PDA

View Full Version : Advice on adding rear hitch to tow boat

Oldmcdon
07-07-2013, 06:33 PM
We just bought a Cougar 291RLS with a rear bike rack slide (and Polar Package) and want to add a hitch to tow our boat. Has anyone done this? Also, how do you find/run the wires for the boat trailer lights? Any advice is appreciated.

BulletOwner1
07-07-2013, 06:57 PM
I haven't done this but I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last nite :D !! Just kidding.

But this is what I would be considering if I was doing it;

1. (Obviously) The towing laws of the state you live in AND the states you might go in with this setup.

2. Strength of your trailer frame.

3. I think most folks doing this wire off the trailer lights for the second trailer. Either remove the tail light assemblies and 'T' off the wires and reassemble leaving short pigtails outside the assembly, or, like on my TT, I can access the light wires as they exit the underbelly and go into the back panel.

4. The GCVW of the tow vehicle.

Good luck.

Ken / Claudia
07-08-2013, 09:52 PM
I would not attach a hitch to that bumper to tow anything. It is just a tube of steel metal. I would replace the whole thing and weld on from the frame rails some real steel that could support towing.

3P'sInACougar
07-09-2013, 02:59 AM
Yes hitch must be attached to frame in Michigan. We can be 75 ft nose to tail with first trailer must be a fifth wheel. As far as wiring I would suggest running wires back from box under goose neck since u get all the connections an if 2 nd trailer has electric brakes will be wired in. I was told by my trailer dealer that I needed safety chains to outside of frame as well as hitch. In case first set fails. Need a recreational endorsement on drivers license or cdl with doubles. But hitch needs to be bolted or welded to frame. So good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparky
07-09-2013, 09:24 AM
My keystone dealer told me I would void the frame warranty if I added a hitch. I wanted a hitch for a bike rack. As it turned out my bikes will go in the basement standing upright once I remove the front wheel.

msp2jxr
07-09-2013, 01:23 PM
I have the pull out rack on my trailer and was going to weld a hitch on to the frame myself so we can take our Goldwing with us. I got a price from Crystal Welding a local shop that would do the welding and wiring and decided I would save the $450 and do it myself. The wife being smarter than I stated "REALLY for $450 you would chance the Goldwing going all over the highway if something wasn't right?" Needless to say I dropped the trailer off and picked the trailer up from Crystal Welding and have not had any problems. Just my thoughts... This may be something you want the pro to do. Jay

Bushman512000
07-17-2013, 04:48 AM
I have this for use to tow a 12' cargo or hold the gen.rack ...home made with a bit of over kill for safety after all would not like to have any let goes on the road Bushman:D