PDA

View Full Version : Dometic fridge not cooling

turbopilot51
06-09-2013, 07:40 AM
This weekend our Dometic side by side has quit cooling. I see no visible signs either inside or outside. Before I call the dealer and schedule an appointment, are there any ideas as to what happened?

hankpage
06-09-2013, 07:49 AM
By "No visible signs" do you mean the fuses on the control board are good??? Have you tried it on gas and electric???? When on gas can you hear the igniter or feel the heat from the flame in the chamber?? If you are under warranty call dealer but if not a little snooping on your part may be in order. Hank

turbopilot51
06-09-2013, 08:27 AM
By "No visible signs" do you mean the fuses on the control board are good??? Have you tried it on gas and electric???? When on gas can you hear the igniter or feel the heat from the flame in the chamber?? If you are under warranty call dealer but if not a little snooping on your part may be in order. Hank

The digital display is working so I assume the fuses are good. The fridge switches between gas and electric and runs on either. Maybe thermostat?

JRTJH
06-09-2013, 10:01 AM
Some of the Dometic side by sides have two cooling units, I'm assuming yours has only one. Inside the black box on the back of the reefer are two fuses. On the 2652 (6 cuft) model, the eyebrow control panel LED's will light even with both those fuses removed. I'd do a little walk around, remove the cover from that black box and physically check the fuses before I went any further.

raytronx
06-09-2013, 11:48 AM
The digital display is working so I assume the fuses are good. The fridge switches between gas and electric and runs on either. Maybe thermostat?

Is the gas definitely igniting? You can see a blue flame when you look in from outside access.

If the flame is good and you have left it run in gas mode for several hours and no signs of cooling -Have you smelled any ammonia smells in the last few days. Could be a bad cooling unit.

MarkS
06-09-2013, 01:26 PM
Like Raytronx says, let it run for several hours. The manual says to run it for 8 hours before putting in food. RV refs are slow to cool.

turbopilot51
06-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Like Raytronx says, let it run for several hours. The manual says to run it for 8 hours before putting in food. RV refs are slow to cool.

Yes there is flame. The refrigerator quit working on the second day of our camping trip. The unit had cooled down properly a few days ago and appeared normal. No sign of any coolant leak. This is not my first rv so I somewhat know how they work.

JRTJH
06-09-2013, 08:36 PM
Yes there is flame. The refrigerator quit working on the second day of our camping trip. The unit had cooled down properly a few days ago and appeared normal. No sign of any coolant leak. This is not my first rv so I somewhat know how they work.

Did you check the fuses inside the black box?

turbopilot51
07-01-2013, 07:13 PM
This weekend our Dometic side by side has quit cooling. I see no visible signs either inside or outside. Before I call the dealer and schedule an appointment, are there any ideas as to what happened?

A followup to what was found by the dealer. They got to my rig after a few days and turned on the fridge to check electric and gas operation. Of course everything worked as it sh0uld and cooled down properly. The service tech declared everything looked good and said it must be operator error. My service advisor said keep checking because I would not make that kind of mistake. After opening and closing the refrigerator doors several times the problem was found. On the side by side Dometic units there is a flap on the left door that seals against the right hand door. This provides an air tight seal to keep the cold inside. Dometic knows about the flap not sealing at times and offers a kit to fix this problem. My service advisor is getting this fixed at no cost to me even though my unit is past warranty period. The fix will take the dealer less than an hour to install and give the dw to shop at CW. Thanks to Lauri for all the help. :thumbsup: