PDA

View Full Version : Negotiating with Dealer

Aquasea
06-26-2013, 07:56 PM
Question: Negotiating a price on a new Mountaineer with our local dealer. Before the sales person could give us a price off the MSRP through his manager, he told us he needed our drivers licenses to do so. We gave them to him (I feel like an idiot for doing so), but told them under no circumstances did we want them to run a credit check on us until we agree on something as we are in the process of taking out a loan for our business and did not want that interfering etc. He was gone for awhile, came back with a ridiculous price (not much off) and we left. It has been bugging me what that was about. Anyone? Ugh. Thx!!

GaryWT
06-27-2013, 03:14 AM
Some dealers work so many different angles. They might have checked on something but you might not know. Good luck in your hunt and good luck with your business.

wva3185
06-27-2013, 03:26 AM
but I think they would have to have your SS# to run a credit check. I have had dealers, when taking an auto for a test drive, request my license but no one else.

f6bits
06-27-2013, 05:08 AM
I suspect they just wanted to harvest your contact information. Count that as a business lead and the sales person can get some points or whatever for spending time with a potential customer.

labs4life
06-27-2013, 05:30 AM
I suspect they just wanted to harvest your contact information. Count that as a business lead and the sales person can get some points or whatever for spending time with a potential customer.

^^^^^^^this. They can't run a true credit check without your social. Insurance companies can get an insurance score with your name, DOB, and current address. This is not a credit score!!!! I doubt they can do the same. It was most likely a way to get your contact info.

Devildogmom
07-06-2013, 04:36 AM
but I think they would have to have your SS# to run a credit check. I have had dealers, when taking an auto for a test drive, request my license but no one else.

I think you are correct.

JRTJH
07-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Some states use the SSN as the driver's license number, I'm not sure whether Nevada is one of those states or not. In states that do use the SSN, it would be pretty easy to get most any information about a person based on their "DL number"

labs4life
07-06-2013, 10:43 AM
Some states use the SSN as the driver's license number, I'm not sure whether Nevada is one of those states or not. In states that do use the SSN, it would be pretty easy to get most any information about a person based on their "DL number"

I remember when MS did that, in fact they still did it when I moved from there in '99. I remember my dad not liking it when they changed the system. Now it is changed to a different number and he will not even use PayPal,b/c he thinks someone will high jack his info!!
I think most have have gone away from using SS as DL #'s, but I could be wrong. I have been before!

CBrownGetsDown
07-21-2013, 03:48 PM
I am an RV Salesperson, some sales people just cannot build relationships and rapour with customers. No ID needed for pricing. Sounds like a salesperson who doesn't wanna know his customers or remember their names!