PDA

View Full Version : Front Cap Issues

SVichera
07-09-2013, 12:32 PM
I have a 2012 3220bh. I noticed some rippling on the front cap after a trip to Orlando. Has anyone had an issue like this before? I've sent both the selling dealer and Keystone photos and am waiting for their response. I purchased the trailer new March 2013 so it is still under warranty.
I don't know how to resize them.

JRTJH
07-09-2013, 01:50 PM
Read the comments at this thread, it's much the same issue as you have, but on the side margin of your front panel rather than along the top margin.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=11320

Robby9
07-09-2013, 06:36 PM
That's definitely not right. I'll be interested to see what Keystone does in response to the problem.

Good luck!

Fixjet
07-10-2013, 05:27 AM
This is this is why I bought a trailer with a fiberglass cap this time around. This is exactly what happened to my 2004 Outback it gets worse as it gets hotter out. In the winter time it smoothed out. If it's constructed the same way as the Outback was it is not a bonded panel and not much you can do. All that is behind my panel was bat insulation and the interior panels. The back end of my new Laredo is constructed the same but being flat I don't think it will be as much of an issue. My Outback was out of warranty before it became an issue so I just lived with it. Be interesting to see if they do anything for you, hope they do and good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

JRTJH
07-10-2013, 07:12 AM
This is this is why I bought a trailer with a fiberglass cap this time around. This is exactly what happened to my 2004 Outback it gets worse as it gets hotter out. In the winter time it smoothed out. If it's constructed the same way as the Outback was it is not a bonded panel and not much you can do. All that is behind my panel was bat insulation and the interior panels. The back end of my new Laredo is constructed the same but being flat I don't think it will be as much of an issue. My Outback was out of warranty before it became an issue so I just lived with it. Be interesting to see if they do anything for you, hope they do and good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The "oil canning" occurs during the hot part of the year. It does get much better during the cooler season, but like a balloon that has been blown up, once you let the air out it stays "wrinkled" and the front panel will smooth out, but if you look closely, it still has the wrinkles. The flat rear surface of the RV isn't as prone to oil canning as there is no bend in the filon, but we do have members who notice a bulge along the bottom of the rear panel, especially where there is a rigid (screwed in place) attachment, such as where the hot water heater is installed. I'd suspect the same will occur where the Cougar BBQ arm is attached on the X Lite series...

As for fiberglass caps, they don't "oil can" on the surface, but watch your side seams and the roof/front cap union very closely. As the front cap heats up, it will increase in size, put significant stress on the weather seal along the trailer/cap mating surface and you can easily get leaks in that area.

Sometimes, what we see as an "improvement" to solve a problem turns out to just move the problem to another area.... In this situation, the problem moved to the mating surfaces rather than the "oil canning" issue.

Steve 911
07-10-2013, 06:36 PM
Hi,
I read these comments with great trepidation. I am considering jumping into the TT world, but the more I read, the more I hesitate. I'm looking at one of the TT's mentioned above, the cougar 21rbs. As you probably know, this model is made with both a front cap model and a standard rounded top front model.
I wonder how often these problems occur? I like the look of the front cap model
But would defer to the other if it would be less troublesome. I guess it's a crap shoot either way..lol. I just don't want to plunk down 20k plus then be stuck with a headache and regret the whole thing...
:confused:

JRTJH
07-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Steve,

If you read the Ford forum you'll find people who have issues with their Ford, Same with Dodge forums, Chevrolet forums, and believe it or not, Keystone forums. Assuredly, there are occasional problems with any product, but with Keystone RV's, that seems to be a small amount of the total products. Most, actually 91%, of Keystone owners who responded to a survey last year indicated they would buy another Keystone RV. That should give you some reassurance that the products are reliable for the most part.

We currently have a Springdale 242 fifth wheel with the flat panel curved front and rear. We've had absolutely zero problems with any of the outside walls, front or back. The filon has been completely trouble free. Of course we live in a "mild temperature" climate and I don't cover our RV with a cloth cover. We have ordered a new fifth wheel, a Cougar X Lite. It has the molded front cap and we expect to have zero problems with it as well. I wouldn't think one is any more reliable or any less reliable than the other. Both have been used successfully for a number of years by all manufacturers of RV's from the "entry level" to the most expensive luxury units. They all, without regard to price, have occasional problems, but the vast majority of RV's from any manufacturer are essentially trouble free and their owners enjoy travelling in them without the "fear" that you seem to have with regards to investing in something that will fall apart on the way home. I really don't think you have to worry about that happening.

Surely, we all expect degradation of the sealant used to weatherproof the RV. But we also expect to have to replace tires on our new F250 as well. That is all a part of routine maintenance on both vehicles.

I'd urge you to not let the need to inspect and perform routine maintenance on your new RV be a reason to stop you from enjoying RV ownership.

Steve 911
07-10-2013, 09:56 PM
Thanks John for your insite. I get all that. I guess one would have a little confidence that any issues that are covered within the warranty period would be taken care of. But then again any warranty is only as good as the company that hopefully stands behind it...of course regular maintenance would or should be a given...
Thanks again
Steve

SVichera
07-15-2013, 07:18 AM
Well, the dealer says nothing can be done, but Keystone is authorizing the work to replace the front cap. It seems like the dealer doesn't want to do the work and the only other keystone dealer won't do warranty work on units they don't sell. Has anyone had any luck paying for warranty repairs out of pocket at a keystone authorized center and then seeking reimbursement from keystone directly? I have a bad feeling that if the dealer doesn't want to do the job, it will be a poorly done job. Thanks

labs4life
07-15-2013, 07:44 AM
If keystone has authorized the work, I would let them know the situation. See if they are willing to reimburse you for the covered expenses. All they can do is say no.

SVichera
07-19-2013, 06:32 AM
Keystone has authorized a full front cap replacement and a dealer in my area (not the selling dealer) has decided to accept the warranty repair. The selling dealer kept coming up with excuses such as the cap will never be authorized; the labor isn't enough and I have to pay and they pretty much told me to deal with it. I'm glad the local keystone dealer stepped up to the plate. The cap has been ordered and I have to take it in August 17th to have the work done. The local dealer has definitely earned my future business. It's nice to see both Keystone and the local dealer step up. I just hope the cause of the front cap issue was purely cosmetic and they don't find any water damage when they pull it off. I looked closely at it and I couldn't find any signs of water leaking inside. I guess we will see on August 17th. I'll keep everyone posted on if any water leaks were found and how the job came out.

Essness
07-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Well, the dealer says nothing can be done, but Keystone is authorizing the work to replace the front cap. It seems like the dealer doesn't want to do the work and the only other keystone dealer won't do warranty work on units they don't sell. Has anyone had any luck paying for warranty repairs out of pocket at a keystone authorized center and then seeking reimbursement from keystone directly? I have a bad feeling that if the dealer doesn't want to do the job, it will be a poorly done job. Thanks

Is this the dealer doing the work?

SVichera
07-19-2013, 10:41 AM
Yes, I contacted them and explained the situation to them and even offered to pay out of pocket and seek reimbursement myself from Keystone. They contacted keystone and decided to perform the warranty work even though I did not purchase from them with no costs whatsoever to me.

Essness
07-19-2013, 12:26 PM
Yes, I contacted them and explained the situation to them and even offered to pay out of pocket and seek reimbursement myself from Keystone. They contacted keystone and decided to perform the warranty work even though I did not purchase from them with no costs whatsoever to me.

Sweet! Good for them and for you.

Nana For 5
07-21-2013, 02:23 PM
Our 2010 Bullet has the same rippling. When we climbed up to see the top, the seam caulking was gone and the sheeting is separating! We live in a dry climate with little rain or moisture. Have an extended warranty buy Keystone says this isn't covered. Not happy with what we thought would be many years of travel with our grand kids. Waiting to get an estimate for repair.

calbroome
07-21-2013, 04:33 PM
I have a 2008 Outback 5th wheel. I recently bought and installed a cover to protect my property. When I took the cover off I could not believe the warping and distortion to the front panel. It was bad. I parked the trailer in my drive under a shade tree and a lot (but not all) of the warping relaxed and returned pre damage condition. Keystone is staying clear of it and suggesting I take it to a dealer. 2 dealers are saying I have water intrusion and the heat from the cover is what caused it to warp. I have no signs of water leakage on the inside. Both dealers are saying the front panel needs to be replaced and any under lying damage repaired. There is another customer having similar problems. You may find his post. I don't want another camper with the fiberglass front panel. The cover manufacturer is also staying clear of my problem. I do not believe I have water intrusion. I'll know when the panel is removed. If I ever buy again it won't be one built this way.

MJB
07-23-2013, 06:50 PM
WATCH THIS SPACE!
I have a similar problem with my 2009 Cougar 24rks..
I live on Vancouver Island BC Canada.
My problem showed up when I removed my cover after storage through the winter & was I shocked!
Having purchased the RV used although I don't think it had been on the road I was sure there would be no warranty.
I could find no one in our town to effect the necessary repairs so I eventually contacted the Cougar dealer 40 kms south of here.
All I asked for was a resolution to the problem & a price.
The Cougar dealer asked for photos which when provided he sent to Keystone.
After a week the dealer phoned me to say thatKeystone would cover 50% of the cost and as a goodwill gesture he would cover the rest!
Needless to say I was speechless.
I will not be able to have the work done until September & his shop is quieter which sounds more than reasonable to me.
I am still astounded at the promise to help me out.
I will however withhold the dealers name until such a time as the work is actually done.
When the day comes I will give the dealer & Keystone every bit of advertising they require.
Here's hoping!!

KJcachers
07-24-2013, 06:52 PM
My 2013 Bullet 246rbs developed water in the front wall that actually bubbled the interior wall at the headboard. Dealer says Keystone actually had a front cap seam recall kit to fix that seam leak problem and will e replacing the interior wall panel. Outside panel looks fine an so did the caulking on the seam so not sure how the water got in. Waiting on the wall panel now. Dealer has roof seam recall kit already. All work covered by my warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Nana For 5
08-13-2013, 09:40 AM
Interesting to hear about the roof seam recall kit! We never got such notice and as a result we have major damage from the seam disintegrating! Waiting to hear if Keystone will be willing to help us!

JRTJH
08-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Interesting to hear about the roof seam recall kit! We never got such notice and as a result we have major damage from the seam disintegrating! Waiting to hear if Keystone will be willing to help us!

I'm not sure where the "rumor" about a Bullet roof seam recall, but if you go to the official Keystone RV website, customer service section and click on "recalls & notifications" you'll see that there are 4 "recalls" for Bullet RV's. They consist of: lug nut torque, MiChef microwave, Atwood Range and Dometic awning motor.

You can check the Bullet recalls here: http://www.keystonerv.com/customer-service/recalls-notifications

I have no doubt that Keystone has a "roof sealant kit" that they ship to dealers if there is a warranty claim for damage or leakage at the roof seam where it meets the front cap or the rear cap. However, Bullet has not had any recall for "roof seam problems" At least the company has not indicated any recall on the official webpage.

Keystone may help you with repairs in that area, but be aware that the roof sealant is only warrantied for 90 days (per the owner's manual) and many have found Keystone to deny any claims for water damage due to sealant damage or missing sealant. They have claimed that to be an "owner responsibility" to inspect "several times annually"

Good luck, but don't be disappointed if you don't get good news.

Resrick
08-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Bought my Passport 238ML at the beginning of May '13. Within two months, the front cap had some serious bubbling across several different areas, but mostly in horizontal lines. Probably where it was secured.

I contacted my dealer and they worked with Keystone to obtain a replacement front cap. It just came in and I need to schedule the repair. Good news!

Unfortunately, the dealer told me that this will just happen again within two years, and that it is a design flaw. I find this very disturbing. Once the warranty runs out, it will cost a lot to keep replacing the front cap.

SVichera
08-29-2013, 04:11 AM
I picked up my trailer from the dealer yesterday after having the front cap replaced. The selling dealer refused the work claiming it was purely cosmetic and that keystone never authorizes such repairs and that the decals were on back order, etc. They clearly didn't know and/or want to do the job. I contacted Keystone myself and provided them with photos and they authorized the work. My only problem was finding a dealer to do the work. I contacted a local dealer that usually does not work on units they did not sell and they agreed to perform the work. Turns out, it was NOT purely cosmetic! They found severe mold inside and had to replace not only the outer wall, but the inner wall, interior wall and insulation!!! Turns out it was leaking at the corner seems. There were absolutely no sign of water intrusion on the inside! I'm happy I went the extra step and contacted keystone myself. I can guarantee one thing, the selling dealer will not getting my business or any referrals from me. I will be sure to let Keystone know my dissatisfaction with them. I'm grateful the local dealer decided to perform the work and they have earned my future business, be it a new trailer or just accessories.

JRTJH
08-29-2013, 07:40 AM
SVichera,

It's good to know your RV is back in "healthy status." Watch for any signs of future water intrusion and do the recommend 90 day roof check/reseal (especially on the front cap seams).

While you're at it with regards to the selling dealership, it might not hurt to be certain they know what happened. Don't forget to reinforce to the general manager why you won't be buying anything else from them. Often times an hourly employee makes decisions that general management is totally unaware of. In such cases, the only way the dealership can fix problelms is to know what happened. And, if they choose not to address the issue, that's even more "ammunition" to support your advice to friends who may be in the market for an RV.

okbluemax
09-01-2013, 12:43 PM
I am trying to sell my 2009 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 27RLS trailer and I need to see if anyone knows the cost in replacing the front cap of the trailer?
I bought an RV Cover to go on my trailer last winter and when I removed it in the Spring the front cap had warping and distortion all across the front.
I have a person coming to look at it and wondered if anyone has had this done so I could tell them a price on repairs?
Thanks, okbluemax

rosede
09-06-2013, 05:20 AM
I thought that I would update the group on my front cap issues.

I first discovered paint fading last month, about the same time this thread started. I had not yet reach my one year with the camper, just a couple of weeks short of a full year. I called my dealer, which is two hours from where I live. They had me take some pictures which they sent onto Keystone.

It took a least a week before I heard back from the dealer, and the only reason why was because I kept following up with them. The service manager doesn't seem like someone who communicates very well with the customer. Anyway, I received an email from the dealer telling me to take it to a local body shop. This particular body shop specializes in semi's, buses, and other large vehicles.

Because of a preplanned trip, it took me two weeks before I was able to get the camper into the body shop for an estimate. I was concerned that Keystone would fight it because it is now over the one year mark. If they did, I was planning on fighting but I just got the call that Keystone is approving the work.

I left the camper over night so the body shop could take pictures, make their estimate etc... When I picked it up yesterday, I was told that it's actually the clear coat that is the issue, not the base paint. When I picked it up, it was cloudy and over cast and the fading actually cleared up. The body shop guy said that was the first clue that the clear coat was fading. Apparently when its bright and sunny, the white comes out making it look like the brown is fading, but when its cloudy and over cast, the base paint comes out. I'm not sure I understand that, but he's the expert, so I believe what he tells me.

The body shop is going to use a higher quality paint. He told me that he'll use what they normally use on trucks and has a five year warranty. He didn't know if Keystone would approve it or not, but they did, so I'm happy with that.

This guy told me that they've done a lot of work for the different camper manufactures. He said dealers from all over send campers to them. Apparently, they do a good job and have the facility's to do it. I seen a big fifth wheel in the shop while I was there, so guess they can handle my little 27 footer.

I'll take it in Monday, and they'll have it done by time I'm ready to go out next weekend.

Adventuring Pair
04-01-2023, 11:24 AM
I have a 2012 3220bh. I noticed some rippling on the front cap after a trip to Orlando. Has anyone had an issue like this before? I've sent both the selling dealer and Keystone photos and am waiting for their response. I purchased the trailer new March 2013 so it is still under warranty.
I don't know how to resize them.
It’s been 10 years since you posted about your Passport nose repair. I have a passport that looks the same, but it won’t be under warranty. I’m hoping to save the original filon nose, but it may have stretched and may not lay flat.
Did keystone ship a new filon nose or did the repair shop buy a new sheet?
Did it stay in good shape after the repair?
I’m about to undertake repairing ours myself.

wiredgeorge
04-01-2023, 12:57 PM
It’s been 10 years since you posted about your Passport nose repair. I have a passport that looks the same, but it won’t be under warranty. I’m hoping to save the original filon nose, but it may have stretched and may not lay flat.
Did keystone ship a new filon nose or did the repair shop buy a new sheet?
Did it stay in good shape after the repair?
I’m about to undertake repairing ours myself.

AP, put together the info for your profile and a signature as it will make answers to your questions have better context. Next, take a look at the OP's profile and you will note he has not been on the site since June of 2022 so not likely to answer. Others have faced this issue and perhaps one of them can chime in.