PDA

View Full Version : Hot hub

Linwoodrver
07-16-2013, 07:47 AM
Hello, hope everyone's season is going well. I wanted to ask a question on wheel hubs/bearings. I have a 2012 Cougar 31Sqb that was purchased new in May, 2012. We have 6trips on it with 1500 miles. The driver side front wheel hub gets hot after driving. Not too hot that you need to pull your hand away, but significantly hotter then other 3. There is no grease leaking out of seals or onto brakes. I have greased the bearing buddies prior to last trip but did not notice much of a difference. Is this normal for the hubs to heat up,or should I have all the bearings repacked prior to next trip ( Arcadia, Maine)?
Thanks for all of the great information discussed on this forum!!

JRTJH
07-16-2013, 08:19 AM
Yes, it is normal for the hubs to "heat up" when towing. However, they should all four heat about the same. If one is hotter than the others, there's a reason. Either a brake is dragging, a magnet is shorting out partially, a bearing has less lube (or a damaged bearing/race) or something else could be going on. So, I'd check that wheel carefully. Not just the bearings, but the brakes as well.

Linwoodrver
07-16-2013, 07:32 PM
Thanks much for the advice and will do prior to our next trip.

hankaye
07-16-2013, 09:00 PM
Linwoodrver, Howdy;

One of the other members recently pass along that one (or more),
of the hub nuts was not as tight as it should have been. You may have the opposite problem ... nut to tight. When you take the wheels off to check the bearings and breaks pay attention to how much, if any, difference there may be.

hankaye

gearhead
07-17-2013, 04:32 AM
Jack it up enough to get the tire off the ground. Grab the tire at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions, try to wiggle it back and forth (push with one hand, and pull with the other). You should feel just a slight "tick" of clearance in the bearing. Spin the wheel and listen for any grinding sounds.
It's probably too loose or too tight.