PDA

View Full Version : Best Rearview Camera!

Jim Dow
06-23-2013, 11:11 AM
I've been looking at rearview camera systems to aid in backing up/positioning our 5er. I just found a solution using our iphones/ipads for the price of $1.99 each; and it works just fine. Now I wil NOT be spending $500 or more for a wireless rearview camera system that works only marginly.

Go to the Apple store and buy a copy of "Bluetooth Video Chat" for each of two iPhones/Ipads. It allows me to view the streaming video from my wife's iPhone and listen to her comments on my iPad on the truck's dash or on my iPhone. She can move freely around while watching for me; and the clear-transmission range is about 50' for sound/video and about 75' for video-only.

It's a great use of iPhone/iPad technology!

labs4life
06-23-2013, 11:42 AM
Good to know!!!

byrdr1
06-24-2013, 05:36 AM
I have AirBeam on my iphone and it works with any PC as long as you have wifi.
randy

Kristi
06-24-2013, 07:59 AM
I've been looking at rearview camera systems to aid in backing up/positioning our 5er. I just found a solution using our iphones/ipads for the price of $1.99 each; and it works just fine. Now I wil NOT be spending $500 or more for a wireless rearview camera system that works only marginly.

Go to the Apple store and buy a copy of "Bluetooth Video Chat" for each of two iPhones/Ipads. It allows me to view the streaming video from my wife's iPhone and listen to her comments on my iPad on the truck's dash or on my iPhone. She can move freely around while watching for me; and the clear-transmission range is about 50' for sound/video and about 75' for video-only.

It's a great use of iPhone/iPad technology!

Do you need wifi or cell signal for it to work? Cell signal is spotty at best in our favorite campground.

Clanton24v
06-24-2013, 12:10 PM
Interesting I just may try this

curlyfungirl
06-25-2013, 07:05 PM
My husband's F-350 has a built in back up camera. We didn't realize that the little line in the middle lined up exactly where the ball hitch is. Made hooking up the boat a breeze yesterday. No need to stand outside and flap my arms giving directions on which way to go!

Pmedic4
06-25-2013, 07:47 PM
While not as inexpensive as Jim's solution, I found a Magellan GPS which had a GPS unit and Magellan Camera for about $175 on special. I've seen some cheaper wireless cameras, the reviews have been less than positive for everyone, which is why I went with the more expensive Magellan option.
I got a 7" display GPS to easily see the image, and it was a wireless hookup.

I have seen wireless setups on Amazon with a 7 inch monitor, and camera for as low as $50, so it doesn't have to be as expensive. I do have a GPS smartphone, so I don't really need the GPS, but like the quality of the Magellan unit. The one issue now, is that I bought the camera for the back of my truck to hook up my TT, but have since upgraded to a 5er. So, I'm tempted to move the camera to the back of the 5er, but worry a little about the range of the wireless camera - Truck camera distance is only 15 feet away, the back of the 5er would make the camera transmitter about 45-50 foot away, so wonder about the range of that setup. Plus, sometimes I tow other trailers with the truck and like the rear bumper camera for those hookups. So, now I need the "Dual input" screen! When will it ever end.

MicheleF
06-26-2013, 07:23 AM
My husband's F-350 has a built in back up camera. We didn't realize that the little line in the middle lined up exactly where the ball hitch is. Made hooking up the boat a breeze yesterday. No need to stand outside and flap my arms giving directions on which way to go!

We have a 2008 F350, and it has a backup camera in the rearview mirror. I am going to see if there's a similar short-cut to hook up our cargo trailer... Thanks for the tip - may reduce the heavy sighs.... LOL

curlyfungirl
06-26-2013, 09:41 AM
We have a 2008 F350, and it has a backup camera in the rearview mirror. I am going to see if there's a similar short-cut to hook up our cargo trailer... Thanks for the tip - may reduce the heavy sighs.... LOL

Check yours out. Ours is a 2012 so I don't know if it is a new thing.

Albert
06-26-2013, 02:33 PM
Ed, I tried that same setup on my high country. The distance for the wireless was to far for good reception on the back of the 5er. I also wanted a camera at the back of the pickup also. I ended up purchasing the voyager wireless unit that also has two inputs for hard wire. I hard wired the camera installed in the ford emblem and used the wireless one for he rear of the 5er. Work great but a lot more expensive. It also has a 7 inch monitor.

Good luck .

Jim Dow
06-27-2013, 06:34 PM
The iPhone camera arrangement does NOT require WiFi or cellular service. That's what makes it such a good alternative. The iPhones communicate via Bluetooth - not a lot of range but good quality audio and video; and it costs $1.99 for each of the two phones.

I'll work with this.

Kristi
06-28-2013, 06:13 AM
Thanks Jim (tx)

micar
07-03-2013, 05:57 AM
What is the actual name of the app you're using?
There seems to be lots in the App Store, want to get one I know works
Thanks Mike