PDA

View Full Version : Water Heater Problems in my Passport 2590BH

Pete
06-03-2013, 05:05 AM
Hi all- I just bought a 2011 Passport GT 2590BH. It was winterized when I bought from a private owner. I am still trying to get familiar with the trailer. I I am having trouble getting the hot water heater to work properly, it is the electric/gas model. I do hear it fire up occasionally but it runs for a short time and when I test the hot water in the fixtures it is luke warm at best then goes cold. Does any one know if I may be missing something?

I also have not been able to find the by pass for winterizing the water heater, with the enclosed underbelly it makes it difficult to follow the lines. When I purchased as I said it was winterized, the drain plug was out. I just replaced and fill the fresh tank and ran the pump, assuming it would fill the water heater tank.

Thanks for and help in advance.

f6bits
06-03-2013, 05:28 AM
I just discovered (yesterday) that mine looks to have the bypass. It's under my lower bunk. Remove the mattress and then the plywood board.

Here's a blurry shot that shows what looks like a bypass valve at the bottom:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/609598/trailer/bypass.jpg

MarkS
06-03-2013, 05:47 AM
If it was winterized, the WH is probably bypassed. It will not fill when bypassed.

Also, do not turn on the electric heater until you are sure the WH tank is full. It will burn out.

hankpage
06-03-2013, 05:56 AM
That is the by-pass valve. If the trailer was winterized with antifreeze that valve should have been closed to prevent antifreeze from going into the water heater. The valve is only 1/4 turn to the normal position and the tank should fill with water. If you turned on the electric to the water heater without water in it the element will need replacing.

Pete
06-03-2013, 06:39 AM
Thanks Everyone, I pulled off the panel behind the propane detector/alarm, but did not take the bunk plywood off, I am sure as soon as I do that it will be clear as can be.

One more quick question, how do you adjust the temp of the water(thermostat) on the water heater? I don't see a dial of any sort on the unit.

Thanks again.

JRTJH
06-03-2013, 07:16 AM
Pete,

There is no thermostat adjustment on the water heater. The propane thermostat and the electric thermostat (these are two separate items) are preset and not adjustable. There is also an electric "overtemp monitor" which is behind one of the two black rubber circles on the front of the water heater. If, by chance, your water heater malfunctions and overheats, pressing those rubber discs will reset the overtemp switch. Why are there two discs and only one switch? Hmmmmm Good question, no answers..... :confused:

Kristi
06-03-2013, 08:32 AM
Aha! I was also looking for a temp adjustment... at least I know why I didn't find it (tx)

Pete
06-03-2013, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the information!!