PDA

View Full Version : Laredo 316RL rear rack for generator

sjturbo
06-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Morning, DW and I will be picking up our "new to us) 2010 316RL in a couple of weeks and I have many questions. I know the unit has a pull out bike rack that has been described as semi useless. My plan is to have my stepson do some welding to mount a generator rack that we currently have on our TT. Total traveling weight is approx. 150lb. (eu3000 + rack and gas). Has anyone done anything similar? Comments? Here are a couple of shots. It is a Harbor Freight alum rack on a frame he built.
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_82287_0_d7c84632a302237623a635c675640d4c.jpg (http://s822.photobucket.com/user/sjturbo/media/IMG_0120_zps1bbc1c72.jpg.html)

gepaine
06-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Here are pictures of my solution for carrying both our bikes and generator. Got the generator box custom built by a guy in Lake Havasu, AZ. It carries a Honda 2000 and a 2 gal gas can. Got the support brackets custom welded by a local welding shop. Works great for us.

sjturbo
06-12-2013, 06:27 PM
NICE! We used to have a rack for the mountain bikes but moved them into the truck bed when we installed the generator. Due to back and neck injuries I no longer ride so it gave us some room. Now that we are moving to a 5th wheel bed storage is no longer an option.

mapleman3
08-11-2013, 02:10 PM
Here are pictures of my solution for carrying both our bikes and generator. Got the generator box custom built by a guy in Lake Havasu, AZ. It carries a Honda 2000 and a 2 gal gas can. Got the support brackets custom welded by a local welding shop. Works great for us.

I love this setup. I would love to see a few more pics. Do you use the Genny in the box? Or do you still take it out. Real interested in doing this for my Summerland.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gepaine
08-11-2013, 02:45 PM
mapleman3,

Yes, I run the generator in the box since the box was designed for that purpose. (I first remove the gas tank, of course.)

Here is where I got the box:

http://www.kshmarine.com/generator_box.htm

I had them make mine 3 inches wider to provide room for the gas tank. I also made a hinged door to cover the exhaust port when not running the generator. (The supplier sent me a custom-cut piece of diamond plate and I located the stainless steel hinge on the web.)

You can find the gas tank on the web - various vendors sell hard-plastic gas tanks for carrying on an ATV or motorcycle. (Mine is made by Rotopax.)

shane772
09-30-2013, 06:29 PM
gepaine: what is the bluish things holding the front wheels, look to be connected to bike frames and the wheels?

sjturbo
09-30-2013, 08:06 PM
Nice looking setup gepaine! Nice bikes also. I used to carry two mountain bikes in the truck bed before we bought the 5ver. I had thought about going with twin eu2000's also, but it seems that our eu3000 is still running well. I decided not to put the genny in the back this time because the 316 has a large window in the back and near the rear on the passenger side, (I bought it for that reason). So, I believe we will be storing it in front of the hitch.

gepaine
10-01-2013, 04:00 PM
gepaine: what is the bluish things holding the front wheels, look to be connected to bike frames and the wheels?

They are bike separators that I use to secure the top of the wheels in place. (The bottom of each wheel is bungee'ed to the structure I installed on the slide-out tray.) You can learn more about the separators here:

http://www.recrac.com/Add_a_Bike_Separators_p/nabs.htm

What is very good about them, that is not mentioned on the above site, is their length is adjustable to accommodate any span from about 6 to 9 inches.

airforceret
10-03-2013, 07:59 AM
FYI... for those of you with the rear bumper that slides out as a rack, be sure to purchase a small diameter hitch pin lock to replace the non-locking pin or one day you may either find your stuff along the highway (as the pins have been removed / stolen and it has fallen off) or you may find that it is missing entirely (as the who rack and it's contents have been stolen).

Some may think "stolen?" Yes... you'd be surprised at how quickly it can be stolen with floor jacks, a transmission jack, etc... just wheeled away! Bikes, generator, everything!

byrdr1
10-03-2013, 09:38 AM
I like this.. I was able to install extra supports on Cougar TT Slide out tray. but could not figure out how too on my 5er with enclosed under belly.
Can I copy this? I have access to metal and welder/fabicator. just needed something to go on!
Dang that lloks good.
randy