PDA

View Full Version : Refrigerator Compressor Whines

pramey9876
06-19-2013, 01:18 PM
3 month old Cougar 333MKS and the freezer compressor has a very high pitched sound. Did not start out this way. Any ideas?
Thanks

rjsurfer
06-19-2013, 01:45 PM
Freezer compressor? most fridges are Norcold or Dometic which don't have compressors.

More likely a squealing cooling fan.

Ron W.

geo
06-19-2013, 02:49 PM
Ron is correct, highly likely you have a gas adsorbtion refrigerator by Dometic or Norcold. Is your fridge on a slide? That would mean that you would have an upper and lower vents on the outside slide wall. You would also have a fan that would assist circulation located at a higher point near the upper outside vent. Go outside and listen near the vents. Is the "whine" louder? Probably need a new fan - either DYI Or a quick repair.

Ron

therink
06-19-2013, 03:01 PM
I noticed that on my new rig. My fridge has upper and lower exterior vents and found that a thermostatically controlled fan is installed in the vent area to help circulate warm air. I agree it is annoying.
Steve

billstuart
06-19-2013, 04:29 PM
We have the same setup in our Alpine with a Dometic refer in a slide. I believe the noise is normal. On our last trip we were in 90 degree weather and the fridge maintained 36 degrees.

tdawg
06-19-2013, 06:20 PM
i have a 2013 alpine with the 4 door fridge and it just started the same high whine called dometic they think its the cooling fan is going out will be taking back to dealer for warranty. i would hope that its not a normal sound its annoying.

pramey9876
07-01-2013, 05:52 PM
I posted the original post. Have talked to the manufacturer and they say its the fan, good call guys. However, I have to go to the nearest dealer 90 miles away to get it replaced and they won't send me a fan to do it myself. Plus it's a 3 month wait to get an appointment and then time down to leave it and get it fixed, a 20 minute job at most.
It is in a slide.

Festus2
07-01-2013, 06:00 PM
pramey9876 -
To avoid these continuing problems with your dealer, why not order a new fan from either the manufacturer or go online and find an RV parts retailer who has one in stock and get them to send it to you?
If you can remove and replace the fan yourself, then you just have to wait for the fan to arrive and install it.
Even if you have to pay for the fan and shipping, at least you will get the fan in a timely manner -- not 3+ months from now.

TandE
07-02-2013, 02:57 AM
pramey9876 -
To avoid these continuing problems with your dealer, why not order a new fan from either the manufacturer or go online and find an RV parts retailer who has one in stock and get them to send it to you?
If you can remove and replace the fan yourself, then you just have to wait for the fan to arrive and install it.
Even if you have to pay for the fan and shipping, at least you will get the fan in a timely manner -- not 3+ months from now.

And most likely save some money instead of dragging it to the dealer paying for fuel that won't be reimbursed to you especially if you have to leave it there and make a return trip.

K'sKamper
07-31-2013, 11:02 AM
3 month old Cougar 333MKS and the freezer compressor has a very high pitched sound. Did not start out this way. Any ideas?
Thanks

\Did you get this fixed? Our dealer told us that on our Cougar 333MKS because the refrigerator is in the slide it could not be vented out the top and you will always have this whine from the fan.

pramey9876
08-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Not yet, they tell me the part should be in by 9/3, RIGHT!

fred1609
08-07-2013, 08:50 PM
\Did you get this fixed? Our dealer told us that on our Cougar 333MKS because the refrigerator is in the slide it could not be vented out the top and you will always have this whine from the fan.

We have a 327RES 5th wheel. The fridge is in the slide and for two years it hasn't made any noise. I think the dealer is trying the get out from under the problem.

pramey9876
08-07-2013, 10:27 PM
Fan was replaced, no more whine. Not usual for a high pitched whine behind the freezer section.