PDA

View Full Version : Why are the Bathroom Doors Short on the Bottom?

meyerske
06-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Anyone know why the bathroom doors are short on the bottom? Seems like about a 5 inch gap between the floor and the door bottom. :confused:

Bugle Boy
06-14-2013, 01:32 PM
Ours is not that short but I would guess to provide a good ventilation path so other folks in the trailer were not exposed to not so pleasant air....assuming ofcourse that the user turns the exhaust fan on. Or,to save weight.

randy69
06-14-2013, 01:48 PM
They are too short 3" or more on some doors. Gee my bathroom at the house only has 3/4" from floor to the bottom of the door. Fart fan still pulls plenty of fresh air in .... So why are the doors to short??

BlindGuyNAR
06-14-2013, 01:55 PM
I thought it was for condensation removal. Most of the time the bathroom door is closed in RV unlike at home. And it's a lot smaller space

SAD
06-14-2013, 01:56 PM
It's so little brothers can lay on the floor and spy on their sisters.

michol02
06-14-2013, 02:42 PM
Yup, I think SAD is right. LOL :p

Stublejumper
06-14-2013, 05:52 PM
The doors in RV's and also in mobile homes have large spaces under doors is mostly for return air back to furnace and ac because they are not ducted.Also to get rid of those stinky smells.

GaryWT
06-15-2013, 06:40 AM
Our bathroom does not have a heat vent or AC vent so the space lets a little air in.

Festus2
06-15-2013, 11:58 AM
Anyone know why the bathroom doors are short on the bottom? Seems like about a 5 inch gap between the floor and the door bottom. :confused:

The illogical explanation is that everyone can see if the bathroom is being used since you will be able to see the person's feet. You will know for sure that it is "occupied" and someone is sitting on the throne. - depending, of course, upon which way their feet are facing. :D

Ken / Claudia
06-15-2013, 04:42 PM
I thought that it is like that so I can slip little pieces of paper under the door to the dog. He than walks away chewing and the wife chases him around trying to figure out what the dog got this time. It worked 2 times I am not sure if I can get away with that again.

cabinfever
06-25-2013, 04:42 PM
Ventilation/ moisture control....the fan pulls a lot more air than it would with a "normal" space. Most doors in RVs are cut that short for the same reason.

floatflyer
06-25-2013, 06:58 PM
Mine has about 1 1/2 inch gap to the floor. Maybe the Keystone purchasing department ordered the wrong doors and they just used them anyway?

davidjsimons
06-26-2013, 03:17 AM
Ventilation/ moisture control....the fan pulls a lot more air than it would with a "normal" space. Most doors in RVs are cut that short for the same reason.

X2 on that answer. I noticed that when I run my fan in the head, a lot of air is pulled under the door.
Luckily for me, my head is ducted for heat. My gap is about 1 1/2".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kristi
06-26-2013, 05:31 AM
They centered my bathroom door so there is a 1" or 2" at the top & bottom. :confused:

SAABDOCTOR
06-26-2013, 06:25 AM
WELL Festus that solves two problems. need to tell the op with the lock question. don't need a lock just look for feet:D

diugo
06-26-2013, 06:49 AM
It's because a typical high-volume exhaust fan (like a Fan-tastic Vent) is about 92 square inches in swept area. For unrestricted air flow, the door gap needs to exceed this area. So if the door is 20 inches wide, the gap needs to be at least 4.6" tall.

Festus2
06-26-2013, 08:13 AM
Barney -
Your absolutely right! I thought exactly the same thing when I read the post about no locks on the bathroom door. My initial illogical and unscientific explanation now seems to be making much more sense. :D

SAABDOCTOR
06-26-2013, 09:44 AM
the main reason that space is there is to cool your feet:D or if the door was lower my how it would squeak! or we could go on about intake and output area for proper air cooling of the body ... but as we all know liquid cooling is best:party: darn heat is getting to me at the shop!! need to go camping:D

apr67
06-26-2013, 11:12 AM
If the door fit better, then when you flushed the fan would be pulling air from the black tank. Some older units suffered with this malady which is called, damn it stinks in here.

SAABDOCTOR
06-26-2013, 11:42 AM
Boy are we beating the cr*p out of this subject:d

MarkS
06-26-2013, 12:03 PM
One more. I thought it for when the back flow preventer failed, the water could run out of the bathroom.

buzzcop63
06-26-2013, 01:12 PM
Ken, that really got me laughing! Good one!

azlee56
06-26-2013, 02:08 PM
I always thought doors were that way so the dogs nose would fit under there when they are checking why you are out of eyes view. (man they and kids are terrible at that).

Bugle Boy
06-26-2013, 05:57 PM
Actualy, after pondering this I believe the door is too short on the top. In order that it wouldn't look weird, they raised the door up so the gap would be on the bottom for a more normal look.

suza
06-28-2013, 11:30 PM
The doors in RV's and also in mobile homes have large spaces under doors is mostly for return air back to furnace and ac because they are not ducted.Also to get rid of those stinky smells.

Our bathroom does have a heat vent and the door gap is not quite as big. Our heat and AC are both ducted. I think the gap is good, expecially when the vent fan is running. Makes the air circulate better. Ditto on mobile homes, where all doors have this gap, not just the bathrooms. I'm sure it is for HVAC circulation.

monica4patience
06-05-2014, 02:33 PM
The gap on our new 2014 passport is at the top... For proper air exchange according to our salesman. Also, no lock on the door is because there's no emergency exit. That makes sense with this trailer, but not our previous 2010 Outback which had an outside door in it (which did have a lock on it...luckily!)

JRTJH
06-05-2014, 03:54 PM
The gap on our new 2014 passport is at the top... For proper air exchange according to our salesman. Also, no lock on the door is because there's no emergency exit. That makes sense with this trailer, but not our previous 2010 Outback which had an outside door in it (which did have a lock on it...luckily!)

Monica, I think you'll find that the "real reason" why there's no lock on the bathroom door is because "non-locking door hardware" costs $2.80 per set and "locking doorset" costs $2.90. The numbers here are "made up" but the concept is what drives almost everything you'll find as "why didn't they??" in your RV.

GMcKenzie
06-06-2014, 02:05 PM
I thought that it is like that so I can slip little pieces of paper under the door to the dog. He than walks away chewing and the wife chases him around trying to figure out what the dog got this time. It worked 2 times I am not sure if I can get away with that again.

I know what I'm trying next camping trip.

:D

Steve S
07-27-2014, 05:32 PM
I have no gaps in my door, the fan is only on when showering and there's never been a smell in there no matter who's in there but then again my toilet is different then most.:p

Desert185
07-28-2014, 07:54 AM
I have no gaps in my door, the fan is only on when showering and there's never been a smell in there no matter who's in there but then again my toilet is different then most.:p

My poo doesn't stink, either. Welcome to the club. "bouncey:

Steve S
07-28-2014, 07:59 AM
My poo doesn't stink, either. Welcome to the club. "bouncey:

I have a composting toilet, no smells ever"bouncey: No flushing either so no water leaks! And the best thing about it is that I never have to put the seat down as there isn't one:hpyclp: Life is grand when the wife is happy! lol!

TLB
07-28-2014, 08:14 AM
My poo doesn't stink,
sounds like my wife, but I tell her otherwise ;)