PDA

View Full Version : keeping ants out

mike76cj7
08-08-2010, 05:02 PM
any way to keep ants out. someone at the southern cal rv park said twenty muel team borox.a round the jacks,tires, ect. it slowed them down but did not work.thanks mike.

Flyguy
08-08-2010, 05:38 PM
The easy fix is to buy some Comet cleanser which has chlorine bleach in it and sprinkle it around the tires; it usually comes in a green can. The one that will definitely work is to mix-up some Demon WP insecticide which is water soluble and comes in packets that you dissolve in 1 gal of water in a sprayer (some states wont allow it to be sold non professionally). The comet has worked for me in the past and I always carry a can in the trailer.

Jim W
08-09-2010, 09:17 AM
My DW believes in the natural way and she uses Bay leaves. She will place them in any area that has any openings that will let ants into the camper or storage comparment.
Other area to look at are the electrical cord and the water hoses, these items will let ants in too the camper also. She places Bay leaves in these compartments also. It seems to work since we have never had any ants in the camper.
Jim

twoclaws
09-03-2010, 06:28 PM
During the walk through of our TT, we were told to put 3 Bay Leaves and 1/2 of a dog flea collar in cheese cloth or old nylon and place them in the outside vent areas (water heater/storage areas) to prevent wasps/insects from entering. Also told to take a strip of cloth and tie it around the electrical cord (when using) and put some insect repellant on the cloth to keep the ants from using it as a walk way into trailer.
Does anybody have any other great suggestions for any type of intruders?
Thanks to all.

billb800si
12-18-2013, 07:46 PM
I haven't tried this-I just received it via email the other day.

ANTS BE GONE :
Do you have an ant problem, inside or out..... Ant Killer What's so cool about this is, it took them 2 minutes to find it and 5 minutes to fill up.!
1 empty water bottle (Cut it down to about 2" tall) 5 Tbsp of baking soda 5 Tbsp of powdered sugar 3 Tbsp of water. The very best way of eliminating ants is truly simple: Take a small amount of powdered sugar (also called icing sugar) and mix it with an equal amount of baking soda (formally called sodium bicarbonate) and water. Powdered sugar is essential. You cannot use the larger grains of sugar for this.. Mix the two powders together and then place small amounts against the walls or other areas where you would not normally walk but where you would normally see the ants. The ants will be attracted to the sugar and will eat some of it and collect more to take home to feed others, so all of them will get their share. The sugar and baking soda powders are similar in size and, once mixed together, the ants cannot separate the two items, so, as they eat the sugar, they will also ingest the baking soda, which they would otherwise never touch. This is the reason for using powdered sugar. Once the ants eat the baking soda it will react with the formic acid in their stomachs and cause gas. The bodies of ants are unlike humans and they cannot eliminate gas so it will build up inside and eliminate them.

Murphsmom
12-18-2013, 08:35 PM
We haven't had ants in the TT (fingers crossed), but did have a recurring problem with an apparently huge colony under our flagstone patio. I was told to try sprinkling cornmeal around the place where they were swarming up from underground. Apparently it works, because I watched them gather up the pile I dumped out and then they never came back up again. Might try some of that around their trails.

PT RV`er
12-20-2013, 04:35 AM
I use a product called Bifen IT. For a short weekend I usually don`t do anything, but for longer stays , I spray the site with this. It works very well.
I like the tip about the cloth tied to the power cord, I will start using that this weekend. And I will also use the bay leaf trick in all of my storage areas. Thanks for all the tips.

dm1401
01-09-2014, 10:05 PM
any way to keep ants out. someone at the southern cal rv park said twenty muel team borox.a round the jacks,tires, ect. it slowed them down but did not work.thanks mike.

Borax works really well, but you have mix it with sugar, I was told about this by a bug exterminator.

mikell
01-10-2014, 06:43 AM
In the motorhome i put ant traps in the cord mouse hole and everywhere else. The place was infested when we got it and it took a couple of months to finally get rid of them. $.99 flea collars work good around cords and hoses

ROLIN JOSEPH
01-10-2014, 08:05 PM
I've had good results for many years by spraying white lithium grease onto the stabilizer jacks, tongue jack, suspension shackles, and electric cord.
Never had anything crawl into the trailer since I started doing this. (The grease keeps the jacks lubricated too. :rolleyes: )

RichR
01-14-2014, 05:17 AM
I have used Terro Ant Killer with great success. It has been around for many years and is available at Walmart and many grocery stores. A couple drops on a small piece of cardboard and placed where you see the ants traveling is all it takes. They will gather around the Terro like a bunch of lushes at an open bar. You may have to add more in order to get them all served, but after a day or so no more ants. They will take some home to share and wipe out the whole family.

bigracenut
01-15-2014, 06:12 AM
We have also used the bleach/water spray around the camper...... and the granular ant killer from Walmart..... both work well......

Outbackmel
01-22-2014, 01:13 PM
I bought a 5 lb sledge hammer and sit on watch as the little pests arrive . I found that one strike per ant usually kills that ant . It is fun!! Bad news is I have beaten my RV to pieces, smashed the wheels, but, I think I am gaining ground on them suckers. Watch for my new reality tv show : Ant Killer , no remorse!

Where did I train ?! Watching CaddyShack of course !io

rode2nowhere
01-22-2014, 02:40 PM
Orange or carbonated soda also kills mice, they can't fart, go figure;)