PDA

View Full Version : How tight should I tighten my X-Chocks?

X-Treme
06-15-2013, 06:47 AM
Just like the title says. How tight should I be tightening my X-Chocks? Do I just snug them up against the wheels, or do I tighten them to the point just before bending an axle, or somewhere in between? It would almost be nice to have a torque specification or something, so a guy would know exactly how tight...

Bigsky3625
06-15-2013, 07:11 AM
I snug them up to where I can't pull them out. Not tight enough to cause and tire indentations. I have read other posts where people haveactually caused tread damage.

Festus2
06-15-2013, 07:12 AM
The purpose of these chocks is to reduce RV movement and when tightening mine, I make sure that they are "good and snug" against the tires. I've never used a torque wrench to determine how many pounds are necessary so can't help you out with a number.
After the RV has been sitting for a while and the tires have had a chance to cool down, I come back and re-tighten them.

maxx1963
06-15-2013, 07:14 AM
X2. I just snug mine up. Definitely don't want to bend the axle. The way these are designed, if they are snug that trailer isn't going anywhere!

concours
06-15-2013, 07:46 AM
I too tighten them good and snug I don't think that the wrench that comes with the Chocks would allow that much pressure on the tires and axles, I use one hand snug down then re snug after the tires have cooled down. If you think about how much pressure is on each tire when its parked and how much strain is on the axles under braking etc. the chocks will do no harm

hankaye
06-15-2013, 08:57 AM
X-Treme, Howdy;

Get them tight enough so that they sing in a voice about 2 octaves higher...

hankaye

Bob Landry
06-15-2013, 11:11 AM
X-Treme, Howdy;

Get them tight enough so that they sing in a voice about 2 octaves higher...

hankaye

Are you sure you aren't confusing that with tight under ware?

dhdb
06-16-2013, 06:17 AM
The purpose of these chocks is to reduce RV movement and when tightening mine, I make sure that they are "good and snug" against the tires. I've never used a torque wrench to determine how many pounds are necessary so can't help you out with a number.
After the RV has been sitting for a while and the tires have had a chance to cool down, I come back and re-tighten them.

X2
Snug them up, then check them again in 1/2 hr or so after tires have cooled down.

rjsurfer
06-16-2013, 09:28 AM
Personally I never liked the X-chocks, I think they put much strain on the axle hangers and U-Bolts and centering pin.

Plus the centering pin on the spring pack is just welded on and easy to break away, when that happens forget your springs there gone...

What's the problem with using just old fashioned chocks? Yeesh 30 seconds and there down (even my wife can put them in place), sometimes too much tech isn't always the answer.

Ron W.

gepaine
06-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Personally I never liked the X-chocks, I think they put much strain on the axle hangers and U-Bolts and centering pin.

Plus the centering pin on the spring pack is just welded on and easy to break away, when that happens forget your springs there gone...

What's the problem with using just old fashioned chocks? Yeesh 30 seconds and there down (even my wife can put them in place), sometimes too much tech isn't always the answer.

Ron W.

To answer your question, "old fashioned chocks" don't stop your trailer from moving around.

christopherglenn
06-17-2013, 03:19 PM
I figure however much torque I can put on them one handed with the ~6" wrench is about enough. If I can brake a weld that way, the axle was going to fall out from under the frame on the first pothole anyway.

JRTJH
06-17-2013, 04:43 PM
Sometimes a person can not fully understand the purpose of a device and make a statement that it can be replaced with a different tool when that's not the situation.

X chocks prevent wheel movement and help stabilize the RV from shifting on the tires producing a sensation of movement inside. In the operator's instructions for using X chocks, it clearly states that they are NOT a replacement for wheel chocks and that they must still be used even with X chocks in place.

I don't think that there is any danger in bending an axle tube or damaging a spring hanger with the wrench that comes with X chocks. It's not long enough to produce enough torque to do much more than "slightly indent" the tread on the tires. If you think about it, the part of the tread sitting on the ground is indented far more than you'll ever be able to push with a set of X chocks. Additionally, there is far more fore/aft stress placed on the spring hangers when applying the brakes than when setting X chocks. Unless your suspension system is about to fall out from under your RV, doing any damage by using X chocks is nearly impossible. And, if by chance you did any damage, I think it's much better to find it that way than to have the damage "sneak up on you" while on the road. I've never heard of anyone damaging their suspension with X chocks.

While I don't "crank em down" with all my might, I do snug them firmly, then a couple hours later, recheck them. Occasionally, not at every stop, they will be a bit looser than when installed. However, quite often they are still tight and need no further tightening.

X-Treme
06-17-2013, 09:51 PM
Sometimes a person can not fully understand the purpose of a device and make a statement that it can be replaced with a different tool when that's not the situation.

X chocks prevent wheel movement and help stabilize the RV from shifting on the tires producing a sensation of movement inside. In the operator's instructions for using X chocks, it clearly states that they are NOT a replacement for wheel chocks and that they must still be used even with X chocks in place.

I don't think that there is any danger in bending an axle tube or damaging a spring hanger with the wrench that comes with X chocks. It's not long enough to produce enough torque to do much more than "slightly indent" the tread on the tires. If you think about it, the part of the tread sitting on the ground is indented far more than you'll ever be able to push with a set of X chocks. Additionally, there is far more fore/aft stress placed on the spring hangers when applying the brakes than when setting X chocks. Unless your suspension system is about to fall out from under your RV, doing any damage by using X chocks is nearly impossible. And, if by chance you did any damage, I think it's much better to find it that way than to have the damage "sneak up on you" while on the road. I've never heard of anyone damaging their suspension with X chocks.

While I don't "crank em down" with all my might, I do snug them firmly, then a couple hours later, recheck them. Occasionally, not at every stop, they will be a bit looser than when installed. However, quite often they are still tight and need no further tightening.

This is exactly the answer I was looking for, and makes complete sense with all your explanations. I really appreciate it, along with everyone else's responses. Thank you to all. :)

SAABDOCTOR
06-18-2013, 05:37 AM
tight is tight. to tights broke! if you use the wrench that came with them you will not over tighten it. and yep resnug after cool down. you and the tires:party:

broby425
07-01-2013, 08:53 AM

Ron W.
I view chocks as a safety feature more than just a comfort feature. Standard chocks don't stay snug against the wheel, allowing for too much movement for me, especially when unhitching. I've used the X-chocks in the past, and think they did a great job. Just snugged it up with a good amount of "wrist and no forearm", if that makes sense. I'm currently using their single-axle version (the kind that you clamp down on one wheel and cinch up from both sides). Both of these keep the trailer secure while I unhitch, prevent a lot of excess movement for our stay, and give me peace of mind that standard chocks never did.

Pmedic4
07-04-2013, 01:01 PM
While I've had one, never really felt the x- chock was all that critical. Sold the one I had when we sold our TT. Then We bought a 5ver.

Out several weeks ago, we saw was several people using two joined 4x4s, cut at about 30 degrees to make the x chock, so they had made some poor man version of the expensive all metal x-chocks. The metal one was very heavy, and the wood 4x4 Version looks nice and light and aren't hard to make. Anyone else use make these?

Festus2
07-04-2013, 03:44 PM
Yes, I have the home-made, "cheapo" version. Easy to make, works just fine, and costs less. Bulkier and not sure if it weighs that much less that the metal, commercial one. You can Google home-made wheel chocks and find several sites complete with diagrams. If you can't find anything, let me know --- send me a PM.