PDA

View Full Version : Venture 5th wheel landing gear

randy69
07-01-2013, 11:10 AM
The front landing gear motor gearbox wables. When I raise the trailor the motor tries to raise but I here gears that are not meshing up right. Eventually will bind up With my hand crank for assistant I can achieve the raise no problem .Lowering it down it is ok. Can I remove the gear box and motor with out hitching up??

Festus2
07-01-2013, 11:21 AM
As long as you are satisfied that the landing jack itself is okay and won't collapse. On one trip, some of the mechanism inside one of the jacks itself broke and the inner part of the jack fell down. Fortunately, I was hooked up to the truck and the 5th wheel didn't collapse as well. We were on our way home but spent the next 2 days with the 5th wheel and truck "married to each other" for the remainder of the trip back.

As a precaution, if you have any jacks or other blocks you can put underneath the frame of the 5th wheel while you are removing the motor and gear box, that might be a smart move.

Personally, I think that whole front landing jack system needs to be beefed up - a larger motor, a more sturdy gearbox and a rod that doesn't look like it is falling apart.

Good luck with the repair.