PDA

View Full Version : Infiniti QX56

Zindog
06-11-2013, 08:30 AM
We recently purchased a 2013 Passport 2910BH. So far, so good. The TV is a 2012 Infiniti QX56 4x4. The QX has a 5.6L V8, 400HP, and 413 lb-ft of torque. Anyone else using the QX (or similar Nissan Armada) as a TV? Any lessons learned you can share?

Thanks

SAABDOCTOR
06-11-2013, 09:34 AM
hp and torque are wonderfull things but what is the hitch weight of the camper vs your suv? what is the towing cap of the infinity? what is the axel weight with the tailer attached? i am sorry i do not have that info but you can look it up in your owners manual. If the numbers work great if not then rethink the TV.If I get a chance i will go online and look it up.

SAABDOCTOR
06-11-2013, 09:53 AM
hi just did a quick look up it can tow 8500 lbs your camper max is over 7k hitch weight was 750 add battery(s) and propane your about 100 lbs under the max hitch weight and pass cargo pets fuel all contribute to the max weight. this was a quick web search I have no idea what extras are on your car that would add to the weight. just my 2 cents take it to a weigh station and remove all doubts.:banghead: good luck!

Zindog
06-11-2013, 10:50 AM
I appreciate the information, but not exactly what I was asking for. I have done the math part. Just want to know if anyone else is running a similar setup. Not a lot of info out there with folks using the QX56 as a TV. Thanks again.

SVichera
06-11-2013, 12:07 PM
Zindog,
I had the same problem when I was trying to get information regarding a Lincoln Navigator as a tow vehicle. I searched the Ford Expedition forums and got many opinions. Try search for a Nissan Armada forum and you will find a wealth of information. Not many people use the luxury versions of SUVs as tow vehicles (Escalade, QX56, Navigator, etc.) even though generally they are the same as their counterpart.

SAABDOCTOR
06-12-2013, 05:45 AM
Sorry zindog I did not get the idea you had done the math. In my years of camping I never noticed the high end suv's towing anything but a pop up! I live in Fairfield county!!(stick your nose up in the air and look down on everyone) camping is a Hilton without room service. But if you are with in the weights and have a brake controller.than why not with that hp and torque plus the niceeeee ride what a nice way to tow! travel safe and enjoy let us know how it goes.:cool:

f6bits
06-12-2013, 06:02 AM
That's also a very long trailer. If the weight capacity numbers are within reason, I suggest you look into a Hensley or Propride hitch. It'll keep the trailer from wagging your Infinity around.

JRTJH
06-12-2013, 09:02 AM
My concern with the Infinity would be wheelbase length. You have the HP and Torque to tow a "reasonable sized" RV, but the wheelbase guidelines indicate that you might be pushing the limit there. As stated, a Hensley might be your best bet to help counter the short wheelbase with any RV over 22' or so.....

ewkearns
06-12-2013, 09:33 AM
I see problems.

HP is a great thing, but having to turn about 6,000 RPM to develop rated horsepower out of that small a displacement means towing is going to sound like a Formula 1 race.....

Problem #2 is that I believe it has a 2.937:1 axle ratio.... not so good for towing.

Weights: gross vehicle weight (lbs): 7,300, published curb weight (lbs): 5,590, gross trailer weight braked (lbs): 8,500 and payload allowance (lbs): 1,710

SAABDOCTOR
06-12-2013, 10:26 AM
like i said i see most pulling pop ups

ewkearns
06-12-2013, 04:51 PM
Hmmmm.... Wonder why? :D

Port List
06-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Hi Zindog - I pull a 24 ft. Hornet Hideout with my Armada and it does just fine. Weights and capacities are within limits with the weight distributing hitch. Power and handling is excellent and stability is great with sway control installed. I did invest in the Titan Big Tow mirrors and my Nissan dealer was kind enough to install them on the cuff. 29' does seem long, but if the math works you should do fine. Happy camping!

Zindog
06-28-2013, 06:07 AM
I have mixed feelings, but I have traded my QX56 for a 2013 Ford F-250 w/ the Diesel. While all the math works out, it does come close. Living in Northern Virginia and liking to be in the mountains it became an easier decision after a recent experience. While towing back from a weekend trip, we got stuck behind a semi carrying a load of onions. The further we went up the hill - the slower the semi got. Once we hit 25MPH on the interstate, I made the decision to pass. We passed - but not without hitting 6500+ RPM.

If the terrain was flat or even rolling hills I would feel more comfortable in the QX, but it isn't and I had to bite the bullet in order to feel safe for the family. Now I just have to figure out what to do with the dogs.