PDA

View Full Version : Had A TIRE BLOW!!!

djbenphillips
07-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Well I guess its inevitable if you own a Travel Trailer that it will happen sooner or later. I guess my time was today. I lost the rear right tire on my 2012 Fuzion 310. Fortunately the injuries were minor but they still need to be repaired. It damaged my "fender flare" and some of the sheet metal skirting directly behind the tire.

Can I get parts directly from Keystone or will I have to go through a dealer? Any help would be greatly appreciated. (tx)

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_86016_0_61d347f6d53e775f5e6cee24a2b4031d.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/brp1999/media/IMG_20130707_162813_102_zps16efc925.jpg.html)

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_86016_1_22650d8645bfb6be9cecd0970aec8f65.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/brp1999/media/IMG_20130707_162754_654_zpse8cc618b.jpg.html)

diugo
07-07-2013, 05:58 PM
Ebay is a possibility, but it's easiest to get the right part from a dealer---and you may even get a discount if you use the same dealer you bought your RV from.

Big plastic parts come with ridiculous shipping charges. One of the many things I learned on this forum is that you might be able to have the parts you need shipped completely free---inside another new RV headed from Keystone to that dealer. Not all dealers are willing to do this, but it does not hurt to ask. Obviously, you may have to wait a bit longer for the parts to arrive.

suza
07-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Well I guess its inevitable if you own a Travel Trailer that it will happen sooner or later. I guess my time was today. I lost the rear right tire on my 2012 Fuzion 310. Fortunately the injuries were minor but they still need to be repaired. It damaged my "fender flare" and some of the sheet metal skirting directly behind the tire.

Can I get parts directly from Keystone or will I have to go through a dealer? Any help would be greatly appreciated. (tx)

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_86043_0_61d347f6d53e775f5e6cee24a2b4031d.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/brp1999/media/IMG_20130707_162813_102_zps16efc925.jpg.html)

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_86043_1_22650d8645bfb6be9cecd0970aec8f65.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/brp1999/media/IMG_20130707_162754_654_zpse8cc618b.jpg.html)

Sorry for your mishap! Probably the hot weather had something to do with it.

Ron
07-07-2013, 08:27 PM
You would think the manufacturers would get a clue some day and quit putting junk tires on these RVs, especially the larger heavier ones...I ended up putting 14 ply on ours, now I can tow with confidence....

mamestra
07-08-2013, 05:09 PM
Have you checked with the tire manufacture? We had a blowout on ours, I kept the tire and contacted Goodyear and they covered the repair.

Ken / Claudia
07-08-2013, 10:04 PM
You do not say what tires they are. If they are tow max go to their web site. They do have a warranty.

diugo
07-09-2013, 07:29 AM
I'd love to hear from someone who got relief from Towmax's warranty. First, the tire has to be in inspectable shape. If it's destroyed, they (like all tire manufacturers) will simply say it was underinflated and deny the claim. Then there are Towmax's arcane documentation requirements. Finally, you have to find an actual Towmax dealer and take the tire there. All this---just for another Towmax!

chuck&gail
07-09-2013, 03:44 PM
Make sure you carefully check the OTHER tires. If they are Chinese, they may all be ready to fail IMHO.

Ken / Claudia
07-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Diugo,thats good information, I did not read thru the warranty information. Only just that there is one. It would figure that to use it most won't due to to much trouble.

diugo
07-09-2013, 04:20 PM
Make sure you carefully check the OTHER tires. If they are Chinese, they may all be ready to fail IMHO.

Certainly the tire on the same side as the failed one should be carefully examined---particularly if it handled the double load for any extended period of time. My blowout was one of my rear tires and I didn't notice it for several miles---by then it had disintegrated and I just happened to notice chunks of tread in the mirror.

So out of an abundance of caution I chose to replace that other Towmax---which actually did its job quite admirably, if you think about it. Thus "Made in China" was not a sufficient reason to replace the other original two. I did rotate things so that they are now on the front axle, however.

And I got me a TPMS which has afforded fantastic peace of mind.

T11ravis
07-09-2013, 05:40 PM
I'd love to hear from someone who got relief from Towmax's warranty. First, the tire has to be in inspectable shape. If it's destroyed, they (like all tire manufacturers) will simply say it was underinflated and deny the claim. Then there are Towmax's arcane documentation requirements. Finally, you have to find an actual Towmax dealer and take the tire there. All this---just for another Towmax!

I just went through this with them last month. All it took was a quick email and then a 5 min. phone conversation with Olga who was very polite and professional. She found a local independent tire place within 3 miles for me to swing by for a quick inspection. She called within 48 hrs. with a prorated amount and I had a check in my hand 10 days later. I was free to buy whatever tire I wanted from anywhere.
Pretty easy really. :cool:

diugo
07-09-2013, 06:50 PM
I just went through this with them last month. All it took was a quick email and then a 5 min. phone conversation with Olga who was very polite and professional. She found a local independent tire place within 3 miles for me to swing by for a quick inspection. She called within 48 hrs. with a prorated amount and I had a check in my hand 10 days later. I was free to buy whatever tire I wanted from anywhere.
Pretty easy really. :cool:

Great to know, Travis. With my TPMS I should be able to catch the next one before it disintegrates. That Towmax would simply cut a check is very impressive. What amount did you get, if I may ask? Did you have to present documentation asserting that the failed tire was installed only on your trailer by Keystone---as the warranty clearly states?

T11ravis
07-10-2013, 05:57 AM
They sent me $100 out of a max of either $120 or $130 (can't remember what she said). That # was based off tread depth that was measured during the inspection.
IIRC I think she did ask for my VIN # which proved the camper was only 8 mos. old so I guess they just assumed I was still using the OEM tires and didn't request additional paperwork, etc.
On a side note, I ordered a TPMS system last week. :D

jcbaker
08-02-2013, 09:49 AM
I am currently battling with Dynamic tire (Mfg. of TowMax) with no luck. Two blowouts on the same weekend, less than 1500 miles on the trailer (2012 Passport 26BHWE). I know for a fact that I am not overloaded and the tire pressures were holding strong at the max. pressure before I left. I sent all five tires to Dynamic, two of which were completely destroyed. They are sticking their head in the sand. They've offered a "goodwill" credit for each tire if I sign a "release of liability," but will not cover the $4000 in damages to my trailer. How nice of them...

Have also contacted the dealership and Keystone, as I think they have some responsibility in this situation. Nobody cares and I'm very disappointed in their responses! Currently seeking legal advice.

Ken / Claudia
08-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Not alot of information on your blow out as to where the tires where or age etc. I guess maybe they were on the same side when one blew out the other was overloaded and failed. I do not know how the dealer or keystone has anything to sue over but, that's for a lawyer. A friend had a blow out on a toy hauler with damage to trailer and filed an insurence claim that paid. I have thought I would go that route if/when that happens to me. Also get full metal valve stems on the new wheels so you can rule out valve failure. (That I did have x2)

djbenphillips
09-02-2013, 02:06 PM
Well, coming home from the lake today after the Labor day holiday, I had another one blow. This time Driver side rear tire. Tire is 14 months old from the day I bought the tire. Tow max 235/80/16. I even checked the pressure before we left JUST to be sure.

Im done with these. Whats a good replacement that you guys have put on in place of these? Any suggestions and links would be helpful. Fixing to start making some longer trips in the upcoming weeks to UT football games and I do not want to have to change a tire every trip I make!

EricLynnAllison
09-02-2013, 02:15 PM
I put Firestone Transforce HT, truck tire, all around after losing 3 towmax in t weeks.

Festus2
09-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Many of our members, including myself, have gone to Maxxis. You can check out their website to see what they have in that size and depending upon where you live there may be a Discount, Les Schwaab or other retailer that carries them. I know Discount does but not sure about Schwaab. Ordering online would be another option.

abneynormal
09-02-2013, 04:53 PM
all st (special trailer) tires are rated for 65 MPH maximum. we blew 3 power king tires. I chunked them for firestone transforce ht tires max speed 106 mph. note they don't have the same load carrying capacity as the st tires. my 3912 has 3 axles and 16 inch rims so I still exceed the carrying capacity of the axles with the firestones.
I would recommend weighing your rv. I use the axle weight. most talk about dropping your rv on the scales to weigh it. DONT the scale master will be pissed. if you want to get the actual weight weigh your rig. drop your trailer then reweigh your tow venicle only. add the difference on your drives to the rv. if you just worry about fixing the damage and not the cause you will have problems again. note: if you have 15 inch rims you might have to just put maxxis tires on they are st tires but I have heard nothing but good things about them. yes they are rated 65 mph

djbenphillips
09-03-2013, 08:45 AM
Anyone put the Goodyear G614 RST's on? I'm just concerned about my "factory" wheels being compatible with the pressure. They are rated for 3750@110. That gets me well above my weight limits.

antiqfreq
09-03-2013, 12:27 PM
I dont worry about my MAXXIS 8008's having a tow rating of 65 mph; as we don't tow over that anyway.......

Never had a tire blow and my MAXXIS tires are getting replaced next week after six years on our fiver and we have traveled allover the country with them.

Jo

;)

Michael Watkins
09-07-2013, 04:12 PM
I have a Cougar 323 MKS (2012) and have actually gotten the standard prorated refund from them. It was no battle the lady olga was very nice 800-238-6469. She does have rules she has to follow. Do I think it was enough no, and the fact 3 out of the 5 Towmax (Blowmax!) tires failed I got rid of them all. I am having trouble getting refund (even prorated for the 2 tires that did not fail (YET!) I upgraded to the Goodyear G614RST. they were pricy but I really like piece of mind. I also picked up a Tire Tracker set for the rig. I cannot tell you how great the Goodyears are as our first trip with them is coming up but reading the forum and other reports they seemed great (Not so for Towmax).

W5WI
09-09-2013, 06:04 AM
Sounds like many of us have had the same luck with TowMax tires...

When I was airing up my spare tire I noticed chunks of tread missing. The tire was less than 18 months old and had never been on the ground! I replaced the tire and checked the tires on the ground. They all looked good...

I got about 250 miles from my home and had a blowout on the 5ers front tire on the drivers side. I was on the eastbound lane of I-64 and traffic was very heavy. I called 911 and had a law enforcement officer park behind me with his lights flashing. I quickly learned that Illinois does not have a law requiring vehicles to move over for emergency vehicles. The police officer was having trouble getting folks to move over even with his lights flashing!

Yep, it damaged the sheetmetal... As stated above, the TowMax tires came on my Cougar 326MKS and are less than 18 months old. They looked new! They have always been covered when stored. Unfortunately, my dealer, Loveall's RV is out of business and I have no local dealer for the TowMax tires to even attempt an adjustment.

Luckily, I managed to find a Goodyear dealer in the next town so, I replaced all the TowMax tires with Goodyear Marathons. I've had excellent luck with them in the past, so I have confidence in them.

Cheers,

dale

Jager
09-09-2013, 07:36 AM
Not sure how close to the weight rating you are on your tires but I just put a set of GY Marathons on last fall, they currently have less than 1,000 miles on them and they have bulges in them.

byrdr1
09-09-2013, 07:56 AM
well to chime in.
I have two Maxxis 8008 load range "E" on mine now, I wanted to replace the other 2 powerkings/towmasters or what ever they are and the spare but have not yet! I had a bluge on one so I know it needed to be replaced and replaced the front two tires before summer vacation. Lately I have had other expenses that have gotten in my way of these 3 tire replacements. plus its been sitting for almost 4 months. Dang old tire questions.......
randy
PS I know I am pushing my luck...with 3 year old tires this month. well my camper was bought 3 years ago around 9-27-2010.

audio1der
09-09-2013, 11:09 AM
Glad to hear you're more or less OK.
A blow-out with some repairs was my justification for our TST 507 TPMS setup. I figure if it saves us from an unplanned event + any repairs to the trailer itself, it will have paid for itself.

howard
09-09-2013, 11:48 AM
I decided not to take a chance with the Towmax tires. After reading lots of reviews here, I bought 4 new Maxxis tires and a tire pressure monitoring system. Discount Tire was great to deal with on the phone and I was amazed at how quickly the tires came. They even had a list of installers near my house. The used tire dealer paid me $10.00 each for the Towmax tires that had about 4K miles on them.

Bob Landry
09-09-2013, 01:20 PM
I think the Tow Max tires are what came on my Outback. I had a couple of years and probably 3000 miles on them and was starting to look at them with a worked eye after all of the posts about them. I changed them out for a set of 10 ply maxis tires. I'll run them for a while and see how they hold up. I would have gone with LTs, but they are tough to find in 15".

W5WI
09-11-2013, 03:13 PM
Not sure how close to the weight rating you are on your tires but I just put a set of GY Marathons on last fall, they currently have less than 1,000 miles on them and they have bulges in them.

I purchased load range E which is well within the weight range of my 5er. I have the GY Marathons on the two Airstreams I own and have excellent experience with them.

My 5er is rated to be pulled by a 3/4 ton truck so it's pretty light on it's feet... :)

cheers,

dale

K4BEV
10-02-2013, 12:59 PM
We went on a 600 mile round trip to Fall Creek Falls a few weeks ago.
I put 4 brand new Maxxis M8008 Load Range E tires on the trailer and blew them all up to 75 psi.
Weather was cool and I never went over 60 mph. In fact, I rarely even hit 60.

202 miles into the trip the passenger side front tire came apart!
I noticed the smoke almost immediately and pulled over right then.

Called Summit Racing where I bought it - They shipped me a new one and a return label for the blown one --- Haven't heard anything from them or Maxxis yet.

antiqfreq
10-03-2013, 05:17 AM
We just replaced out MAXXIS tires this past weekend. They were 5 1/2 years old. Didn't even show tread wear. Have over 25,000 miles on them easily.

Only replaced due to age......

New ones were manufactured July 2013!

Jo

JRTJH
10-03-2013, 05:29 AM
I put 4 brand new Maxxis M8008 Load Range E tires on the trailer and blew them all up to 75 psi.

Called Summit Racing where I bought it - They shipped me a new one and a return label for the blown one --- Haven't heard anything from them or Maxxis yet.

Please keep us posted as you hear from Maxxis and/or Summit Racing. This seems to be a "rare occurrance" and I'm sure members who have Maxxis tires (or are thinking about buying them) would like to know the results of your problelm.

Thanks

Jim & DJ
10-03-2013, 01:06 PM
Had the same problem, only one flat and the other blew to pieces.

No more GY Marathons.

Have changed all tires to Michelin XPS Rib E

K4BEV
10-14-2013, 04:12 PM

Please keep us posted as you hear from Maxxis and/or Summit Racing. This seems to be a "rare occurrance" and I'm sure members who have Maxxis tires (or are thinking about buying them) would like to know the results of your problelm.

Thanks

I hadn't heard anything from either of them yet - So I called Summit this morning.
Their customer service rep told me that the tire was replaced under warranty at NO charge to me.
I asked what, if anything, Maxxis determined what had happened but the only info that he had was that it was covered.

Works for me :)