PDA

View Full Version : Camping Foods

Lost
06-12-2013, 03:06 AM
It's seems the older I get the more I enjoy food. When we go camping we usually come home with a new great recipe for camping dinners etc. Do you have any camping recipe's that you would like to share with us? On this Forum under community / social groups / Kamp Kitchen you can share your recipe's and get new recipe's for your camping dinners. "bouncey:

Badboy
06-12-2013, 03:22 AM
Have you tried cooking over the wood fire,if not give it a try,we cook everything over the fire and I mean everything,Breakfast,lunch and dinner all in cast iron mmmmmm good."bouncey: "bouncey:

Family_5ers
06-12-2013, 06:21 AM
We have also gotten into the habit of cooking most everything directly over the fire. We used to haul our big grill from home but with a few modifications we're happy with the tripod set-up. Our glamping trips have a reputation for non-traditional camping foods. No hot dogs here :) My favorites are steak and eggs for breakfast, walking tacos for lunch and a good smoked fish with spicy rice or potatoes or dinner. We're also campfire pie connoisseurs and always looking for way to step it up.

Kristi
06-12-2013, 06:56 AM
Over the years when we were tent campers, we started trying out pre cooked meals ( got real tired of hotdogs) I would put together casseroles and pasta dishes at home using foil pans & set them over the fire grate to re-heat. Now we use the Aussie grill behind the TT. :)

crash
06-12-2013, 09:12 AM
We also cook over the fire ,but also use the crock pot for (ribs,whole chicken,pot roast,pork chops,breakfast casaroles,beans oh I love me some beans and some corn bread:D)

B&T
06-12-2013, 09:29 AM
We prefer the term "Camp Grub" :) Lends a rustic ambiance to the any food.

Badboy
06-13-2013, 03:47 AM
We make sausage gravy over the fire,eggs,bacon,,pancakes, biscuits,roast,pork chops,anything and everything over the fire in cast iron."bouncey:

SAABDOCTOR
06-13-2013, 06:44 AM
OH Badboy your makin me hungry. there are some good sugestions over on kamp kitchen. hot dogs are ok IF THEY ARE GRILLED WITH CHEESE AND REAL BACON:D please add some of your favorites to the list.

Yak
06-13-2013, 04:47 PM
I camp alone often and I'm a minimalist, soup, sandwiches and trail mix works for me. It's just fuel.

GaryWT
06-14-2013, 03:49 AM
We do many different things. We cook over the fire from time to time, shish k bob as a snack at about 10 PM is always good, some baked potato, burgers and dogs sometimes over the fire and pies although we have not done that in awhile. The other thing we are into is the dutch oven, this weekend we will 5 sites and 4 of us have dutch ovens so we are all cooking in it to create a big meal. Our contribution will be a roast beef, someone is making chicken and ribs, someone has chili and the 4th we are unsure of. Also my youngest turns 18 on Monday so he is going to make his birthday cake in the dutchoven.

curlyfungirl
06-14-2013, 12:36 PM
We have also gotten into the habit of cooking most everything directly over the fire. We used to haul our big grill from home but with a few modifications we're happy with the tripod set-up. Our glamping trips have a reputation for non-traditional camping foods. No hot dogs here :) My favorites are steak and eggs for breakfast, walking tacos for lunch and a good smoked fish with spicy rice or potatoes or dinner. We're also campfire pie connoisseurs and always looking for way to step it up.

What is a walking taco?

curlyfungirl
06-14-2013, 12:38 PM
My hubby just LOVES Hamburger Helper. I have one whole cupboard full of it. He like to pick out his flavor of the day. It does not float when we have company though lol.

fla-gypsy
06-17-2013, 07:12 PM
We love planning CG cookouts and also enjoy eating out on lazy days

Family_5ers
06-26-2013, 11:12 AM
Tried a new one this weekend that I'd found on line. Campfire donuts - huge hit. Wrap the end of a 1/2' size stick with foil. Around the foiled end wrap biscut dough. Roast over the fire until golden brown. When done, dip in some melted butter- then roll in cinnamon and suger- YUM!

pmh
06-26-2013, 07:48 PM
We do many non-traditional foods when camping. We usually have a group of 8-12 people. We use our charcoal grills and/or Coleman Propane grills.

We will do Biscuits & Gravy along with the usual eggs and bacon.
Fried Chicken, Minutes Steaks , Mashed Potatoes and Gravy, Smoked Ribs.
When we have Tacos, we will take the flour Totillas that are left fry them in grease and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, instant elephant ears.

I'd list more but I'm getting hungry. :)

suza
06-28-2013, 10:54 PM
I like to have as many meals prepared in advance as time allows. I keep a lot of frozen soups, spaghetti, chili, etc, usually from leftovers, ready to go when we decide to take a trip. I also fill the RV fridge with fresh vegetables and fruits. We've had family campouts at our ranch where all I can think about is getting back to the house for a good meal. Takes the fun out of camping, for me. I'd much rather spend my camp time on outdoor activities or relaxing with a good book. Sitting around cooking and eating all day is not my idea of a fun camping trip and hot dogs are my least favorite food. I will, however, eat my share of toasted marshmallows :D

I also believe in the minimalist approach. I'm there to enjoy the outdoors.

Family_5ers
07-01-2013, 05:53 AM
Snack size bags of Doritos (I like to crush mine), put your taco meat and fixings right in the back-shake and service. When you're done, you just throw the bag away. Work good for kids because I put out all the toppings seperately and they each person can just put in what they want.

suza
07-01-2013, 08:14 AM
Snack size bags of Doritos (I like to crush mine), put your taco meat and fixings right in the back-shake and service. When you're done, you just throw the bag away. Work good for kids because I put out all the toppings seperately and they each person can just put in what they want.

I'd forgotten about this. When I was a kid, we used to do this with Fritos. I don't think they had Doritos "way back then" :) Good with chili, too.

azlee56
07-01-2013, 08:51 AM
I still want to know what a walking taco is.

hankpage
07-01-2013, 09:46 AM
I still want to know what a walking taco is.

Family_5ers said,
Snack size bags of Doritos (I like to crush mine), put your taco meat and fixings right in the bag-shake and serve. When you're done, you just throw the bag away. Work good for kids because I put out all the toppings separately and then each person can just put in what they want.

Javi
07-01-2013, 10:00 AM
At least one night we have bone in ribeye about 1 3/4" thick:D the rest of the time we eat sandwiches.

Woodsrider
08-18-2013, 12:38 PM
At least one night we have bone in ribeye about 1 3/4" thick:D the rest of the time we eat sandwiches.

How do you like that Flame King RV-Q?
We just bought our trailer, and have only used the grill twice, and I was less than impressed with how long it took to get hot, and the time it took to cook four quarter pound buffalo burgers, and thought it seemed to take a while to do the kabobs as well.

I'm thinking about putting a QD fitting my SS suitcase grill.

Carmen D
08-18-2013, 01:56 PM
My favorite when camping is Southwest Mess. Slice some chicken breast into finger size servings and spice with chili powder, Comino (also known as cumin),some garlic (how much you ever want to add),and onions, a little salt and pepper to taste. Cook in a cast iron skillet until done (usually 3 minutes on each side), remove chicken from skillet and add to the skillet 1 can drained and rinsed black beans, one ear of corn cooked over fire until ear is slightly blackened and cut corn off cob into skillet, a couple tbsp. of hot sauce into skillet when all is hot, re-introduce the chicken. Let them all get to know each other and serve with hot corn tortillas' or the chip of your choice.