PDA

View Full Version : Does the A/C need an occasional break?

OldFloridaBoy
07-15-2013, 07:24 PM
My travel trailer has the kind of A/C unit where the fan runs all the time and the compressor cycles, as needed. Some folks leave their A/C units on, and some turn them off, while away from the camp site.

If I leave the A/C on, I have the constant thought in the back of my mind that the A/C unit is going to explode at any minute from overwork during these hot Florida summers. Since I have to leave it on all night to be comfortable to sleep, I hate the thought of it running all day, as well on a 24x7 cycle for 4 to 5 days at a time (haven't actually done that).

So, do you leave yours on, or turn it off? Are there any mechanical best practices?

Bob Landry
07-15-2013, 07:26 PM
It doesn't hurt it to run.

theeyres
07-15-2013, 07:54 PM
Let it run...no problem.

f6bits
07-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Why does the fan run all the time? Do you have the FAN switch set to ON, or AUTO? I leave mine on AUTO. But when I get to a hundred degree campsite, it takes several hours of constant running, compressor and all, before it cools down enough.

crash
07-16-2013, 02:34 AM
We leave ours running all the time with no problems ,The main a/c is on a thermostat and cycles on and off while the bedroom a/c runs all the time since it is just an either on or off switch on that one ,Just my 2 cents:D

B&T
07-16-2013, 06:26 AM
Our previous 2 TT's had an AC units like that. The fan ran constantly when switched to cool. We let them run but usually adjusted the temp control to less cooling while we were out of the TT.

CincyGus
07-17-2013, 05:45 PM
I've run mine for 10 days straight in 95-100 degree heat and high humidity (last summer) along with multiple trips of 5-7 days where it never turned off. From everything I have read from others and experienced, these units are made to run and run and run.

Just keep them clean and let that thing go!:)

mikell
07-19-2013, 03:19 AM
Mines a heat pump AC unit so it's been running since March full time. They are tested for it