PDA

View Full Version : Finally had a tire issue with my Maxxis tires

fla-gypsy
06-03-2013, 11:01 AM
The good thing is my Maxxis 225/75R/15D tire didn't blow on me even though severely compromised and what is really impressive here is it is 7 years old.

When arriving for the MD weekend at my favorite CG I noticed one my tires was down on air some and it was checked before leaving on the 90 mile trip. Closer examination showed the tire was damaged and seperating. I changed it out and completed the weekend with no issues and took it to my trusty neighborhood tire store on my return. The manager told me it could have been caused by hitting something at speed, very hard, which I did hit a rough rail crossing at 60 mph or it could be just age related since it was 7 years old. he said he could not make a definitive diagnosis.

I have opted to go ahead and replace all 5 due to the age but I am stepping up to the 225/75R/15E rated tire for a little more reserve capacity. After 7 years of use I am a firm believer in this tire being the absolute best of the ST tires available today. I damaged one other tire during that 7 year period by ripping up the sidewall on a ragged curb one day and it too took me to where I was going without failing as well. I have confidence in this tire makers ability to construct a quality ST tire.

diugo
06-03-2013, 03:04 PM
I recently bought a pair of Maxxis and will replace the other pair (and the spare) next year. Great to hear they take a licking but keep on ticking---even after seven years!

warsw
06-11-2013, 06:53 AM
Just put a new set of Maxxis 8008s on my Roust-About/hunting TT. Leaving for a 2000 mile trip in the morning. I've heard good reports on the Maxxis STs. Hope they do as well as yours.

antiqfreq
06-11-2013, 03:09 PM
We have the Maxxis tires, over 5 1/2 years now..rated D
and so far they look great.

Need to replace soon.......and will if we ever find out we can get
out and do some 'real' camping.

Usually only 30 mins to 1 hr from home these past few years.

Jo