PDA

View Full Version : Dealer Responsibility (as of 2013)

KanTC
06-26-2013, 05:08 AM
While searching for some info yesterday I noticed something "new" in the 2013 Owners Manual ---

the topic of 'Dealer Responsibility' has been discussed here from time to time, and I thought our members might find
this change very interesting. ;) Good-to-know info..... and, hopefully all of the dealers 'got the memo' too. :p

Chapter 1 - Page 5: Dealer Service; Dealer Responsibilities [IN PART]

#1. Provide timely service under the terms of the limited one year warranty whether the product was purchased from
them or from another Keystone dealership.

http://www.keystonerv.com/media/728922/owners_manual_final_4-25-13.pdf

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

JRTJH
06-26-2013, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the updated information.

It looks like Keystone is taking a pro-active approach to making sure the customer is cared for. That's not the same "oh well" approach from Forest River. Their owner's manual essentially says, BUY LOCAL (or you might not get service).....

Good to know, Keystone is different. :)

x96mnn
06-26-2013, 08:50 AM
Not sure if this will fix the good dealer/bad dealer dilemma but a step in the right direction.

f6bits
06-26-2013, 08:52 AM
Being pessimistic, just because it's in writing doesn't mean it'll be easy to do. A lousy dealer won't have any problem coming up with excuses why they can't provide timely service, and it'll be up to you to fight them (or call Keystone) every step of the way.

Keystone shouldn't have put this in writing. It should be the norm.

davidjsimons
06-26-2013, 12:59 PM
Many dealers sell units from more than one manufacturer. If a dealer sells a Forrest River product and they don't have a strong position on warranty service on a unit that that particular dealer didn't sell, but Keystone does, I know whose unit will be worked on first. I'm glad they put it in writing. That puts the dealer on notice as well as informing the customer. No dealer wants a manufacturers rep that stays on their case with respect to warranty claims.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Javi
06-26-2013, 01:06 PM
I have a great ocean front lot just outside of Yuma, Arizona....."bouncey:

Essness
06-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the updated information.

It looks like Keystone is taking a pro-active approach to making sure the customer is cared for. That's not the same "oh well" approach from Forest River. Their owner's manual essentially says, BUY LOCAL (or you might not get service).....

Good to know, Keystone is different. :)

I always thought FR's position was interesting on this point. I actually had a couple local dealers quote FR on it. My last one was a FR product. When the local dealers wouldnt deal on the purchase, I went with the one 150 miles away that actually wanted my business. Then I found a local dealer that was authorised for other FR products to do the service for us both paid and warranty.

I personally feel better that Keystone has taken this position.

JRTJH
06-26-2013, 07:43 PM
I always thought FR's position was interesting on this point. I actually had a couple local dealers quote FR on it. My last one was a FR product. When the local dealers wouldnt deal on the purchase, I went with the one 150 miles away that actually wanted my business. Then I found a local dealer that was authorised for other FR products to do the service for us both paid and warranty.

I personally feel better that Keystone has taken this position.

This is only speculation on my part, but I'd tend to believe that THOR, Keystone's parent company had a bit to do with the change in philosophy. Thor also owns Airstream and several other "high end" RV names. Those owners put literally hundreds of thousands into an RV. To be jacked around by a "lazy dealer" or one that "just takes care of my own customers" puts some of those "high roller owners" on edge. When we had our Airstream, we were always welome at any dealership service department. They all had refreshment centers, plush waiting rooms and "we'll get right on your problem" attitudes..... I never was asked, "Are you one of our regular customers?" Of course, it seems that the only time any RV breaks down is when you're away from home, so dragging it back from Florida or from Arizona so 'my dealer" can fix it is a pretty "outdated" way to handle service work for a mobile product.

For whatever the reason, I'm glad it's in writing..... Let's just hope that making the change in the manual wasn't a mistake made by a junior customer service rep who got promoted to proof reader in the warranty department LOL :cool:

suza
06-28-2013, 11:06 PM
We chose to "buy local" as we do with everything we purchase. Our dealer is a family owned business. They treat their customers well and offer excellent service. That's why they are still in business, after 45 years. Not only did we help the local economy by keeping our money "at home", but we got a deal better than any "big city dealer" who wouldn't care an iota about us after we towed our RV home.

Dadstoy
06-29-2013, 03:33 AM
Ive been waiting a month to get a couch repaired. I'm about to start raising cain with my dealer.

Bob Landry
06-29-2013, 04:06 AM
The Customer Service statement looks good on paper, but I would really rather see Keystone adopt that idea for their own customer service so when you call them needing information you can actually get past the girl call screener and get to someone who has and is willing to give out information you need. Many of us are quite capable of fixing our own plumbing and electrical issues. The idea that that will not even tell you were to find an electrical connection, for liability reasons, is simply absurd.

JRTJH
06-29-2013, 06:02 AM
Bob, I totally agree with you on the CS issues. But it's not just Keystone. I well remember when I bought my F150, I contacted Ford CS and Ford engineering services trying to get some data on just exactly what the different components were between the 9700 lb towing package and the 11,300 towing package. You know, to this day, nobody at Ford was willing to tell me if the hitch assembly was the same, whether there was a difference in the spring/shock assemblies, or what constituted the components to build the heavier tow rating. All I ever got, in phone calls, emails, letters, and frustrated repeats of all of those was the statement, "Contact your local Ford dealer for additional information."

I finally got with the local Ford parts guy, we started looking up the different Ford part numbers on two trucks (by VIN) one with the lighter towing package and one with the heavier towing package. All we could find on the part numbers was the same parts were installed on both the 9700 and the 11300 tow ratings. So, is Ford guilty of the same "I won't tell you" attitude that we complain of with Keystone??? They sure weren't "forthcoming" with information even on what parts were installed on my truck.

It would be great if Keystone would provide the engineering drawings or at least a block diagram of what flows where, but it's not something they currently provide to customers. With my recent trailer repairs, I did a lot of talking with the service manager at CW. It's not just customers that get the "not available" answer from Keystone. When he was working on my roof, there was an issue with some of the superstructure. He finally wound up talking with one of the engineering team to discuss the repair as there were no drawings/structural blueprints available in the CS department or in the Dealer's Support offices at Keystone.

Essness
06-29-2013, 07:04 AM
We chose to "buy local" as we do with everything we purchase. Our dealer is a family owned business. They treat their customers well and offer excellent service. That's why they are still in business, after 45 years. Not only did we help the local economy by keeping our money "at home", but we got a deal better than any "big city dealer" who wouldn't care an iota about us after we towed our RV home.

I always prefer to support my local economy. However, ther is always a break point. My local dealers, (within 75 miles) quoted the FR web page about service being given priority based on having purchased from them. But yet their price and attitudes were completely unacceptable.
I have a CW 22 miles from my house in IL, 5 years ago when I started looking at campers they were very dismissive and not willing to give me any time to answer questions. (It was November) So, I found anther dealer who happend to be in IA. When it came time to buy the current rig, I went to the CW in Madison, WI (64 miles from my house) because they gave me the time and answered all my questions. It cost me more in gas but I'll be damned if I'm going to give the folks in IL any business based on how I was treated when I was looking to get started.
The FR product I bought in IA was serviced by a local family owned business that was a FR dealer but not a dealer for my family of product. They were great and I paid them a lot of money to perform all sorts of upgrades to the unit.

Bottom line, treat me right and we will both enjoy doing business together.

Bob Landry
06-29-2013, 07:09 AM
Bob, I totally agree with you on the CS issues. But it's not just Keystone. I well remember when I bought my F150, I contacted Ford CS and Ford engineering services trying to get some data on just exactly what the different components were between the 9700 lb towing package and the 11,300 towing package. You know, to this day, nobody at Ford was willing to tell me if the hitch assembly was the same, whether there was a difference in the spring/shock assemblies, or what constituted the components to build the heavier tow rating. All I ever got, in phone calls, emails, letters, and frustrated repeats of all of those was the statement, "Contact your local Ford dealer for additional information."

I finally got with the local Ford parts guy, we started looking up the different Ford part numbers on two trucks (by VIN) one with the lighter towing package and one with the heavier towing package. All we could find on the part numbers was the same parts were installed on both the 9700 and the 11300 tow ratings. So, is Ford guilty of the same "I won't tell you" attitude that we complain of with Keystone??? They sure weren't "forthcoming" with information even on what parts were installed on my truck.

It would be great if Keystone would provide the engineering drawings or at least a block diagram of what flows where, but it's not something they currently provide to customers. With my recent trailer repairs, I did a lot of talking with the service manager at CW. It's not just customers that get the "not available" answer from Keystone. When he was working on my roof, there was an issue with some of the superstructure. He finally wound up talking with one of the engineering team to discuss the repair as there were no drawings/structural blueprints available in the CS department or in the Dealer's Support offices at Keystone.

I once asked KS for an electrical diagram and was told that there was no such diagram. Then I asked them if they just handed each assembly line person a few rolls of wire and told them to just go do what looked right. I then called BS on the whole thing and hung up. Since then, I've just tracked down, sorted out, and repaired my own problems. It's a lot less stress doing it that way.

You can bet that I'll make a few phantom calls before I but my next trailer, and if I don't like the answers Even automobiles have aftermarket service manuals available to the buying public.

Bob Landry
06-29-2013, 07:13 AM
I always prefer to support my local economy. However, ther is always a break point. My local dealers, (within 75 miles) quoted the FR web page about service being given priority based on having purchased from them. But yet their price and attitudes were completely unacceptable.
I have a CW 22 miles from my house in IL, 5 years ago when I started looking at campers they were very dismissive and not willing to give me any time to answer questions. (It was November) So, I found anther dealer who happend to be in IA. When it came time to buy the current rig, I went to the CW in Madison, WI (64 miles from my house) because they gave me the time and answered all my questions. It cost me more in gas but I'll be damned if I'm going to give the folks in IL any business based on how I was treated when I was looking to get started.
The FR product I bought in IA was serviced by a local family owned business that was a FR dealer but not a dealer for my family of product. They were great and I paid them a lot of money to perform all sorts of upgrades to the unit.

I agree. In my area there is a dealer with two stores. They are like night and day. One I won't walk into for any reason. The other, although they weren't an Outback dealer when I bought mine, they service it with a smile when I need something, and I get what I think is a quality job. I did buy my first trailer from them and maybe that helps, but when I walk into a service or parts department, ask for something, and get a response like I just upset the guy's whole day, he doesn't have to worry about me being an imposition again.

JRTJH
06-29-2013, 08:59 AM
...I then called BS on the whole thing and hung up. Since then, I've just tracked down, sorted out, and repaired my own problems. It's a lot less stress doing it that way.

... Even automobiles have aftermarket service manuals available to the buying public.

There are blueprints and engineering diagrams available. Heck, there's even flow sheets that indicate what must be finished before the trailer in assembly can move to the next station on the line. All of that is available "to Keystone" but not to anyone else. I can't explain why they protect that data so closely, I've no idea. Yes it is frustrating, very much so. But neither you nor I can change that. :(

As for aftermarket service manuals for automobiles, you're right, they are available, but Ford's "proprietary data" isn't included in those manuals, nor, apparently is it available to the public. I finally gave up trying to determine the "engineering differences" between the 9,700 lb and the 11,300 lb towing packages. All the engine, transmission, suspension and hardware such as hitches, bolts, frame have identical part numbers and are interchangable between the two packages, so what makes one "assemby of parts" stronger than the other? Only Ford knows and they ain't talking...... Just as Keystone knows how they route the wiring, plumbing and ducting on their RV's and they ain't sharing that information. I've no clue why they wouldn't share it. After all, if you really wanted to, you could completely disassemble an RV and make your own drawings of exactly where everything is. On vehicles, that is pretty much available online (at least to dealers who are usually happy to share the information) complete with pictures of how the components are assembled. I've used that kind of proprietary data many times and find it very useful. It makes a tough job really much easier to do. It would be great if Keystone shared similar data, but I don't see it happening and I can't fathom why.

A picture is worth a thousand words, and at least words can guide you through a mess, but not with Keystone.

Bob Landry
06-29-2013, 10:18 AM
I'm wondering if there may be some value in creating our own construction database, maybe a sticky. There are a lot of things that have been discovered and uncovered by owners doing mods that have ben shared in threads about the mod or upgrade.
I'm just still trying to figure out what kind of liability Keystone thinks they are protecting themselves against by refusing to tell us where a wire or water connection is located.

suza
06-30-2013, 12:52 PM

I agree, there is great value in service after the sale. We are fortuante to have a great service department within an hours drive of our house. Coming from a small town, I appreciate doing business with people who know you, call you by name, and take pride in serving their customers well. It's not always about the "bottom line".

bucketman
07-01-2013, 05:55 AM
@JRTJH Could it be the size or the addition of the transmission cooler that would increase the towing load. I think I asked the same question at a dealer and if I recall, that is what they told me. Maybe not

JRTJH
07-01-2013, 06:39 PM
@JRTJH Could it be the size or the addition of the transmission cooler that would increase the towing load. I think I asked the same question at a dealer and if I recall, that is what they told me. Maybe not

In 2010, the transmission coolers were the same part number. The only difference I could find (with lots of help from the parts guy) was the rear bumper on the 11,300 tow package was a heavier bumper. But that makes no sense to me because the rear bumper is not connected to the hitch receiver. I could understand towing with a ball on the bumper that the rating would be increased, but towing with the receiver takes the bumper out of the picture. In later models, the transmission cooler may be different, but in 2010, they were both the same. I still, after almost 4 years of owning that truck, never found the answer to that question.... Ford keeps secrets as well as Keystone does LOL

pramey9876
07-02-2013, 09:16 PM
good luck with that find. I've been told by several local dealers that since I did not purchase my unit from them the would not fix it under warranty due to reimbursement rates paid by Keystone. Only one, Camping World, was willing to do the warranty work.
As I was told by one dealer, if I pushed them to fix a problem under warranty the unit would sit in the back lot for a long time. Did I really want to be without my trailer all summer?
Just cause the manual says dealers are supposed to do warranty work does not mean they will. If you force them do you really want your trailer left with them?

JRTJH
07-02-2013, 09:36 PM
good luck with that find. I've been told by several local dealers that since I did not purchase my unit from them the would not fix it under warranty due to reimbursement rates paid by Keystone. Only one, Camping World, was willing to do the warranty work.
As I was told by one dealer, if I pushed them to fix a problem under warranty the unit would sit in the back lot for a long time. Did I really want to be without my trailer all summer?
Just cause the manual says dealers are supposed to do warranty work does not mean they will. If you force them do you really want your trailer left with them?

I think it's going to be an "evolutionary" thing. It will take time, customers complaining (objectively) to Keystone about specific dealers and giving facts and names/times/places to document the "poor dealerships" Eventually, it will evolve to what we all enjoy with the automobile manufacturers and their dealers.

To answer your question about "do I really want...." Heck no, If a dealer isn't that concerned about me and my rig, I'll mosey on down the road and keep my money. There's not a thing he has that I'd want to provide him profits on, so he can dry up (hopefully) and shut the doors for all I care.....

Bob Landry
07-03-2013, 03:51 AM
It's just hard for me to wrap around the idea that a dealer would not perform warranty work for a manufacturer they they represent. They may not make as much as they like on a warranty repair, but warranty does not last forever and that warranty customer that you make happy at some point turns into a T&M customer that still needs service and will be happy to pay for it. I would also be curious what the warranty reimbursement rate is.
I'm a Dometic Marine dealer and I make as much off of warranty work as I do my regular customers. In fact they pay well enough that I base my flat rates on the times that they assign to specific jobs because they have figured in travel, diagnostics, and repair time in hours and they pay whatever my shop rate is. Even if I give away some time, it's no big deal, because the guy appreciates that I took care of him that turns him into a repeat customer. There are are some jobs that I really do not want to do, but the previous statement applies there also. I'm just not in business to send work to other shops.

Essness
07-03-2013, 04:25 AM
I think the dealers that refuse, or set low priority on the warranty work for reasons of not having purchased the unit from them will not be around long anyway!
Their business plan is flawed and you can only turn your back on so many potential customers before they shut you down. The internet and access to information has dramatically changed the direct to consumer market place. Some of the dinosaurs have faded away, the ones that are left are slowly marching towards extinction.

Like one of my favorite sayings; "I'm not saying we have to find and kill all the stupid people, I'm just saying lets remove the warning labels and let it sort itself out."

Labracadabera
07-07-2013, 06:30 AM
We were having trouble with the hot water system on our 2012 Keystone 3100RL that we purchased last November at a dealer about 2 hours from our home. We only went outside of our area because no local dealers carried Montana's let alone the model we were looking for. Called the dealer we purchased from and got no response, not even a phone call back. Called Keystone and the first guy I talked to seemed completely uninterested in my problem and gave me the numbers of three authorized Keystone dealers in my area that could do the warranty work. The first place, Mann's in Rutland MA (and I know these people!)were totally rude and had no interest in helping me. He basically said because we didn't buy our trailer there they would fix it when they had time because they HAD to but we were responsible for any additional charges not paid by Keystone. Flagg in WB never called me back. Flagg in Uxbridge was nice but couldn't get us in until the end of August. We have a bunch of trips scheduled and paid for and that just wasn't acceptable to me.

Called a local RV repair shop, Timbuktu, that is about 3 miles from my house. Explained the situation to him and he had us bring it in the next day. I called Keystone back and spoke to a very nice girl who said to have them detail the repair and save any parts and they would reimburse me for the charges. When I spoke to Timbuktu the next day they had at least four hours into the trailer and still couldn't figure out why the system wasn't working. Turns out it needed parts that they had to order but as it was a holiday weekend approaching and we had plans they put in a used part to get us going and ordered the new part. When we picked it up and went to pay them.....no charge! He said he would submit the bills to Suburban, the manufacturer of the water heater, and they would reimburse him. Now that is customer service at it's best.

I will be using Timbuktu and recommending them to anyone in need of RV service. Sad thing is I had spent a lot of money in the past at Mann's on replacement parts for a previous RV and the owner is a friend of my sisters. I know if I had made them realize who they were speaking with they most likely would have treated me different but at that point, I didn't want to deal with them.

Essness
07-07-2013, 06:36 AM
And when it comes time to buy a new one, will Mann be someone you consider buying from?

Labracadabera
07-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Absolutely not Essness!!! When we began our search last fall for a fifth wheel, Mann's was the first place we went as we knew the owner and I like to do business with people I know as well as local business. The sales person was not the slightest bit interested in us. The only Keystones they carried were travel trailers, mostly Springdale and Sprinter and I knew we wanted a Montana. He showed us two other fifth wheels that were not Keystone and not a thing like we were looking for. Now I won't even go to them for misc parts and service. I will take my business elsewhere.......

Essness
07-07-2013, 02:40 PM
Absolutely not Essness!!! When we began our search last fall for a fifth wheel, Mann's was the first place we went as we knew the owner and I like to do business with people I know as well as local business. The sales person was not the slightest bit interested in us. The only Keystones they carried were travel trailers, mostly Springdale and Sprinter and I knew we wanted a Montana. He showed us two other fifth wheels that were not Keystone and not a thing like we were looking for. Now I won't even go to them for misc parts and service. I will take my business elsewhere.......

Thanks Labra, thats my point regarding the flawed buisness plan. It's real easy these days to send someone away that will never come back.
It would always be in the businesses best interest to do whatever it takes to continually impress potential customers and it's easier and cost less to do so.

suza
07-07-2013, 06:30 PM
We were having trouble with the hot water system on our 2012 Keystone 3100RL that we purchased last November at a dealer about 2 hours from our home. We only went outside of our area because no local dealers carried Montana's let alone the model we were looking for. Called the dealer we purchased from and got no response, not even a phone call back. Called Keystone and the first guy I talked to seemed completely uninterested in my problem and gave me the numbers of three authorized Keystone dealers in my area that could do the warranty work. The first place, Mann's in Rutland MA (and I know these people!)were totally rude and had no interest in helping me. He basically said because we didn't buy our trailer there they would fix it when they had time because they HAD to but we were responsible for any additional charges not paid by Keystone. Flagg in WB never called me back. Flagg in Uxbridge was nice but couldn't get us in until the end of August. We have a bunch of trips scheduled and paid for and that just wasn't acceptable to me.

Called a local RV repair shop, Timbuktu, that is about 3 miles from my house. Explained the situation to him and he had us bring it in the next day. I called Keystone back and spoke to a very nice girl who said to have them detail the repair and save any parts and they would reimburse me for the charges. When I spoke to Timbuktu the next day they had at least four hours into the trailer and still couldn't figure out why the system wasn't working. Turns out it needed parts that they had to order but as it was a holiday weekend approaching and we had plans they put in a used part to get us going and ordered the new part. When we picked it up and went to pay them.....no charge! He said he would submit the bills to Suburban, the manufacturer of the water heater, and they would reimburse him. Now that is customer service at it's best.

I will be using Timbuktu and recommending them to anyone in need of RV service. Sad thing is I had spent a lot of money in the past at Mann's on replacement parts for a previous RV and the owner is a friend of my sisters. I know if I had made them realize who they were speaking with they most likely would have treated me different but at that point, I didn't want to deal with them.

Nice to hear a happy ending to a frustrating situation. If more dealers and service departments would read the forums, attitudes would change. Being a business major, I totally agree with Essness's concept of the "flawed business plan".

Pmedic4
07-08-2013, 05:16 PM
While it doesn't affect us, in our Dealer's Service department there is the sign which states, " We do not provide Warranty Service on RV's purchased elsewhere."
It would be interesting to see their reaction to this comment - of course from someone who didn't purchase from them.

I posted earlier, bought my previous RV from a dealer about 200 miles away, because they had a left over model we wanted, and this RV - from Thor, Sunset Trails TT, was told the nearest point of service was 175 miles away. Bad part was, I had several minor issues, and it was'nt really worth the cost of fuel to haul the RV 350 miles. I ended up getting work done at a local RV place, and saved the gas money and spent a few bucks. Ended up getting a Slideout awning installed, so the dealer got even more of my money.
Too bad they aren't a Keystone / Cougar dealer, I would have bought from them, and their models of Forest River doesn't have anything comparable, at least at the time.

theeyres
07-08-2013, 07:59 PM
I have a great ocean front lot just outside of Yuma, Arizona....."bouncey:

How much are you asking? I've been looking for an ocean front lot there....

Labracadabera
07-10-2013, 07:22 AM
We have a few things we will be purchasing to add to our new fifth wheel. Possible 2nd a/c unit, max airs, three awnings for the slides are on the list right now. You can bet I won't be going into Mann's where I've normally purchased this stuff. I will go to Timbuktu even if it costs me a little more. I believe in loyalty even if some of these Keystone dealers don't :)