PDA

View Full Version : Another question thread!

gearhead
07-14-2013, 08:11 AM
New forum member and I realize that this question is repeated over and over, but can y'all take another one?
I have a 2011 GMC2500HD extended cab with a 6'6" bed. 6.0 gas with 6sp auto transmission. It has the towing package: engine oil cooler, trans cooler, power steering fluid cooler, & brake controller.
Here are the numbers per the door tag:
GVWR: 9500
GAWR front: 4400; rear: 6200
Per the tire info tag: Occupants and cargo capacity: 2938.
The build sheet per the dealer says: "Gross vehicle Weight: 4313".

Here is what I am looking at for a 5th wheel:
2012 (new) Keystone Cougar High Country 246RLS.
Ship weight: 6753. Carrying capacity: 2247. Hitch weight: 1450. Length: 28' 7".
I think I am good for the hitch weight even if I add 1,000 pounds on it. What confuses me is the GVWR. Is that total of the truck and the trailer? If so, I will be over the limit.
I want to be able to tow the mountains. I know the gasser will probably struggle and a diesel would be better.
Any comments or suggestions are very welcome. My next hurdle is: will I need a slide hitch.
Hopefully a visit to the Chevy dealer is not in my future!!
Thanks for all your help....

therink
07-14-2013, 08:52 AM
You will be fine with that set up. You didn't mention which axle ratio you have. 3:73 or 4:10?

My fiver weighs 12,280 loaded for camping and my 6.0 vortec and 4:10 axle do a nice job. I get 7 mpg towing . I opted to not get diesel because truck is also my daily driver and I only tow about 2k per year.
If towing full time or frequently in mountainous area, a diesel would be in order. The extra $8k just doesn't calculate in my scenario.
As far as hitch, I have a standard bed and slider. I have never used or needed to use the slider function and have gotten into very tight spots with room to clear on the cab.
Steve

Festus2
07-14-2013, 09:03 AM
I think you will be just fine with that combination. Depending on the grade of the climb, you shouldn't "struggle" in the mountains -- I wouldn't be overly concerned with that. I have a short bed and have a Reese adjustable (manual) slide but have never had to use it. With the curved/recessed front cap on today's 5th wheels, it eliminates most but not all of the issues with a short box.

If you are concerned about the two "colliding", then get a slider.

Ken / Claudia
07-14-2013, 09:16 AM
GVWR is for the truck max wt. the maker says it should carry.
Somewhere you should find GCWR that is combined vehicle weight rating. That would be max. weight of truck and max wt. of trailer(s). That number includes all vehicles hooked up and loaded etc. without looking it up myself it could be around 18,000-20,000lbs for that truck.

hankpage
07-14-2013, 09:24 AM
New forum member and I realize that this question is repeated over and over, but can y'all take another one?
I have a 2011 GMC2500HD extended cab with a 6'6" bed. 6.0 gas with 6sp auto transmission. It has the towing package: engine oil cooler, trans cooler, power steering fluid cooler, & brake controller.
Here are the numbers per the door tag:
GVWR: 9500
GAWR front: 4400; rear: 6200
Per the tire info tag: Occupants and cargo capacity: 2938.
The build sheet per the dealer says: "Gross vehicle Weight: 4313"????.

Here is what I am looking at for a 5th wheel:
2012 (new) Keystone Cougar High Country 246RLS.
Ship weight: 6753. Carrying capacity: 2247. Hitch weight: 1450. Length: 28' 7".
I think I am good for the hitch weight even if I add 1,000 pounds on it. What confuses me is the GVWR. Is that total of the truck and the trailer? This is GCVW If so, I will be over the limit.
I want to be able to tow the mountains. I know the gasser will probably struggle and a diesel would be better.
Any comments or suggestions are very welcome. My next hurdle is: will I need a slide hitch.
Hopefully a visit to the Chevy dealer is not in my future!!
Thanks for all your help....

You should be fine with that trailer ..... Enjoy, Hank

gearhead
07-14-2013, 09:36 AM
I've got the 3.73 rear end. I didn't buy this truck to tow a RV, just my boat. But since I've already got it, I may as well put it to work!
I bought the truck with 11,000 miles on it and it had no owners manual. Didn't think I would ever need one, 'til now.
This is the kind of trouble being retired with too much time on my hands gets me into! Dang internet. lol
Thanks for all your replies.

hankpage
07-14-2013, 11:53 AM
As many of our members will tell you "Google is your friend." If you Google the make, model and year of your truck + ",manual" or ",owners manual" you should be able to download the manual for YOUR truck for free. This by no means is an excuse not to return and let us know how things work out. :D Travel safely, Hank

gearhead
07-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Hank, I've been on the internet since this time yesterday looking at trailers. I think my eyes are crossed and my brain is burned. I Googled it and found the GMC manual, and I am fine! I'm good for 14,000lbs. Thanks for all y'alls help.
Oh...the wife has found another Keystone trailer...."it's just a little bigger and look at the wardrobe"!
I'm sunk I tell ya..!

labs4life
07-14-2013, 04:09 PM
Wait till you start looking at trailers in person....the salesman says"have a look at this one, it is just a bit different"!!!!!

Have an idea what you want before you get there. We had two units in mind before we started looking in person. Really makes the search.....easier;)

gearhead
07-14-2013, 06:48 PM
Yeah we are down to 2. One in Houston, one in Dallas!
Houston will be first since it's closer. Probably never make Dallas.

labs4life
07-15-2013, 05:32 AM
Yeah we are down to 2. One in Houston, one in Dallas!
Houston will be first since it's closer. Probably never make Dallas.

Good luck on the search and let us know what you choose!!

GMcKenzie
07-15-2013, 02:01 PM
Wait till you start looking at trailers in person....the salesman says"have a look at this one, it is just a bit different"!!!!!

In my case the "bit different" was a shower door that hit the toilet 3/4's open. Nowhere near enough room to get my fat rear into the shower :)

labs4life
07-15-2013, 04:28 PM
In my case the "bit different" was a shower door that hit the toilet 3/4's open. Nowhere near enough room to get my fat rear into the shower :)

Their idea of "perfect" and yours are sometimes worlds apart!!

theeyres
07-15-2013, 08:09 PM
You will be fine. You may not win any races going up 8%-10% grades but you will make it just fine.

SAABDOCTOR
07-16-2013, 05:39 AM
OH I wish you luck on the hunt for the perfect camper:banghead:or:party:have fun.

gearhead
07-16-2013, 07:15 PM
Decision was made! 2013 Cougar 28SGS at Holiday World in Houston. Pick it up tomorrow. Went to Discount Hitch and had a Curt 20k installed in the GMC. We'll see how that works. I'm a bit concerned about turning clearance since I have a 6' 6" bed. Hitch salesman said "you don't need that slider unless you have that short 5' 5" bed".
Hmmmm....guess we will see.

XLite28SGS
07-17-2013, 03:17 AM
Great choice:)

We have the same rig.

Tow mostly on the east coast. The combination is great (truck & 5th wheel).

For your info here are my CatScale Weights (loaded for camping, two of us).

Truck w/attached trailer - 9220#
Truck - 7400#
Trailer Vertical Load (Kingpin) - 1820# (21%)
Trailer Gross - 8700#
Truck & Trailer combined - 16,100#

My gas mileage varies from 9 to 10.5 (10.5 in the flat lands of NC).

enjoy your new Cougar - we do.

Allan & Sadie"bouncey:

gearhead
07-17-2013, 04:06 AM
Dang, that IS the exact same rig! I have the standard size mirrors on mine and am wondering if they will be enough. I can replace them with GMC towing mirrors or a slightly different aftermarket style. I'll see how it looks when I take delivery this morning. May have to buy those clip-on cheap mirror extensions to get it home.
I'm hoping for a trip to your area soon. Just did a car trip to Raleigh and Richmond doing some genealogy research and took in the NASCAR race at Richmond. Looking forward to touring the Blue Ridge.
Let's keep in touch!

XLite28SGS
07-17-2013, 11:37 AM
I would recommend towing mirrors. I have the factory (GMC) towing mirrors, they are larger (vertical) and have a built-in convex blind spot mirror.

We live at the top of Virginia. East of Winchester in the northern Shenandoah Valley (west slope of the Blue Ridge Mt. 3/4 mile from the river). Lots to see and do in this area Civil War sites, Caverns, Museums.

My son-in-law and I go to both Richmond Races (spring/fall). We were there in the spring.

Our camping and traveling will be curtailed for about 3 months, I'm having surgery on monday and need about 3 months to recover. Yes I am going to miss the fall Richmond Race.:mad:

Keep in touch - Private Messages OK.

gearhead
07-17-2013, 04:36 PM
The process went very well today. We had to drive about 50 miles to the dealer across town through one of our Houston tropical monsoons. I was expecting a white knuckle trip home towing the new trailer. Went through the pre delivery inspection then signed papers while they welded rollers on the rear of the frame. (Our driveway is like a boat ramp UP from the street). I bought the cheap snap on mirrors for the truck. I'll tow it a couple more times before I make up my mind to buy permanent tow mirrors. Only had a couple of light showers on the way home, nevertheless we took the outer Belt around town to avoid downtown traffic. Truck pulled it very well. A little more "bouncy" than I hoped, but the truck is pretty bouncy anyway. We cleared the rollers by 2 inches backing in the driveway. Backed it up behind the fence, unhitched, closed the gates on it, and all is well!!
I'm thinking about trying to catch some USAC Sprint races when the weather cools. Maybe Eldora in September.

labs4life
07-17-2013, 04:40 PM
Glad things went well!! Now enjoy the new digs:-)