PDA

View Full Version : Considering an H&S minimaxx and DPF Delete on my 6.4L

BeaverRZR
07-10-2013, 09:40 AM
anybody running a tuner with exhaust mods on the 6.4l? How do you like it? Would like to hear all opinions, experiances, etc. Good, bad, or indifferent :)

Thanks

DJ85
07-10-2013, 10:57 AM
Best Mod I have ever done truck runs great. I an running on the mild setting as of now. Tows fine no problems. The only problem I have encountered is the shifting points have changed. the trans will not shift into 5 gear up until I reach speeds over 50 mph. That has been the only problem yet so far. As far as putting the tuner and deleting the dpf your truck will think you far it in the long run. ;)

BeaverRZR
07-10-2013, 11:06 AM
i was under the impression you could adjust your shift points with the H&S. I'll have to dig a little deeper into that. Did you program it yourself or have a reputable tuner set it up?

DJ85
07-10-2013, 09:03 PM
Did it myself only hard part was getting the pipe where it attaches onto the muffler loose after a lot of heat from a torch it came apart just fine . If u do a total replacement you will have no problems

BeaverRZR
07-11-2013, 06:14 AM
Sound good. I ordered the minimaxx and a turbo back 4" MBRP exhaust system yesterday. Looking forward to the truck running and towing like a diesel should!

DJ85
07-11-2013, 08:26 AM
You won't regret it. The years you have added to you trucks turbo and the wear and tear that that dpf did to your truck. Your truck will thank you. ;)

scjetb
07-11-2013, 08:57 AM
I agree with DJ85. It's like having a brandnew truck. I run mine on mild while pulling and hot when tooling around else where. Just make sure to watch the temps when pulling the hills. There is a different trans program you can run. Mine just runs better with the first one. Like DJ85 said it doesn't go into fifth gear until about 50- 52 MP. Its so nice to just walk off and leave a rice burner when they pull up next to you. I left factory pipes on mine so by just looking at my truck you can't tell it's programmed.

tanman32225
07-11-2013, 09:09 AM
I did my 6.4 and never regretted it. The power increase is tremendous. It no longer is sluggish. The fuel mileage went up and I cannot find a down side to it.
I went with 4" pipe from the front to rear, no muffler, no cat converter nothing. It sounds like a vacuum cleaner running. It is not loud. I don't remember the name of the flash program that was installed but it works great.
BTW for those that have a problem with shift points, different programs like power, towing, max fuel economy changes those shift points. You may need a different program flash.

BeaverRZR
07-12-2013, 05:01 AM
Did you guys delete the EGR system or just disable it? I've read where the it's not worth the labor but then again, even when disabled, it can still open under heavy loads and has the potential for a cooler to fail.

DJ85
07-12-2013, 10:10 AM
The tuner deletes the egr operation so no egr flow, whuch is good but you still run the risk of coolant leaking internally. :eek: So the sooner you delete the better. NOW with all this being said you are Modifing your vehicle and you can not sell your vehicle with these mods on the truck unless a waiver is sign by the buyer. DO NOT get rid of anything or scrap it because you can return the vehicle to stock when you sell it. Enjoy your truck because it won't be the same after your done. What ever your do never run on the hot tune becasue you will be disappointed with anything else. :D Thereare some other things you should consider making if interested pm and I will add to your enjoyment

BeaverRZR
07-27-2013, 08:14 PM
Holy F what a difference! Installed a 4" MBRP turbo back with muffler and H&S minimaxx the other day and I can't believe I waited so long! This thing runs so good now I can't wait to tow with it. I've only used a 1/2tank so far but am at 300 miles already. I would be hard up to hit 325miles on a full tank before the changes. I love driving my truck again :)

Just curious what you guys are seeing for EGT's at normal driving and then under some load? Also how much higher should they be while towing?

DJ85
07-28-2013, 06:29 PM
Okay just got home today after a couple days camping. Here is what I saw.
Exhaust temp ran around 700 to 800 while at road speed can drop to 400 to 500 degrees on cruise. On a stop and go I ran temps around 850 to 900 at normal accel. I don't do a hard accel because I just ain't in that big a hurry. Trans ran around 175 to 150 depending on the pull and what gear it was in. Oil temp ran around 205 degrees and coolant ran around 190 to 200 degree. This was on an 80 degree day with no a/c and windows down. I am running the mild tune set on the mild setting. Fuel setting on # 2 and trans setting on #1 setting. I have installed only the cat and dpf delete pipe and am running the stock muffler and pipe. I am running the stock air filter which you will find is not goood enough on the higher tunes it will suck the air filter flow meter shut and turn the cel light on. Just not enough flow. You have started a trip of mods that you yourself will have ti fnd a place DW is not happy yet. I can tell you if you are see exhaust temp above 1200 you will start a self destruct sequence pattern and you won't like what happens. The only other mod I have done is install a remote crank case system and took it out of the intake hose. The amount of oil this puts in the intake and it all settles at the bottom of the intercooler pipe. I stayed cheap on this mod and made my own but there are ones you can buy. The list yet to come is a egr system delete, cold air filter system, new free flowing inter cooler pipe and exhaust from the turbo on back with a free flow muffler. Told ya you would love that mod. "bouncey:

Hansel
07-29-2013, 09:09 AM
I don't have a 6.4L but I do have a 7.3L, and when you get all the crapp off the exhaust and everything else that is restrictive, then you will see a huge improvement. I was lucky the year my truck was built there wasn't even a cat, just the stock restrictive exhaust which I had upgrade too a 4" from the downpipe back, and one day I will change the downpipe. I've just installed a PHP Hydra chip, and WOW"bouncey: what a different truck, increased power and so far about 1 mile too the gallon better.

Hansel
07-29-2013, 09:11 AM
Holy F what a difference! Installed a 4" MBRP turbo back with muffler and H&S minimaxx the other day and I can't believe I waited so long! This thing runs so good now I can't wait to tow with it. I've only used a 1/2tank so far but am at 300 miles already. I would be hard up to hit 325miles on a full tank before the changes. I love driving my truck again :)

Just curious what you guys are seeing for EGT's at normal driving and then under some load? Also how much higher should they be while towing?

OOOPSSS, my bad I didn't read this post, I see anywhere from 500*-1100* depending on if I'm towing or just cruising down the road.