PDA

View Full Version : Forget the bike rack!!!

cabinfever
06-30-2013, 04:41 PM
I saw a 5er today with a motorcycle hanging off the back!

davidjsimons
06-30-2013, 05:08 PM
So did I.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

f6bits
06-30-2013, 05:41 PM
That's a great way to reduce pin weight!

I really have no problem with that as long as the rear mount is sturdy enough for that. I've seen motorcycle racks designed to go into a Class IV receiver. It most likely exceeds the rated hitch weight, though.

Ruffus
07-01-2013, 01:48 AM
It may be a good way to reduce pin weight but it also can be a great way to increase trailer sway and instability, just be careful.:banghead:

cabinfever
07-01-2013, 05:04 AM
Ruffus, it looked to me the 5er was a bit squirrely going down the road.

tribalsimba
01-06-2014, 07:54 PM
I think the square tube bumper is too thin for a dirt bike reciver carrier, but I do want one, and would like to fab up the square tube to be stronger. The 500 labs might throw off dry tongue weight, but fill up the fresh, and it probably levels.

JRTJH
01-06-2014, 08:19 PM
I wouldn't consider trying to "beef up the square tube" bumper, rather go under the trailer and tie into the frame. If you crawl under the back end of your trailer and look at the square tubing extensions welded to the frame that support your bumper, you'll realize there's not much metal there to hold anything other than that lightweight bumper. The frame ends about 12" forward of the bumper and the only thing holding it in place is some cheap 14 gage square tubing.

geo
01-07-2014, 06:25 AM
May I suggest an Idaho Tote?

http://www.idahotote.com/

Ron

antiqfreq
01-07-2014, 08:57 AM
If my hubby sees that tote we are off and running with the atv's.

He wanted to tow the atv trailer behind the fiver and I didn't want to.
Nor did I want to drive a separate vehicle pulling the trailer.

This tote seems like the solution for our two atv's - I am compelled
to tell him!

Jo

:eek:

I gotta admit, at $7,000 for the larger size, that is a little steep !!!

geo
01-07-2014, 02:36 PM
If my hubby sees that tote we are off and running with the atv's.

He wanted to tow the atv trailer behind the fiver and I didn't want to.
Nor did I want to drive a separate vehicle pulling the trailer.

This tote seems like the solution for our two atv's - I am compelled
to tell him!

Jo

:eek:

I gotta admit, at $7,000 for the larger size, that is a little steep !!!

Jo -

I agree, the price does seem a little steep. I think there's quite a bit of money tied up in the "steering" on the wheels.

However, would Georgia allow an Idaho tote? :D Might have to also pay an import duty! :D

Ron

Outbackmel
01-08-2014, 05:48 PM
$7,000 won't buy you much. I talked with a retired welding fabricator with a $100,000 + 5er, pulled by a $75,000 top of the line dually with a HUGE Idaho Tote on the rear. The quality is what intrigued me to walk over and take a close look. VERY IMPRESSIVE. He had short extensions on the back of the rv frame and this rig was solid and nice, very nice. I believe he told me he had like $12,000 in the trailer. (Could be wrong, like LOW) He was concerned about triple tow laws, but, was willing to risk it since it is BOLTED on, in two places. He said if he were cited, he would hire a lawyer to fight it.

I must say, it certainly looked like a GREAT way to travel.

Wife and I discussed buying a similar rig and 2 new Harleys. We are just 6 numbers away from financial freedom. Our turn is coming. (Hopefully soon) "bouncey:

BobnLee
01-08-2014, 07:01 PM
Would love to have one but Georgia and Florida stops me. I dont know if they would be legal in those two states. The New Horizons fifth wheel has a motorcycle lift as an option. Only problem is fully decked out trailer is $220,000 and weighs in at over 20,000 lbs.