PDA

View Full Version : Stromberg/Carlson EZ door opener

Trent McCain
06-11-2013, 08:01 AM
Several months ago I had an idea after watching my petite 6yr old daughter try and open the door to our 5th wheel. Why don't the door mfg's engineer the door so the handle is at the bottom at a natural height to allow for comfortable opening? Made perfect sense to me. Last week I was reading through RV Pro magazine, and found this product, that addressed my concerns. I called the mfg and the secretary advised this was the first week of shipping and I could buy direct from the factory at retail price, or possibly save alittle from my local supplier. Price was
$49.95 + S & H. Figuring the price would be closer to $100, I said send it my way and I'll try it. Assembled it on the kitchen table last night and installed it this morning. Works well, and just what we needed to allow the kids easy access to the coach. My daughter is with my parents for the day, so I haven't got an "official" thumbs up from her yet. Although the instructions do not mention it, I applied plumbers putty around the screw holes befor installing to keep out moisture. I also applied a felt pad behind the latch to it wouldn't rub against the door.

Trent

Clanton24v
06-11-2013, 11:13 AM
Awesome thanks for the info

CUFFS054
06-11-2013, 02:19 PM
Am I the only one here old enough to remember when Stromberg Carlson was known for it's electronics? You know, tube driven, monoral, radios. Ah, those were the days,
"The Shadow, Johnny Dollar, Fibber McGee and Molly"

alien_scones
06-11-2013, 02:35 PM
Does that handle automatically fold in or is it another hatch / latch / handle the DW has to jump out of the truck to secure before you enter the freeway?

Trent McCain
06-11-2013, 03:51 PM
Its spring loaded and returns to the position shown.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

michol02
06-11-2013, 08:01 PM
That's really neat:D

RJ&S
06-12-2013, 04:11 PM
It looks like that will work great. Good job Dad!

Trent McCain
06-12-2013, 04:28 PM
Daughter came home from Grandpa/ma's today. She tried it out...says "that's pretty niffty Daddy...thank-you." So it gets her approval.

Clanton24v
06-12-2013, 08:25 PM
Just ordered one from campingworld

ThePressureIsOn
06-14-2013, 10:03 AM
It doesn't get any better than that....a thank you from your little one.:D

Trent McCain
06-15-2013, 08:18 PM
That is so true!

Clanton24v
06-24-2013, 05:10 PM
So mine came in I installed it. But it seems like it could really use stronger springs to return it to the closed position
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/06/25/y9eqyqe6.jpg

Trent McCain
06-24-2013, 07:15 PM
Daughter and I are on the road for harvest now. So its getting plenty of use. Only issue I'm having is every few days I have to reposition the clamp on the door handle as it slides down. Possibly can install double stick tape on the clamp as a shim, or bend the bracket to allow it to clamp the handle tighter, or may just drill and install a small rivet through the bracket and handle. That's the only issue, and my daughter loves it.

Clanton24v
06-25-2013, 06:08 PM
So today I sprayed some ZEP clear penetrating grease on all the friction areas of the handle and it seems to have fixed the no return issue I was having. I love the handle and it helps the kids a lot.