly smaller than the TT, but the 8801 is pretty large for a camper and it allowed us to pull a car trailer with the jeep, ATV and mountain bikes. We still have the Palomino, but we've also added the 280RLS Cougar fifth wheel. At 33 feet and 3 slides, this is like a mansion for us!!! It will soon begin revisiting many places we went in the TT, while also exploring new places.

As for changes to the Cougar... what retard came up with water drains sticking out the underbelly with a gob of spray foam around them like a festering sore. Not only stupid, but ugly as well.

And I think the pull out bumper is a neat idea, but I'm having it replaced with a real bumper so that I can pull a small trailer with my ATV and mountain bikes. And maybe a boat from time to time...

Pretty much love everything else... It would be nice if one could get to everything with the slides in, but then we wouldn't have the floorplan we love when the slides are out... it's about give and take I guess! :)

outwest
11-01-2013, 12:07 AM
A drawer in at least one of the night stands, instead of having to lean over the side of the bed, open a door, reach blindly into shelf, and try to not fall out of bed. If not in bed you have to squat down on floor to dig in the shelf. Either way it's a pain.

Why oh why is there an emergency window exit handle poking me at the head of the bed? Especially when there's a door to outside at the foot of the bed!

drain for freshwater tank needs to be closer to side of trailer. Or better yet, a pull valve to drain it like was on Open Range trailer used to have. As it is, I have to crawl under trailer to open it. Great fun when it's muddy out :banghead: