PDA

View Full Version : Can you use a timer on the 120V feed to a RV in storage for charging the batteries?

ToyTLH
06-04-2013, 07:03 PM
I store my 2012 Raptor 300MP inside. It's original Interstate batteries would be very low or dead due to parasitic losses between uses because I was not wanting to leave it plugged in to 120V unattended.

After reading this forum and asking about it, I did start leaving it plugged into 120V using a 50amp to 120V adapter.

I then installed a set of Trojan SCS 225 RV/Marine 12V batteries and still leave it plugged in.

I still worry about having such good batteries charge 24 hours a day just to counter such small parasitic losses.

Could a person put a timer on the extension cord and maybe only have it charge a few hours a day that would surely keep up with the parasitic drains.

Thanks for the great site!

rjsurfer
06-07-2013, 02:08 AM
I'm thinking a battery disconnect switch would be a better and easier solution. Leaving the batteries unplugged for a few months is not a big deal, I leave mine unhooked for 3 months and they are fine.

Now 6 months or longer I'm not sure about.

Ron W.

Bob Landry
06-07-2013, 04:27 AM
Check the manual for your converter. It should be a three stage smart charger that will have a float stage that will deliver periodic small amounts of current to keep the battery charged without cooking it.

hankpage
06-07-2013, 04:43 AM
If you do use a timer make sure it can handle the current. An appliance timer is good but I don't think a cheap lighting timer will do the job safely. Mine is always plugged in and never a problem.