PDA

View Full Version : Drowning on the Chatooga River in SC

Htfiremedic
06-24-2013, 08:37 PM
For those of you who haven't heard, The Chatooga River in upstate SC is a whitewater destination. Primitive camping, rapids and fishing.
Last week a rafter was lost in the rapids. Fire, EMS and US Forest Service personnel have been diligently searching for the victim.
My FD is sending a swiftwater rescue team to assist in the search. This will put manpower at over 200 rescue workers on the river.
Keep them in your thoughts and if you are in the area, be wary of them.
Please be safe out on the road and in the woods, our lifestyle is wonderful but has some danger.
Take care and be safe!

jsmith948
06-25-2013, 03:07 AM
Thanks for posting the reminder/warning. Every year, during the snow melt, people will lose their lives in the fast moving & cold water. They just don't appreciate how fast the water is moving!
Sorry for those who lost a loved one.

crash
06-25-2013, 03:35 AM
Thanks for posting.Everyone stay safe and happy camping:D

Htfiremedic
06-25-2013, 04:19 PM
Our team is home. No luck. We are sending a second team tomorrow.
SAD

crash
06-26-2013, 09:26 AM
They were looking for a young boy up here on the James river this morning ,I dont know if they have found him yet,So sad:(

BeerCan
06-27-2013, 01:32 PM
It is very sad. I was camping in NC/TN in 2011 when 2 people drowned in the Ocoee within 2 weeks of each other. One of the victims was very close to the age of my son (16). I really felt horrible for the parents.

Ken / Claudia
06-27-2013, 09:48 PM
Yes, drownings are very sad, most could be prevented. I have lived next to the Clackamas river for 19 years. It is a wild river with rapids and cold water. I believe 12 have drown within 1/2 mile from my home during that time. The last one was last week. The guys dog got into the fast current and he went in to save the dog. The dog got out fine. I worked it and run it in my jet boat. Saved afew folks. I helped the Sheriffs Marine patrol get acouple out that did not surive.