PDA

View Full Version : F250 suspension...again!

Andymon
06-04-2013, 03:32 PM
Well, I still have the "bounce" between 45 and 50.

I've had an alignment, tires rotated and balanced twice. Two alignment shops say it's gotta be the tires. they are basically brand new.

New shocks but no name on them...wondering if that could be the issue. Wheel bearings are fine as are the brakes.

Just don't feel I can tow until this issue is resolved.

The stiffness in the steering after having all four ball joints replaced seems to be getting better. Still doesn't come back to center all the way. Both alignment shops said that in some cases it could take a while.

tileman
06-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Could you have a bubble on the inside of your tire.

I had it happen once in our 2008 dodge 3500 Had it in three diff tire shops and then I finally took it to a tire shop that dose big rigs and big tires and such only took them maybe 10 min after a test drive to find it.

Hope you can get it fixed soon.

Also it could be a drive shaft U joint had that happen on my GMC box truck.

Found this 10 pages might be worth a shot at reading http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1009886-rear-end-bounces-40-45-mph.html

MarkS
06-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Doesn't come back to center? That does not sound right.

Yak
06-04-2013, 04:18 PM
Define "bounce'???

Andymon
06-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Define "bounce'???

At about 45-47 the truck has a sorta shimmy but not a back and forth motion but more of an up and down..like having the palm of your flat out in front of you and just moving the fingers up and down.

Like this "bouncey:

Andymon
06-04-2013, 04:41 PM
Doesn't come back to center? That does not sound right.

It comes back but not all the way. I have to actually move the steering wheel. Stopped at another alignment shop tonight and they said the same thing. Sometime the ball joints just need to loosen up and in some cases it can take maybe 500 miles or even more. Moog joints so not the cheapies. One shop said it could be a bad ball joint even though it's new.

fla-gypsy
06-04-2013, 05:06 PM
At about 45-47 the truck has a sorta shimmy but not a back and forth motion but more of an up and down..like having the palm of your flat out in front of you and just moving the fingers up and down.

Like this "bouncey:

That is a wheel or tire issue.

Yak
06-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Road force balance, could work wonders.

Andymon
06-04-2013, 05:52 PM
Road force balance, could work wonders.

Not sure what that means....

B&T
06-04-2013, 06:10 PM
Not sure what that means....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjLJ1g_DQS4

sagebel
06-04-2013, 07:06 PM
I would also agree with a wheel or tire issue. Have you tried rotating the fronts to the rear?

Jables
06-04-2013, 07:23 PM
Torque converter shudder or misfire?

Bob Landry
06-05-2013, 04:16 AM
You have a tire that the tread is separated from the casing. As you reach a certain speed, centrifugal force "slings" the tread away from the casing. If you just looking at the tire, it can look normal. I had this happen on a work van. My tire shop knew exactly what i was as soon as I explained what was happening.
The tire doesn't have to be particularly old for that to occur, it was just a bad tire.

jsmith948
06-05-2013, 05:16 AM
Steering not returning to center is NOT good. Have you had the steering box checked? Had a bad sector gear in a power steering box on a semi - acted like that

SAABDOCTOR
06-05-2013, 05:31 AM
I AM leaning towards what bob is telling you. one thing is alignments do not cure vibration/shakes. As i do not do a lot of truck work except my own. i am no expert on fords. but steering wheel centering is a function of caster adjustment. If your camber is camber and or caster are off, Moog makes a "problem solver" ball joint that is adjustable. if you don't ask for them you won't get them the adjustment is made by removeining the greese fitting and inserting an allen wrench in the hole then turn the adjustment. they are not cheap but as far as tire wear and steering goes they are worth it. I have them on my Dodge. have your tire dealer check the tires fro ply/ bead sepperation. hope it all works out for you.

Andymon
06-05-2013, 08:58 AM
I have had the tires rotated and balanced twice.

michael
06-05-2013, 09:56 AM
Are your test with and without the trailer ? and did you test on different roads ? with same results ?

michael
06-05-2013, 10:23 AM
My thoughts: week springs or cracked spring or springs or spring pins and or bushings, or like most are saying bubble in a tire. on the other pulling ? my ford suv had a slight pull, when I replaced the tires that solved that. now my pickup has a slight pull depending on the road but the pickup is also almost do for tires I will replace them with a E rated tire.
If your truck is bouncing because you have week side walled tires like a C or D rated then maybe you need to run E also.

Again all these are just off the cuff thoughts without seeing or knowing all the facts, Cracked cross member motor mount.

Good luck

michael
06-05-2013, 10:28 AM
One more thought would a tire balance pick up if you had a few broken steel cords in your tire.

SAABDOCTOR
06-05-2013, 10:43 AM
MOST TIRE BALANCERS DO NOT SPIN THE TIRE FAST ENOUGH. Sorry about the caps. one way we look for cord/ply seperation is to put the truck on a lift and run the tires at a fairly high speed and look for the shake. do you feel this bounce in the steering wheel or in the seat of your pants? any chance you have had the wheel flanges checked are they straight or bent? are your tires LT or car tires? good luck.

Andymon
06-05-2013, 11:10 AM
MOST TIRE BALANCERS DO NOT SPIN THE TIRE FAST ENOUGH. Sorry about the caps. one way we look for cord/ply seperation is to put the truck on a lift and run the tires at a fairly high speed and look for the shake. do you feel this bounce in the steering wheel or in the seat of your pants? any chance you have had the wheel flanges checked are they straight or bent? are your tires LT or car tires? good luck.

Tires are Westlake LT265/75R16 Load range E After a little research I see that Westlake isn't all that great a tire.

I'm going to go back to the last shop that has balanced my tires twice.

Andymon
06-05-2013, 11:11 AM
Are your test with and without the trailer ? and did you test on different roads ? with same results ?

Haven't pulled the trailer yet and yes, the problem is on any road other than one that might be a little rough.

SAABDOCTOR
06-05-2013, 11:55 AM
I Have never heard of that brand of tire. anyway it really seems to be tire related. i wish you the best.

Bob Landry
06-05-2013, 12:30 PM
I have had the tires rotated and balanced twice.

If the tread is separating and not causing any shimmy or side to side force, the standard tire balancing machine may not pick it up. Shimmy is usually cause by a warped or bent spindle, although excessively worn front end parts can cause it.

Hansel
06-13-2013, 05:43 PM
My truck has always had that kinda of bouncing that you are talking about, it was explained too me by my tire shop guy that it's the speed at which the tires harmonic's causes it too bounce, happens even when I slow down and the truck is passing through that speed area of 45-48mph. Nothing you can do about it:rolleyes:

SAABDOCTOR
06-14-2013, 09:43 AM
ALIGNMENTS DO NOT CURE SHAKES ,BOUNCES AND SHIMMY. THIS IS CAUSED BY( oops sorry about the caps not yelling! ) out of round out of balance , bent or ply seperation. I have seen this. you rotated the tires front to back, it is poss that two tire same side hit the same pothole at high speed two tire have ply sep. rotating did not help. As far as the steering return to center do you have the read out from the alignment shop? can you post them if you have them. also if your new joints have grease fittings pump some grease in them till the dust boots just start to bulge. you really have two seperate issues going on here.If you can get the truck on a lift and spin the wheels and look of any out of round in the wheels. or last resort take the truck to the tire shop and see if they will put a set of tires on it and go for a road test to see if the problem goes away. good luck:banghead:

Andymon
06-14-2013, 11:44 AM
ALIGNMENTS DO NOT CURE SHAKES ,BOUNCES AND SHIMMY. THIS IS CAUSED BY( oops sorry about the caps not yelling! ) out of round out of balance , bent or ply seperation. I have seen this. you rotated the tires front to back, it is poss that two tire same side hit the same pothole at high speed two tire have ply sep. rotating did not help. As far as the steering return to center do you have the read out from the alignment shop? can you post them if you have them. also if your new joints have grease fittings pump some grease in them till the dust boots just start to bulge. you really have two seperate issues going on here.If you can get the truck on a lift and spin the wheels and look of any out of round in the wheels. or last resort take the truck to the tire shop and see if they will put a set of tires on it and go for a road test to see if the problem goes away. good luck:banghead:

Steering is much better now. Two shops told me that it might take a few miles to get it to happen. As for the tires, rotated twice and balanced twice and the tires are like brand new with maybe 1000 miles on them if that.