PDA

View Full Version : Sewer odor in Camper..Fixed I hope!

SoGaDually
06-09-2013, 11:48 AM
Every time we pull the camper and arrive at our destination the camper "SINKS" inside. Odor is coming from the black tank. So after doing a little studying of our camper and how things are setup, I think I figured out what is happening. :confused:
The Sewer Vent is in the center of the roof located behind the bathroom roof vent which is located behind the front A/C Unit. As air is passing over the A/C unit and bathroom roof vent it is causing Air turbulence over the Sewer Vent forcing air down the Sewer Vent which in turn causing the bad odor in the camper.
Today I installed a Camco Cyclone 360° RV Plumbing Vent. Now if this works as they claim it does, "Camco RV Cyclone Sewer Plumbing Vent uses the power of the wind to draw holding tank odors out of your RV. Even a gentle breeze works with the dynamically engineered shape of the cyclone to create a powerful vortex that pulls odors up and away. It attaches easily to any RV plumbing vent. Rotates 360 degrees to follow the wind".
This should take care of my issue with the odor..We will soon find out..:D
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_81690_0_88c1601a915cb657fdec7fa6a9b38d96.jpg
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_81690_1_41796ecfdbd7315149fdf78217727116.jpg

Stublejumper
06-09-2013, 01:06 PM
That explains where that smell is coming from. Will have to pick one up this week.thx

pmh
06-09-2013, 01:08 PM
A couple of years ago I had a Innsbrucks TT and I had the same problem with odor. I installed the Cyclone just like you did.
I can tell you that was the end of the odor problems for me. I hope it works the same for you.

RJ&S
06-09-2013, 06:56 PM
We haven't had this problem YET, but good to know. I haven't bought a trailer gadget in the last five minutes, so here we go. :)

kc9ojn
06-09-2013, 07:28 PM
I might have to buy one just for the cool shark fin look.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

richf28
06-10-2013, 02:22 AM
I too installed the cyclone. It solved my odor problem. It's a cheap and easy install solution.

SAD
06-10-2013, 02:28 AM
I had a similar problem on a previous RV. The bedroom A/C wasn't installed properly and the outside and inside air was mixing - drawing outside air in...

Was worse with bedroom A/C turned on and right after a toilet flush.

Something to check if the vent thing doesn't work 100%.

dankent
06-10-2013, 02:36 AM
Good to know, I will add this to my new RV when it comes as well.

crash
06-10-2013, 03:23 AM
We havent had that problem yet ,but I think we may buy on to have just in case we do have that problem:D

UsTwo
06-10-2013, 08:04 AM
i believe i should get one as well...:)

Comptech
06-11-2013, 05:24 AM
This forum is so awesome, I too just noticed the same exact problem. I thought it might be because of all the tossing of the trailer on the road it was just coming back through the toilet. The smell would always be there after a tow. This is going to be on my shopping list asap... As another poster said, I haven't bought any RV gadgets in the last 5 minutes, so time to go shopping...(tx)

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/cyclone-sewer-vent/31992

So the video says to use 100% Silicone Caulk...... Is that safe for the rubber roof? I would think you would want to use rubber roof self leveling caulk?

pmh
06-11-2013, 06:43 AM
This forum is so awesome, I too just noticed the same exact problem. I thought it might be because of all the tossing of the trailer on the road it was just coming back through the toilet. The smell would always be there after a tow. This is going to be on my shopping list asap... As another poster said, I haven't bought any RV gadgets in the last 5 minutes, so time to go shopping...(tx)

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/cyclone-sewer-vent/31992

So the video says to use 100% Silicone Caulk...... Is that safe for the rubber roof? I would think you would want to use rubber roof self leveling caulk?

I used the 100% Silicone caulk and it worked perfectly.

JRTJH
06-11-2013, 07:39 AM

The RV roof in the video is an aluminum roof. Silicone is OK for use on that roof system. If you notice he also used a metal putty knife to remove the old putty. I'm not sure why they showed a rubber roof patch kit (for when you damage the roof)...

I would use DICOR, not silicone, just in case I ever needed to remove the new cyclone vent for maintenance or to replace it......

As for silicone, I "think" it's OK for a one time use application. But you must "get it right" the first time. The issue comes with trying to remove it or to apply more silicone on top of the existing layer. It won't stick to itself and you can't remove all of the old, so there's no way to repair leaking silicone. DICOR is removable and a new layer will adhere to the old, so it can be patched, unlike silicone.

gkainz
06-11-2013, 08:16 AM
I like it! I wonder if I can hook up a weather station to it to get wind speed and direction?

Chiefs
09-05-2013, 07:49 PM
Okay guys,

So I've done the research like you have and now I have one of these. How can I tell which of the two vents is for the black water tank?

Thanks,
Bill

Ron
09-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Okay guys,

So I've done the research like you have and now I have one of these. How can I tell which of the two vents is for the black water tank?

Thanks,
Bill

Have someone flush the toilet and listen in the vents on the roof, you will here water running into the black tank.

Ron
09-05-2013, 08:15 PM
Every time we pull the camper and arrive at our destination the camper "SINKS" inside. Odor is coming from the black tank. So after doing a little studying of our camper and how things are setup, I think I figured out what is happening. :confused:
The Sewer Vent is in the center of the roof located behind the bathroom roof vent which is located behind the front A/C Unit. As air is passing over the A/C unit and bathroom roof vent it is causing Air turbulence over the Sewer Vent forcing air down the Sewer Vent which in turn causing the bad odor in the camper.
Today I installed a Camco Cyclone 360° RV Plumbing Vent. Now if this works as they claim it does, "Camco RV Cyclone Sewer Plumbing Vent uses the power of the wind to draw holding tank odors out of your RV. Even a gentle breeze works with the dynamically engineered shape of the cyclone to create a powerful vortex that pulls odors up and away. It attaches easily to any RV plumbing vent. Rotates 360 degrees to follow the wind".
This should take care of my issue with the odor..We will soon find out..

I noticed we have the same trailer as you and we do not have a sewer odor problem, if that was the only problem we had I would be happy. We are still having the Frame Flex issue, 2nd time around, trailer is going in Oct. 11th, when I thought we had bought the cream of the crop, but I guess not...:(

Jim Dow
09-06-2013, 12:34 AM
I just bought on of these; but I haven't installed it yet. What kind of caulking should I use around the base?

JRTJH
09-06-2013, 04:47 AM
I just bought on of these; but I haven't installed it yet. What kind of caulking should I use around the base?

Refer to posts # 12 and 13 in this thread and then choose.

Chiefs
09-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Have someone flush the toilet and listen in the vents on the roof, you will here water running into the black tank.

Thanks, Ron.

I used your trick and did the install. So far so good.

Bill

2013 Keystone Bullet
2008 Chevy Silverado 1500

SoGaDually
09-07-2013, 04:32 AM
I noticed we have the same trailer as you and we do not have a sewer odor problem, if that was the only problem we had I would be happy. We are still having the Frame Flex issue, 2nd time around, trailer is going in Oct. 11th, when I thought we had bought the cream of the crop, but I guess not...:(

Keep me posted on the flex frame issue you are having. I would be interested in hearing more about your issue and the out come of how the dealer handles it.
I haven't notice that with ours. We really haven't had any major issues, just a few small ones that I was able to take care of.

SoGaDually
09-07-2013, 04:52 AM

I use NuFlex 311 Self-Levelling RV Sealant. You can get it through Camping World. I had a RV Tech tell me about this stuff a while back. I like it better than Dicor

SoGaDually
10-13-2013, 05:40 PM
This weekend makes the fourth trip out since I have installed the Camco Cyclone 360° RV Plumbing Vent. It did the trick. No more bad odor in the RV.
All I can say it works as advertised. If you have a sewer odor problem I will now recommend the Cyclone 360° RV Plumbing Vent....
I'm happy, more important Mama is happy!:D

TandE
10-13-2013, 05:59 PM
Glad it worked out for you. I have been thinking of doing this since every now and then we get the smell in the rv but it is mainly when the vent fan is on. Does it help in that situation too?

SoGaDually
10-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Glad it worked out for you. I have been thinking of doing this since every now and then we get the smell in the rv but it is mainly when the vent fan is on. Does it help in that situation too?

Not sure if it would help or not with the problem your having, It can't hurt anything either if you decide to instal one. Our issue was was while pulling our RV then once stopped we had a slight sewer odor in the RV.
If your vent fan is close to the sewer vent on the roof and you have the fan set to draw air into the RV, it could be drawing fumes from the sewer vent.

Jim Dow
10-14-2013, 04:58 PM
I bought one of these units; but I haven't installed it yet.

What type of sealant did you use around the base of the unit?

JRTJH
10-14-2013, 05:38 PM

SoGaDually answered that in post # 22.

SoGaDually
10-15-2013, 10:18 AM

I use Nuflex 311. Camping world handles it.

TimPasq
01-03-2014, 02:43 PM
We have a 2012 Bullet 248RKS that we really like. Have over 11,000 miles on it so far and only a few minor problems that have been easily fixed. We are wintering in it in Arizona -- in place for two weeks. Yesterday we noticed a sewer smell only under the sink. I checked for leaks and checked all fittings and found no loose fittings, no cracks and no evidence of leaks. Any idea of how to find the source of the smell?

JRTJH
01-03-2014, 03:22 PM
By "sewer smell" do you mean "musty gray water smell" or "black tank smell"???

The two tanks are not connected and the black tank smell can not get "under the sink" unless there's a major malfunction like a cracked tank with an air leak under the sink.

If it's a "musty gray water" odor, chances are the "cheater vent" is bad. It looks like the attached picture and you can buy a replacement at Lowes or HD for about $8. Unscrew the old, screw on the new and you'll be "good to go"

To check to be sure it's the cheater vent, put a Ziploc sandwich baggie over it and tape it to seal any leaks. If the odor goes away, you'll know it's the vent.

FullTimer
01-03-2014, 04:09 PM
We haven't had this problem YET, but good to know. I haven't bought a trailer gadget in the last five minutes, so here we go. :)

Haha, no kidding, I looked at my Ebay purchases 11 so far in the last 30 days, not counting what I have purchased locally lol. My last trip to the Rv place last week, made me several hundred lighter.

TimPasq
01-03-2014, 06:39 PM
JRTJH,
Thanks. It was what you call the "cheater vent". While awaiting a reply to my email I did a thorough search and found what I would call an air vent terminating behind the sink with a cap and what appeared to be two factory made rectangular holes about half inch by 3/4 inch in the cap. I put duct tape over the two holes and the odor disappeared. This is truly an odd contraption. It serves the same purpose as the air vent going out the roof as described in earlier posts but terminates under the countertop behind the sink… why would a vent terminate in such a manner to invite the odor… unless there is some sort of flap to prevent return of sewer odors inside the cap (cheater vent) that has failed? I'll check at Lowes and/or Home Depot for a replacement. Thanks again… I'll disassemble the old one to understand how it works.

JRTJH
01-03-2014, 08:29 PM
You're very welcome. The cheater vent is designed to allow air INTO the system (to prevent burping) but has a rubber flapper that is supposed to stop any backflow of sewer gas from the tank back into the cabinet that the vent is installed in. Over the years (sometimes months) depending on what "gas" the rubber is exposed to, it will start to dry out and curl on the edges. Then it won't seal properly and backflow gasses can seep past the flapper.... That's probably what you'll find once you get it disassembled. I'm glad it was that and nothing more serious like a cracked holding tank or broken vent pipes. Good luck replacing it. I always keep a spare at home and in the trailer.

Quiroule
01-04-2014, 05:44 AM
I have a Cougar HC 291 RLS, I have never seen this cheater vent and I have been everywhere Inside and out. Is-it possible that I don't have any.

JRTJH
01-04-2014, 07:53 AM
I have a Cougar HC 291 RLS, I have never seen this cheater vent and I have been everywhere Inside and out. Is-it possible that I don't have any.

You probably have two, one under the kitchen sink, right off the downpipe (behind the P trap) and one under the vanity sink, usually in close to the same place as the kitchen one. Our 2011 Springdale had them, so I'm almost positive your 2010 Cougar is vented the same way. They are almost a standard vent practice for gray tanks on almost every RV. If I remember correctly, the ones in our Springdale were black, and very difficult to see.

TimPasq
01-04-2014, 11:35 AM
You probably have two, one under the kitchen sink, right off the downpipe (behind the P trap) and one under the vanity sink, usually in close to the same place as the kitchen one. Our 2011 Springdale had them, so I'm almost positive your 2010 Cougar is vented the same way. They are almost a standard vent practice for gray tanks on almost every RV. If I remember correctly, the ones in our Springdale were black, and very difficult to see.

Our 2012 Bullet is as JRTJH has described above. They are black and hard to see but go up from the drain pipe just past the "P-trap" behind the sinks in the kitchen and in the bathroom. Good luck.

KJcachers
01-04-2014, 03:53 PM
Our 2012 Bullet is as JRTJH has described above. They are black and hard to see but go up from the drain pipe just past the "P-trap" behind the sinks in the kitchen and in the bathroom. Good luck.

Isn't the black one in the bathroom under the vanity of the Bullet the black tank flush vacuum breaker? I need to check under my kitchen sink for that vent. I get some smells In the main cabin of my Bullet from time to time.

JRTJH
01-04-2014, 06:58 PM
Isn't the black one in the bathroom under the vanity of the Bullet the black tank flush vacuum breaker? I need to check under my kitchen sink for that vent. I get some smells In the main cabin of my Bullet from time to time.

There are possibly two devices mounted in the bathroom vanity. One is the "cheater vent" which WILL be there and the other is possibly the black tank flush anti-siphon valve. The black tank flush anti-siphon valve may be installed under the vanity, in the shower wall, in another wall or possibly even in the forward compartment tucked "WAAAAAYYYY up into the space under the shower.

Here are pictures of each, they are extremely difficult to get mixed up, but I suppose it has been done.....:bfart:

Remember, both of these devices are probably black, so don't look for a white vent or valve as some easy way to identify either, you most likely will only see them in black.

KJcachers
01-04-2014, 07:44 PM
Yeah, I've had to replace the black tank thing in my bullet. Don't remember seeing the other in the bathroom vanity. I'm guessing I probably only have the one in the kitchen because both sinks and the shower share the same grey tank.

Quiroule
01-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the info. I will check that as soon as it gets a bit warmer.