PDA

View Full Version : Propane hose, pre or post regulator?

eds451
06-30-2013, 10:52 AM
The PO added an external propane hose BEFORE the onboard regulator. The hose is stored in the tank closet. This setup allows me to use a standard grill hookup with the grill regulator.
Now I would like to add a QC at the rear of the trailer. I can tee off the supply to the kitchen oven, no problem. I understand the QC is already running through the regulator and the grill does not need one.
My query to the group is...should I replace the high pressure hose with a low pressure QC(post regulator) for safety sake and the DW's peace of mind?

Kudos to all here. I really appreciate the knowledge and camaraderie.

Bob Landry
06-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Your post is a little difficult to follow, but I'll give it a shot. You said the PO added a hose, but it's stored in the tank closet. Does that mean that he added a QC at the tank and the hose is detachable?
The high press hose will work fine if you want to keep that current setup. I'm not a big fan of attaching stuff at the tanks/regulator simply because to me, it gets in the way when you want to remove a tank for a refill. It's easy enough to add a QC off of the low press manifold, but if you do, then you have to make the choice of which QC you want to run the stove off of, the hi or the low press one. You can't have it both ways. If you decide to run the stove off of the low pressure QC, then you'll have to remove the stove's regulator. If you have a Coleman stove, that becomes very difficult.Also, there are high pressure and low pressure QC fittings and they are not always interchangeable with each other. I ran into this when I was adapting a CampChef stove to run on the same QC as my baby Q grill. I was able to match everything so that I can run both my grill and camp stove off of the low press QC and only have to deal with one hose. A high pressure hose will work, it's the compatible fittings that you will have to be careful about. I would stick with one or the other, it will save a lot of confusion on what works with what, and it keeps the accessories to a minimum.

If you do add a low pressure QC, and it's simple to do, be sure you get one with a built in cut off. They have been known to leak.

eds451
06-30-2013, 04:15 PM
Apologies for not being more clear. The current external hose is connected to a valve BEFORE the regulator. I can attach any propane device as long as it has it's own regulator. This has worked well so far for ONE stove.
I want to add another propane hookup (QC) at the rear of the trailer. From what I've read both here and other sites, a QC is best suited for low pressure setups.
I think I will change over my high pressure hose to a low pressure QC. While the existing setup makes it real easy to attach a stove, I feel safety outweighs convenience.

Baking in central California..107 currently!!!

EricLynnAllison
07-01-2013, 05:09 AM
I have always worked off the high pressure side (15 yrs, 2 RVs). My coleman grill has a special regulator. I have a shutoff at the tanks. I use a Y with the small propane tank adapter type fittings to use grill and stove with two hoses. I've also hard piped it to the opposite side of the trailer for convenience. Pictures at "Utility Mods".

eds451
07-01-2013, 06:27 AM
Eric, I like what you did. I have a shutoff valve on the hi pressure hose, but having one at the end of the pipe as well makes safety sense.