PDA

View Full Version : On demand(tankless) water heaters

Myyke
06-22-2013, 07:36 AM
Has anyone tried using a tankless water heater added into the water system yet? Instead of using the standard water heater? Thinking of adding one in, wondering if anyone has any recommendations/ stories?

KanTC
06-22-2013, 08:23 AM
Hi Myyke,

I remembered there had been some prior discussion [about them] on the forum...
Use the search feature - I used the word: tankless

7 threads contained the word... hopefully it's enough info to be of some help.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

Myyke
06-22-2013, 09:56 AM
Thanks for the help.

crash
06-24-2013, 06:19 AM
I was thinking about the same thing.

Myyke
06-24-2013, 07:33 AM
On my Laredo 303TG there is what looks like a hot and cold line coming out of the corplast to outside. Gonna look when i go to do heat tracing and if i can gonna look at using that hookup for it.

Festus2
06-24-2013, 08:01 AM
If those two lines are coming out of the bottom of the unit and protrude through the Coroplast, they are most likely your low-point water drains. They are there to drain the water out of the lines when winterizing your RV. I wouldn't suggest that you use the hot water low point drain to hook up a line for a proposed tankless HW heater. If you look at the back of your present HW tank, there will be a HW line coming out of the tank at that point. That, to me, would be the logical place to start a hookup.

Myyke
06-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Thanks. They can still be a low point drain, just would be that much less work to add a outdoor tankless heater. If i ever quit living in it full time, i'll use them as a drain then.

buddyboy54
06-25-2013, 10:50 AM
I to, was tired of cold showers so after much consideration I went with the atwood tankless heater.The install was fairly painless,the instructions suppied with the unit were fairly straight forward and all went well.I did not need to change the gas line at all. The new heater used exactly the same fittings as the existing water heater had.The best part is that when arriving at a campsite,all I have to do is flip the switch in the kitchen to turn on the 12 volts to the water heater and can shower right away,no waiting for the tank to heat up or waiting for the tank to recover after someone else showers.My camper is a 2011 keystone sprinter .I am very satisfied with my purchase.

mobile42
06-26-2013, 10:36 PM
Buddyboy54,

Is this what you installed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLcpbvk0OrY

buddyboy54
07-30-2013, 02:37 PM
yes,it is the same one that I installed

dave-g
08-05-2013, 02:04 AM
does it have electric back up?? run off 110V when you have full hook ups?

doe it require 110v to work or will it run off 12 volt- we dry camp a lot.

JRTJH
08-05-2013, 04:25 AM
We had a point of use 110 volt electic water heater in our bathroom. It was barely enough to take the chill off the water coming out of the faucet. I wanted it because it was such a long way from the water heater to the master bath. Eventually, I just took it out. It was rated at 1.2 GPM with a 20*F temp rise. When you consider the water coming out of the ground is 60*F, that means it will increase the water temp to 80*F as long as you only "trickle" the water out of the faucet. FORGET A SHOWER !!!!!

The only effective point of use water heaters (as far as I know) are gas or 220 VAC. They use a tremendous amount of energy to heat the water "instantly", but actually save energy in the long run as they don't have to keep a tank of water hot all the time.