PDA

View Full Version : Black Tank Sensor

Chippewa93
06-05-2013, 10:47 AM
I can empty my blank tank, back flush, spray it with a wand and still, at times with one use it will say its partially full. Any suggestions

kc9ojn
06-05-2013, 11:03 AM
There is ALOT on this one. Search for black tank maintenance. Also do a search on soda ash.

Good luck and happy camping.

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

Chippewa93
06-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Will do thanks

JRTJH
06-05-2013, 04:59 PM
There are three tank sensors on most black tanks, and the tank sensors are very easily fouled and any bit of TP or other debris that bridges the gap on the sensor will cause it to read at that level.

Trying to keep them clean is an never ending battle that you're not going to win. Give up, and either get the "outside sensors for "major bucks" or learn to judge by the sound how full your tank is. Trying to keep those sensors working is much more trouble than it's worth !!!!!

rayjoanlough
06-05-2013, 05:11 PM
On another forum an engineer uses a "GEO" method. I tried it and it works . Take a cup of calgon water softner and a cuup of liquid detergent and mix with water. Pour this mixture down the toilet into your black water tank. Drive to your next campout and when you drain your tanks this should help clean your sensors. I had to do it twice but now I treat the tanks every 2-3 "dump" loads.

mikey98e
06-06-2013, 06:31 AM
The sensors are not the best. Our freshwater sensor reads 1/3 full even when the tank is empty...
-mike

JRTJH
06-06-2013, 07:30 AM
On another forum an engineer uses a "GEO" method. I tried it and it works . Take a cup of calgon water softner and a cuup of liquid detergent and mix with water. Pour this mixture down the toilet into your black water tank. Drive to your next campout and when you drain your tanks this should help clean your sensors. I had to do it twice but now I treat the tanks every 2-3 "dump" loads.

You can do that and "try to win" the sensor battle, but at what cost? Calgon is several bucks a package, liquid detergent is also expensive. When adding up the cost of doing that as often as needed, is seeing lights on a panel really worth the expense? I suppose with unlimited income, it might be an "ego booster" to say, "I won the sensor battle" but in reality, it's literally money down the drain..... And, one piece of wet TP that hangs on a sensor during dumping will negate everything you poured down the drain.

After a few trips with the RV, most owners know how long they can go on the black tank before it's full, and they listen during the flush and can tell when they have a day or two left before needing to dump. That experience can easily save the money spent on chemicals poured down the drain and then flushed at the dump station.....

3P'sInACougar
06-06-2013, 07:46 AM
Well I read in another spot u can fill tank half full or so. Then add ice to tank an drive with ice cubes in tank they will move around an clean off sensors. But still cost $$$. They all act up so take ur pick if want it to read right or not. Happy camping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gepaine
06-06-2013, 08:09 AM
What JRTJH said X2.