PDA

View Full Version : Cougar Panel stops responding

tim&lynda
06-17-2013, 10:24 AM
We have found that teh Cougar main control panel stops working and we are unable to do things like shut off water heater, turn off porch lights...etc. Took it to dealer and they got a new circuit board from Keystone but it is still happening. I serached on google and other owners have found that recycling the power AC and battery, it clears issue at the time....thsi is not a fix. I made an inquiry with dealer and they stated they have notified Keystone and made a record. Thsi is a brand new 5th wheel, 2013 333mks.

Anyone got thier issue resolved by dealer? Keystone?

Bob Landry
06-17-2013, 02:51 PM
Do a search. There have been at least a couple of threads about this very issue.

5mary6
06-18-2013, 12:45 PM
We have found that teh Cougar main control panel stops working and we are unable to do things like shut off water heater, turn off porch lights...etc. Took it to dealer and they got a new circuit board from Keystone but it is still happening. I serached on google and other owners have found that recycling the power AC and battery, it clears issue at the time....thsi is not a fix. I made an inquiry with dealer and they stated they have notified Keystone and made a record. Thsi is a brand new 5th wheel, 2013 333mks.

Anyone got thier issue resolved by dealer? Keystone?

We just ran into this issue this past week. All of a sudden, we could not retract our slide. We had to use the remote control. I have read these issues before on this forum but it had not been an issue for us until this weekend. My wife is speaking witht the dealer right now on the telephone as we speak.

mountainlivin
06-18-2013, 02:39 PM
Sorry to hear you are having trouble too. As I have mentioned in other threads, our 2014 327RES was having the same issues. I was having to reset a couple of times each day. I found it easier to pull the fuse (#5 in our panel) then replace, I got really sick of having to reset all the clocks when I killed the shore power.:banghead:That went on for about 3 weeks, now, all of the sudden, for the last three weeks, it has been trouble free!!??? As I say in my work when something starts working "It is FM" (freakin magic) "bouncey: hope yours also gets FM and straightens out. My dealer is also checking, but I don't have high hopes. Sounds like this has been going on for some time.

Pawsmfpj
06-19-2013, 04:02 AM
We have had 3 boards replaced, with a harness installed with the last board.
Our whole board goes out, and only the first row working..............waiting to get back to FL to see what the next step will be.
Every time we have a problem, I immediately call Keystone and they log our problems into our account.
This seems to be some sort of a long time issue that is going to take a while to resolve.............
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!

pramey9876
07-01-2013, 05:55 PM
Same problem, 2013 333 MKS, the bottom two rows, then three and now the bottom 4 rows won't work. Cycling the main breaker works sometimes but this is not a fix. Keystone told me they are working with the panel manufacturer to fix the problem as it seems to be prevalent. I don't get mine replaced until November so I don't know what they intend to do.
this should be a class action suit as they just keep putting us off.

pramey9876
07-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Here is the reply I got from Keystone this morning about the control panel.

In regards to the control panel Keystone and the Touch Panel supplier have found a fix for the Touch Panel.

Lets hope this is true!

nano
07-09-2013, 10:59 AM
We had a new "tested" panel installed on 6/8/13, and this past week the new one started having issues again.

mountainlivin
07-10-2013, 06:19 PM
Just a thought regarding the issues with the Cougar Panel so many of us have, would anyone with letter writing skills be interested in writing a letter to the RV Action Line in Trailer Life Magazine? By reading all the posts, many of us have tried Keystone, our dealers, numerous panels and still no fix, and many times no response back. Don't know if it would help, but I know many of us are getting frustrated. :(

JRTJH
07-10-2013, 06:37 PM
Mountainlivin,

If you plan to go outside Keystone to request help. it may be better to do it as an individual rather than as a collective group. RV Action Line in the past has taken action to help individuals, I can't recall any "group action" (but there may be a couple). Keystone is aware of the problem, it appears from other member's posts that they are working on a solution. Maybe not as fast as some would like, but from the posts, they are seeking a solution. It is frustrating, but from what I know of the situation, nobody has been stranded or had to leave their RV because of a panel failure. It's unreliable, but there are several interim work around solutions that others have tried with success. It appears to be an inconvenience more that a show stopper.

You may be better off contacting RV Action Line with all your information presented in a concise, chronological manner if you wish to request their intervention. If you choose to do so, good luck in your endeavor.

mountainlivin
07-11-2013, 08:02 AM
Sorry, didn't mean to overstep my bounds. Just don't want to be out of mine for a couple of weeks and it still not be fixed. Again I apologize. Frustration is setting in.

JRTJH
07-11-2013, 10:41 AM
You haven't overstepped any bounds. Nobody here "officially represents" Keystone or any equipment manufacturer. We are all "just owners and users" of Keystone products. My comments were not intended to deter you from expecting appropriate repairs for your control panel. Rather through the years, I've learned that when a "group of people" gang up on a manufacturer, that the industry usually stops working on the problem until their lawyers work things out. From their perspective, if they are going to be hauled into a court and be adjudged monetary settlements, they usually stop working on the problem until they get legal advice. There's no need to pay for a repair and then find the court orders something else. So they wait for the judgement.

Any group action by owners could easily trigger that response. I understand your frustration, but I'm certain that every other Cougar owner with the control panel has that same level of frustration. Until a fix is formulated and tested, changing out panels is, at best, a "crap shoot" way to try to repair the issue. Additionally, there's nobody who can better represent your issues than yourself. Expecting another "user of the product" to gather information, present a case and work toward resolution will leave you at their mercy if you sign onto their "case". Often, they get their issue resolved and you can easily get left out in the cold when their RV is repaired and they shake hands with Keystone and walk away leaving you with a broken panel and not even the background of what they did to get resolution.

Remember back a couple of months when the FAA grounded all the 787 Dreamliners because of battery fires? I'm sure the airlines who had planes sitting on the tarmac experienced frustration similar to yours. Being patient, working with the manufacturer and trying to find an acceptable solution got them through that problem and got the planes functional again. That's most likely what is going to get this "Cougar control panel" issue resolved.

Banging fists, yelling or threatening won't speed the process to resolution, all it will do is make you more frustrated.

Have you tried removing power from the panel to reset it? Many owners have found that works, at least for a while, before the panel malfunctions again. It is probably better to be using your RV with an "inconvenient workaround" than to leave it sitting on a dealer's lot waiting repair with no end in sight. I'd opt to keep camping and either use the remote control or reset the panel when it malfunctions. It's frustrating, that's for certain, but better to at least be enjoying the camping rather than sitting home angry over an idle RV basking in the sun behind your dealer's service department.

mountainlivin
07-11-2013, 11:03 AM
Thanks, I am sure you are correct. Yes, I do know how to reset as I have described in my earlier posts. Between the cougar panel and the awning recall I have had to deal with, disappointment should be understood on a 2014 model rig. Both are keystones vendors and I would hope keystone is staying on them to resolve the problems. Time will tell.

byrdr1
07-11-2013, 12:26 PM
Mountainlivin,
dont fell bad, My son in law bought a new 2014 330bqk or whatever that number is. brought it home on Sunday opened it for the week before our trip and BAM the panel stopped on Thursday, lucky the remotes worked everything. We left that Saturday for 8 days at the coast of SC. he used the remote to open and close it. Its been at the dealership for 2 weeks now and waiting on Keystone to respond to fix it. The service manager has 3 on the repair lot for the same thing. He told them if they needed it to come and get it and use it. They are good till mid August when their next trip happens. So as a dad to my daughter& SIL this is causing me grief because its a brand new camper. They ordered it and waited for it to come to dealer. It arrived on a Friday they picked it up Saturday. and less than one week later the panel died.. it rolled off the line earlier that week.. so you can see where you all are with that electronic panel problem..
Sure do like my rocker switches..
Take care and camp on!
randy

PND
07-11-2013, 02:43 PM
As an electrician, yet to pick up our new 358RLT, I am interested in this possible problem with our new unit. I assume this is some type of control panel with switches and relays to operate electrical equipment. Cycling a breaker implies stuck relays. Oh for a wiring diagram, it would very helpful. Does anyone have any pictures of this panel, showing the back side, anything? Is it a PC board? If we could zero into a component that causes the issue, might be able to help fix the problem. Dealers may not have experieced electrical troubleshooters.

mountainlivin
07-16-2013, 06:04 PM
PND: Sorry for slow response to your question. The Cougar panels that are driving everyone crazy are a membrane type. There are other posts previously where a new owner requested rocker switches be installed instead of the membrane. Don't know if that answers your question or not.

countrytrikker
07-20-2013, 06:30 PM
PND: Sorry for slow response to your question. The Cougar panels that are driving everyone crazy are a membrane type. There are other posts previously where a new owner requested rocker switches be installed instead of the membrane. Don't know if that answers your question or not.

I traced the problem I was having with my panel back to the battery dis-connect switch. Attached both cables at the switch on one post of the switch, by-passing the switch. Zero problems with mine since I made this discovery.

mountainlivin
07-21-2013, 06:43 PM
Countrytrikker..So were you having constant problems with your panel?
I have problems with battery disconnect on and off. But if you are saying, that tying both legs at one terminal and bypassing disconnect fixed your problems, I am trying that next weekend. My wife is not happy at all, making payments on a brand new rig and constantly having to reset the control panel. Thanks and I will keep you posted. Is it a fix? Not at all, but if we can get by until Keystone finally comes up with something permanent, I am all for it.

PND
07-22-2013, 11:30 AM
We pick up our new 5er this weekend. I too will be watching for this problem. Seems that putting something as finicky as a touch membrane in something that bounces, and jostls down the road since electrical connections can work loose. I do enough troubleshooting at work - don't need to do it when I'm out relaxing with a glass of wine or a beer! Keep us posted.

PND

countrytrikker
07-23-2013, 05:40 PM
The problem with the CP has reared it's ugly head again after 1 week of normal operation. To reset the panel, I put a small plastic wire tie wrap around the #5 fuse so I could pull it out and re-install to reset. Yes, it's driving me nuts because I traded in a trouble free 5th wheel, and have had many issues with the new one. I will be letting the dealer know of this problem. :banghead:

pookie210
08-16-2013, 07:09 AM
Reading this thread has me a litte concerned but grateful that the experiences of others may be of assistance very soon. We are picking up our new 327RES next week. Of course we always expect some type of little inconvenience/mechanical issue with a camper new or old. It is good to know the remote seems to remain operable in the event the panel does not function. Our shake down trip will end up being a week long odyssey the first week of September. :eek: Nothing like jumping in head first.

Martydonna
08-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Enjoy your 327RES, (2013) we have the same unit and really enjoy it. We bought it at the beginning of the year and do have issues with the Touch Panel. I have heard that they have resolved the problem on the new models. I'm waiting to make sure that the problem is fixed before return my unit to the dealership for repair. I have heard people returning multiple times only to have the same problem. Enjoy your 327RES its an awesome unit!

pookie210
08-19-2013, 05:06 AM
Thanks Martydonna. We will definitely be asking lots of questions when we do the inspection this week. And from the forums as we go.

Happy camping!

pramey9876
08-29-2013, 11:16 PM
I am supposed to have my panel replaced on 9/3/13 with a newer version of the panel. Keystone says the manufacturer has fixed the problem. Will let you know soon. Was like pulling teeth to get this problem acknowledged by Keystone.

nano
09-05-2013, 05:06 AM
After quite a bit of emailing back and forth, Keystone is going to send someone from our dealership (2 hours away) to our house to have the panel replaced. I am very happy about that.

mountainlivin
10-11-2013, 05:43 PM
At least so far. Got the new panel shipped direct to me. Replaced it about 3weeks ago and no having to reset since. Could definitely see a mod on the new board. Will hope all stays well.

Bob Landry
10-12-2013, 07:10 AM
Problems like this are best solved with a checkbook. Yours.. When the dealers let Keystone know that they can't sell that product, a fix or a different panel will appear. Unfortunately, too many people buy these units before finding out about the issues with the panels. I thought I read that Keystone was building units with the old style breaker panel on request until this could be fixed.

JRTJH
10-12-2013, 09:24 AM
Problems like this are best solved with a checkbook. Yours.. When the dealers let Keystone know that they can't sell that product, a fix or a different panel will appear. Unfortunately, too many people buy these units before finding out about the issues with the panels. I thought I read that Keystone was building units with the old style breaker panel on request until this could be fixed.

Bob,

That is news to me. I hadn't heard that Keystone was building two different options of the panel. There was a concern from one member (several months back) who had ordered a Cougar XLite thinking that he would have panel problems. His dealer contacted Keystone and was told that the XLite does not have the flat panel control system and that it uses a panel with rocker switches. That might be what you were thinking? He was thinking he would get the "problem panel" and was told, "No, your trailer doesn't have that option" Meaning, it's not available in the line you ordered.

There's no option available as far as I know on the Cougar line or the Cougar High Country line. You get what the factory installs or possibly the dealer can modify it, but like Henry Ford said, "You can get a Model T in any color you want, as long as it's black."

Bob Landry
10-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Bob,

That is news to me. I hadn't heard that Keystone was building two different options of the panel. There was a concern from one member (several months back) who had ordered a Cougar XLite thinking that he would have panel problems. His dealer contacted Keystone and was told that the XLite does not have the flat panel control system and that it uses a panel with rocker switches. That might be what you were thinking? He was thinking he would get the "problem panel" and was told, "No, your trailer doesn't have that option" Meaning, it's not available in the line you ordered.

There's no option available as far as I know on the Cougar line or the Cougar High Country line. You get what the factory installs or possibly the dealer can modify it, but like Henry Ford said, "You can get a Model T in any color you want, as long as it's black."

Maybe that's the instance I was thinking about, but I still go back to my original premise and that is dependent on the prospective buyer having the necessary information, but unfortunately that information comes after the fact. I guess what really disappoints me is that Keystone knowing about this problem as long as they have, continue to market it in their products, and even more disturbing, the dealers are probably representing the faulty panels as the latest technology and a sales feature

Javi
10-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Bob,

Here is what Bob is talking about I think....

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showpost.php?p=77759&postcount=61

JRTJH
10-12-2013, 02:07 PM
Javi,

Thanks for finding the post. It's the same post I was thinking about. His RV is a 31RKS which is an XLite model. All the XLite's have 2 numbers followed by letters. Cougar High Country models (the ones with the touch panel) have 3 numbers followed by letters.

The Half-ton series (west coast edition of the XLite) is also a 2 number model.

Cougar (as a brand name) no longer produces a travel trailer, only fifth wheel models.

Thanks for finding the post.

Bob,

I understand your frustration with Keystone, but to put it in perspective we would have to know how many RV's that panel has been installed in and how many have failed. If they produce thousands of RV's a year and only have 5 or 10, even 50 or so failures, that's less than half of one percent (0.5%). If, however they have hundreds or thousands of failures, that's a significant problem and your criticism is most definitley justified.

Of course, speaking from an individual owner's standpoint, if there's one failure and it's mine or yours, it's a significant problem to us or to any individual owner.

I talked to the dealership where I just bought my Cougar and in the discussions, he said they haven't had any panel failures yet. So, it may not be as widespread as we think based on the reports here. As always, the satisfied owners seldom post and the problem units almost always get used as examples in forums like this.

Ideally, none should fail, but we need to know how many really are bad to make any determination that it's a significant problem.....

airforceret
10-14-2013, 05:40 AM
I'm still working on getting my panel replaced under warranty, but in conversations with their technical staff, it has led me to believe that some of the panel problems are related to how it was originally wired, while other problems (like mine) are directly related to the panel itself which can only be resolved by the newer panel.

With my touch panel, it has 5 rows of buttons. Rows 1, 4, and 5 work, while rows 2 and 3 only work briefly then fail. They can be made to work temporarily by resetting the panel, but they soon fail. Oddly enough when the row fails, the last setting of those switches remain even after the panel fails (e.g., pump was set to on... it stays set to on, hot water heater set to off and it stays off).

It's like the panel goes into permanent sleep mode!

firstpg
10-29-2013, 12:44 PM
Hi: we have a 2012 246rls cougar high country 5th wheel. Now in California for our first trip with this unit, which we brought new 2 weeks ago. While our remote works for slides, awning, landing gear ect, only the awning manual control works, all the rest are dead. Problem started about 4 days into our trip. This worries us, since remotes have been known to fail, then we would need to tear off the front decorative panel on the 2 slides and apply some electric drill power, hoping drill has enough charge for both, and hoping we could re-attach stapled on panel without to much cosmetic damage. Anyway we have now been waiting in Red bluff for a week until the Bakersfield Keystone dealer finally confirms a delivery date for a replacement touch panel. expect this to drag on for at least another week, before anything happens. We have tried any number for things to solve the problem, including the hard start via shutting off main and battery power. Pushing the re-set button on the panel (located next to the battery pack in the front compartment) no joy so far. We love RV'ing and are now on our 3rd unit. Hope the eventual replacement of our touch panel, will solve our problem. Anyone have any new thoughts on this ???

airforceret
10-31-2013, 07:37 AM
One option that worked for us was pulling the fuse to the touch panel in the breaker box, leaving it out for a few seconds, then reinserting the fuse. Our fuse was in slot #5.

We now have the new panel installed and will see how long that it lasts.

Good luck with your panel replacement.

pramey9876
11-10-2013, 08:24 PM
I have the same RV, Keystone replaced the panel in October and it worked fine for 6 weeks until I put it away for the winter. they know the fix they are just difficult to get it done, good luck.

mach22
11-11-2013, 04:37 PM
My panel failed almost immediately. A tech came out, checked the serial number and looked it up on a letter he had and said it had to be replaced and would order one. Took about 4 weeks. As an interim fix I connected a switch with an inline fuse across the panel fuse by the converter. This worked until I got the new panel installed. New panel has worked flawlessly. The tech who installed had to rewire 2 switches because they were reversed on the new panel, slide 1 in was wired to slide outout and on the slide 1 switchs! Happy camper now.

starman
11-14-2013, 07:47 AM
My husband and I have had the same problem with our Cougar 327RES. We had the panel replaced and it happened again almost immediately. We ave RV parking at our home and it is always plugged in and my husband would go out and everything would be off. He would have to totally disconnect the battery then it would work again...until the next time :) But we finally figured out what the problem was. It had nothing to do with the panel, it was the power cord. Seems that it has to be COMPLETELY in the socket on the RV. It may look like it's in all the way, it will even screw down completely but it's not. We even ran into another owner of the same unit at an RV park. He had just bought the unit and it was his first time out. A technician was coming out that day to see what the problem was. After we told him what we found he disconnected the cord and put it back on making sure it was pushed ALL THE WAY IN. We were there for a week and he never had the problem again. So those of you that are having this issue you may want to pay very close attention to making sure it is pushed in as far as it will go. I know it seems like that is too simple but we have used our rig for 7 months since discovering this and have had no problems what so ever. We also ran into the other RVer who had the problem at the RV park and he too has not had any issues since the last time we saw him. I don't know if the pins may not be quit long enough so it makes a poor connection or what but it's just a thought. Hope this works for others like it worked for us.

airforceret
11-20-2013, 11:55 AM
We just returned from a 2200 mile trip out to Denver and back. The new touch panel worked flawlessly the whole trip! I do still miss the old fashioned switches though... I have color vision issues and can't really read the touch panel all that well, but as with everything, in time it will all get figured out! And every once in awhile i happen to run the slide in a bit on accident! LOL

starman
11-20-2013, 03:16 PM
LOL.....I know the feeling. I wear glasses for reading but don't walk around with my glasses on so when I go to use the panel it is hard for me to see what is what. I miss the good old fashioned switches as well. Don't you just love technology :)

airforceret
11-21-2013, 11:04 AM
LOL.....I know the feeling. I wear glasses for reading but don't walk around with my glasses on so when I go to use the panel it is hard for me to see what is what. I miss the good old fashioned switches as well. Don't you just love technology :)

I've seriously considered getting out the ole Dymo Label Maker and creating some little stickers for it!

starman
11-21-2013, 04:21 PM
Now that's actually not a bad idea.

catmama6
01-22-2014, 07:34 AM
Our 2014 333MKS is Headed back down to dealer (2hrs away!) to replace the electrical panel that failed w/in 2 days of us taking possession of it.. After Much research, Old School Rocker Switch panel for us! Service Mgr. at the Dealer tried to convince me otherwise, Keystone tried to convince me otherwise, NO Way..Who needs to be their test Guinea Pig just b/c Keystone doesn't want to admit they have a problem...this unit is not coming back til there is the Rocker panel in it. Service mgr. Tried to treat me like a dumb woman & tell me they needed to analyze..then decide. So did Keystone..in the meantime the dealer got in a new 2014 333MKS, guess what kind of panel it had in it? Yes, the rocker switch panel...what does that say?
After getting the dealership owner on the phone, complaining of the treatment of the Svc. Mgr & Keystone...The Svc. Mgr. Called me back & is singing a whole different Tune....Lesson here, do lots of research, don't take status quo for an answer....now, fingers crossed that this is the end of the story....

starman
01-22-2014, 08:20 AM
I do understand how frustrating it is when the panel doesn't work and the ease of the rocker switch. However, I truly believe the pins on the electrical cord are barely long enough to make the proper connection and if it isn't pushed ALL the way in the panel goes out. It has been months now since we have had the problem because now we always make sure the electric plug is pushed in tightly so we have not had an issue. Therefore I truly believe the overall problem is with the electric cord and not the panel. I do hope others with this issue see this and give it a try before returning the unit to the dealer for replacement, because I know what a hassle that can be and a waste of time if there is actually nothing wrong with the panel itself.
Good luck with your unit.

catmama6
01-22-2014, 09:06 AM
I do understand how frustrating it is when the panel doesn't work and the ease of the rocker switch. However, I truly believe the pins on the electrical cord are barely long enough to make the proper connection and if it isn't pushed ALL the way in the panel goes out. It has been months now since we have had the problem because now we always make sure the electric plug is pushed in tightly so we have not had an issue. Therefore I truly believe the overall problem is with the electric cord and not the panel. I do hope others with this issue see this and give it a try before returning the unit to the dealer for replacement, because I know what a hassle that can be and a waste of time if there is actually nothing wrong with the panel itself.
Good luck with your unit.

You are probably absolutely right that this is an Additional problem...I appreciate your input & have printed your reply to have on hand to address...
More than anything, electrical problems are something we don't want to have to deal with. In researching, many others have encountered this problem even after replacing panels 2 or 3 times.This is something I pushed to get(the 5th wheel) so I need to do all I can to alleviate problems if possible..I also realize we are dealing w/ a unit that can have Many things go wrong & it wouldn't be realistic to think from now on we will be trouble free....live & learn. Maybe we wont be meant to own one of these....it takes a person who likes to work on or troubleshoot this kind of thing....We will live in during our remodel, then reassess whether this is something we will keep doing...glad to have a forum to share, learn & vent...

mach22
01-23-2014, 12:08 PM
My 2013 327RES panel stopped working (not sure it ever did). :wlcm:Tech came out checked the serial number against a list and said he would have to order a new panel. When installing the new panel, he said that a couple of the 'buttons' where reversed on these new panels. He made the correction, installed the panel and everything has been fine. That was last Aug. We are snowbirding and use the panel every day. On another note, I do make double sure the ground power connector is completely in.

starman
01-23-2014, 03:02 PM
I'm glad your issue was resolved. As I stated before I am not sure there was ever a problem with the actual panel but more the pins on the electrical plug. It's a shame to see all these RVers be without their rig while they change them out when it may not have been necessary.

Ray 51
01-30-2014, 02:38 PM
We are having major issues with our brand new 333mks. We had an apt with Camping world on 1/8/2014 it took until 1/15/2014 for Keystone to approve a new brain that goes in the front compartment. I don't think that is the only problem! I think the panel is junk.
our awning got stuck in the extended position, I had to take the hex screws out and manually retract it. I closed the storage panel under the master slide and the bedroom slide went in by itself and wouldn't come back out. Luckily there wasn't anything in front of the bed or something would have broke or crushed. The part is still not in!! I am not one to make payments on something that can't be used or enjoyed. I am convinced this camper is very pretty and laid out very nice but the electronics are not made to bounce down the road!!

starman
01-30-2014, 03:07 PM
I am sorry to hear about all your problems with your new rig. I too would be extremely frustrated. We too bought our rig at a Camping World I am happy to say we had very quick response with any issue although they have not seemed to be as severe as yours. With our last unit (bought out of town not locally) it was harder to get responses to any issue we had so I contacted Keystone directly. They assigned us a case number and got to work on the problem right away. May be an option for you if you are having such bad luck with the dealer. Good Luck.

micar
01-31-2014, 07:34 AM
DW and I were at the Toronto RV show and all the Keystone fivers that we looked at have rocker switches instead of the touch panels. Didn't notice any remotes, but they may have been removed to prevent theft. We talked to a keystone rep. who seemed to have no knowledge of the touch panel problems?? he said he was from the west coast so maybe the components they use there are different.
So we talked to a salesman from the dealership we bought our 333mks from and asked if he thought keystone would retrofit back to rocker style switches, he suggested we call the service dept at the dealership.
Maybe there is hope????
On the bright side of things we didn't see a floor plan we like better than ours so no temptation to get the chequebook out!!!!

starman
01-31-2014, 07:53 AM
It always seems that when the manufacturers come out with a new model and there are any issues whatever that issue was has been changed on the newer model at the next RV show, So even though they may act like they are unaware of whatever the issue was, someone is listening. Glad you didn't see any floor model you liked better than what you have, that's always a good feeling. I know we loves ours, so roomy and spacious....327RES

Ray 51
01-31-2014, 02:22 PM
Ours is a 2014 model, but last night I went to the camping world web site and the store we purchased ours from has a 2014 333mks with rocker switches.
My diplomatic other half spoke with Keystone today and we contacted our service guy, supposedly we can have ours switched out. Hopefully sometime before 2015! Our other part, the brain should be here Monday. fingers crossed!

starman
01-31-2014, 02:28 PM
Awesome..................Glad to hear it.

catmama6
02-01-2014, 03:06 PM
Ours is a 2014 model, but last night I went to the camping world web site and the store we purchased ours from has a 2014 333mks with rocker switches.
My diplomatic other half spoke with Keystone today and we contacted our service guy, supposedly we can have ours switched out. Hopefully sometime before 2015! Our other part, the brain should be here Monday. fingers crossed!

We Also bought the 2014 333MKS with flat electrical panel...It stopped working right away! Back to the dealer(2 hours away, had to pay to have it professionally hauled b/c we dont have the hitch, were going to live in it while house being remodeled) after lots of research, phone calls, to dealer, dealer owner, dealer service dept & Keystone, we told them it was not to come back w/out the Rocker switch panel...Hauled it back on Weds w/ a beautiful rocker panel w/matching door to the bedroom door...Seems to work Great! I dont have the desire to mess w/something that is poorly designed & I dont understand... I'll leave that up to those who have the time, desire & knowhow...my husband is Way to busy too mess w/something that should work easily for what you pay for these things...Still love the floor plan...hope to love the unit in the future but will stay up to speed on what others are experiencing....Happy Trails...

Jaybird442
02-04-2014, 12:00 PM
We have had our 2010 Cougar 276 RLS since new and have had a few minor issues but overall it has been the right RV for us.
We are on our winter getaway trip to Southern California and have discovered our touchpad stopped working but our transmitter remote works fine. At first just the slide, awning, and front jacks didn't respond. Now none of the switches work.
Is there a quick fix?

JRTJH
02-04-2014, 01:27 PM
We have had our 2010 Cougar 276 RLS since new and have had a few minor issues but overall it has been the right RV for us.
We are on our winter getaway trip to Southern California and have discovered our touchpad stopped working but our transmitter remote works fine. At first just the slide, awning, and front jacks didn't respond. Now none of the switches work.
Is there a quick fix?

Welcome to the forum and to Keystone. If you start at page #1 of this thread and read all the posts, you'll find at least 4 possible options that have worked for some members. It seems resetting the control panel is the most popular and the most effective. The procedure is located in this thread. Also, you might want to use the search feature located in the top blue bar which is on every forum page to search for similar threads with even more information. Use search terms such as "Cougar problems" "control panel" or similar terms to find the threads you want.

Jaybird442
02-04-2014, 01:53 PM
Our touch panel inside our Cougar has rocker switches but none currently work. The transmitter works the awning and slide fine. It seems I need to reset the control panel as no electricity is getting to the touch pad. How does one reset the control panel located in the battery compartment.

Mover480
02-05-2014, 07:09 AM
Look closely at it. You will see a small black reset button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray 51
02-07-2014, 10:59 AM
The camper went back to camping world Wed. supposed to switch out the brain, it did nothing! They had to hot wire the landing gear to get it off my truck!! Called Thurs to say Keystone sent the wrong part. Over nighting, we'll see come Monday. I am quickly loosing faith in this manufacturer!!

Ray 51
02-11-2014, 02:07 PM
The camper went back to camping world Wed. supposed to switch out the brain, it did nothing! They had to hot wire the landing gear to get it off my truck!! Called Thurs to say Keystone sent the wrong part. Over nighting, we'll see come Monday. I am quickly loosing faith in this manufacturer!!
ok the new part is installed, they said everything is working from the new remote control, but the awning still won't work from the control panel. they are ordering the rocker panel, I hope that finally fixes everything!

Ray 51
02-19-2014, 04:25 AM
ok the new part is installed, they said everything is working from the new remote control, but the awning still won't work from the control panel. they are ordering the rocker panel, I hope that finally fixes everything!

It has been there since 2/5 and still not fixed!!

Ray 51
03-07-2014, 11:32 AM
We finally got the camper back Tue. 3/4 new brain and remote, new rocker panel control board. Heading to Ocala today for the weekend to see how it holds up!

unyalli
03-07-2014, 11:34 AM
Can we have some Pictures?

Ray 51
03-10-2014, 03:49 AM
So far so good. We used the panel and the remote control. Pulled it about 250 miles round trip and everything worked. I found where CW forgot to put one of the screws back in the awning, but I took care of it.

I don't know how to put pictures on here, you want pics of the new parts?
Maybe my other half or my son can figure that out.

Nation777
03-24-2014, 09:50 AM
We too are having the issue with the control panels bottom 2 rows not working. This was our first weekend with the camper that we that we purchased last December. I talked to our dealer today and they had not heard of this issue but they will investigate. I have tried the circuit breaker reset yet but will when we are back at the campsite this weekend. I am glad the remote works. If anyone has a communication from Keystone on this issue please post it. Thanks

micar
04-17-2014, 12:56 PM
Dropped our 333MKS off at the dealer today to have the control board fixed and some other minor warranty repairs and we were advised by the service writer that the electronic control board will be replaced by one with rocker switches!!"bouncey:"bouncy:
Mike

TinyPhil
04-20-2014, 11:44 AM
I have a 2014 Cougar 5th wheel model 318 SAB. I purchased this trailer new in May 2013 from Petes RV in Indiana. The touch panel had problems on the very first day of ownership. The 2nd and 3rd rows of the panel quit working. I took the trailer back to Petes RV and they told me that I would have to get it fixed when I get back to Arizona. The problem was supposedly caused by electrical noise from the converter. If you disconnected shore power and battery power the panel would reset itself and would work again when power was reconnected. This was only a temporary fix and the problem could return at anytime. After a period of time. I finally got the panel replaced with the improved version that had a noise filter built into the wire harness for the panel. The replacement panel took care of that problem, but now I am having a new problem with the panel. The new problem is with the touch pads for the main slide. If you run the main slide out with the remote control, with the touch panel shut off, the slide will stay open, but if you energize the touch panel the slide will come back in by itself. This means that you would have to keep the panel shut off if you wanted to keep the slide open. I called Keystone customer service and they are aware of the problems that people are having with this touch panel. I was told that their new replacement panel had mechanical switches rather than touch switches. This will be a welcome change as mechanical switches are more reliable. The repair should be done in the next couple of weeks.

airforceret
04-21-2014, 06:07 AM
I can understand why they told you to wait until you get back to Arizona at Pete's as they've had my Cougar for a month now. :( I'm waiting on a call back from them this morning to see if they got anything done last week after my call to Keystone.

Ray 51
04-29-2014, 03:02 AM
We used the camper 3 times without incident, upon bringing home last Sunday the bottom of the panel quit working again! I checked fuses, battery disconnect, shore power, reset button, nothing worked except the remote control, Which is a pain when wanting to get the camper off the truck. The landing gear button is connected to that panel also. I pulled the panel and couldn't believe the spaghetti Bull Sh8t wiring inside this camper that is supposed to go down the road! I have owned top of the line boats and crap boats and the biggest difference is the detail to manufacturing, this camper is the biggest POS I have ever purchased in my life! I am going to take a beating but as soon as that panel works this POS is being traded in on anything but a KEYSTONE!!
And this is the new rocker switch panel. this is not a fix!!

JRTJH
04-29-2014, 05:28 AM
Sorry to hear about your issues, but maybe, for you, not having to deal with the issues any longer is the right move. Here's hoping that whatever you buy next gives you the enjoyment and reliability you want and meets your expectations. Good Luck

Nation777
05-06-2014, 12:40 PM
My new 2013 panel is having the issue where it stops working. It will work again after power rest. Dealer contacted Keystone and was told they will no longer replace it with another touch panel but will replace it with a manually switched panel. They are having too many issues with the touch panel.

JRTJH
05-06-2014, 05:23 PM
My new 2013 panel is having the issue where it stops working. It will work again after power rest. Dealer contacted Keystone and was told they will no longer replace it with another touch panel but will replace it with a manually switched panel. They are having too many issues with the touch panel.

With all the problems being documented by so many owners of the touch panel, if your dealer is wanting to replace it with a convention switch panel, I'd jump on it. Once you're out of warranty and start having problems (or continue having problems) with the touch panel, it can get real expensive real quick. Sometimes there's a lot of "good things to say" about "old technology" :)

micar
05-15-2014, 11:42 AM
Picked the trailer up on Tuesday, here is the new rocker switch panel.

Keoni37
05-05-2015, 02:20 PM
My two year old 2013 Cougar 333MKS (purchased new May 2013) on our first trip of 2015 (last week) had our first ever issue with the touch control panel. The 2nd and 3rd row switches quit working on two occasions, both times fixed by turning off main power breaker and going outside and turning off battery, then turned both back on, this fixed the problem in both instances. I am afraid now that this will be a progressive issue and if not corrected will continue to have worsening failures. Talked to the dealer and they are not willing to authorize a fix until I bring it in with a failure....catch 22! Use it until it breaks, then bring it in! Any advice would be much appreciated. How have others handled this? Thank you.

Dave45039
05-05-2015, 04:23 PM
Keystone authorized Two panel replacements for me. One, a direct replacement in Nov 2013 which went out in three months. They then replaced that one with a panel that had rocker switches. No questions asked. That one has worked fine for a year and a half. Try calling Keystone directly. They are authorizing replacements.:)

Keoni37
05-05-2015, 04:31 PM
Thanks Dave for the reply. Another question, have you experienced the fading cap problem and if not have you been waxing 2 to 4 times a year? Thanks

Festus2
05-05-2015, 05:37 PM
Thanks Dave for the reply. Another question, have you experienced the fading cap problem and if not have you been waxing 2 to 4 times a year? Thanks

Moderator's Note:
Let's try to keep this thread on topic - the Cougar Control Panel issues. The problem about front caps fading is being thoroughly discussed in another thread. It might be more appropriate to ask your question in that forum (Fifth Wheels - 2012 End Cap Fade)

Thank you.

Keoni37
05-05-2015, 09:44 PM
Moderator's Note:
Let's try to keep this thread on topic - the Cougar Control Panel issues. The problem about front caps fading is being thoroughly discussed in another thread. It might be more appropriate to ask your question in that forum (Fifth Wheels - 2012 End Cap Fade)

Thank you.

Yes, I am aware of that forum and have made inqueries there. Sent Dave a private message.

Thank you.