PDA

View Full Version : Jacking Up RV

Gilstan
08-05-2010, 12:10 PM
I have a new Outback Sydney 32FRE and would like to know the proper way to jack up the RV both for changing a tire and blocking to work on both axels. I have heard that you should not jack on the axels but the frame??

Jim W
08-06-2010, 08:28 AM
For changing a flat tire, I have purchased a device called a Trailer aid. This allows you to pull the trailer either to the front or backwards and then position the good tire on it, thus raising the trailer. Loosen the tires lug nuts first then place the good tire on the trailer aid. I have used this and it works will.
For greasing the tires I use two 20 Ton bottle jacks to raise the frame. The large bottle jacks provide ther necessary clearance for me.
Jim

GBHRPS
08-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Gilstan,
Back a while ago there was a thread where someone wanted to lift his entire trailer off of its wheels during storage periods. He was going to jack up the trailer at its four corners using the frame. A pile of knowledgeable people jumped onto the thread to discourage him from bending his frame by doing so.

The frame can support the trailer without bending, at or very near where the spring shackles are welded to the frame. Anywhere else is spelling disaster. I have a friend who tried to level his trailer at the rear using his stabilizer jacks, and he buckled the rear wall of the trailer quite noticeably around his windows. The rear wall did not come back after he let the jacks down.

That said, I routinely jack up my trailer for bearing/brake service one wheel at a time, using my garage floor jack under the axle. I have even blocked up all 4 wheels on the axles when I recently sandblasted and painted the wheels and installed new tires. If the jack is placed as close to the wheel and spring as possible, I see no reason not to use the axle as a jacking point.

Jack the trailer up under its axles, or under the frame next to the spring shackle points front and rear, and you should be perfectly safe. Obviously you'll have your front jacks down as well, and have the frame or axles jacked up only as high as is necessary to change the tires.

Gene

antiqfreq
08-07-2010, 07:05 AM
Ah come on Jim,

You don't 'really' use TWO 20 ton bottle jacks do you ?

How big are 'those' things?

(Just kidding with ya!)

Jo:rolleyes:

CWtheMan
08-07-2010, 10:07 AM
The proper procedure for Keystone products can be found on page 20 of the reference provided below.

http://www.keystonerv.com/media2/manual/Owners_Manual_08_09.pdf

CW