PDA

View Full Version : Antenna signal is weak

wpolderman
06-02-2013, 05:57 PM
We cannot get a signal on the t-v's in our newly purchased 08 Montana. The booster is on and channels cannot be programed into either t-v. I am wondering if I need a digital booster or if there is a problem with the antenna. The previous owner said he didn't have much luck with the antenna either. I also have to wonder if the t-v's put in the 08 Montana were digital ready. I would appreciate any ideas anyone has.

EricLynnAllison
06-04-2013, 05:47 PM
My new 2012 410lev Raptor had the same problem except I had a good signal in the evening, then would quit early morning. I bought a small antenna and began hooked it to my booster and everything worked. I found the cable between the antenna head and the roof mount were the problem. Once replaced, everything was fine.

hankpage
06-04-2013, 06:09 PM
TVs made before '09 may not have a digital tuner. One way to tell is if the remote has a - or a . with the number pad. Digital channels will be designated 2.1 or 2-1 , 4.1 or 4-1 and so on. You can get a digital converter for under $50 but in the long run you may want new tvs. All tvs after '09 no matter how cheap have digital tuners. Good luck, I hope this helps, Hank

wpolderman
06-04-2013, 06:22 PM
We hooked a cable directly from the antenna on the roof and ran it into the camper and hooked it up to the t-v's individually. They both received 4 PBS channels and no others. When hooked up inside the camper to the regular connections, they didn't receive any channels. We are wondering if the cable on the antenna itself is bad but you wouldn't think the PBS channels would come either. They came up as digital channels like 52.1, etc. It's really hard to figure out. We did try a digital converter box on the living room t-v and it didn't make any difference. The same 4 channels came up.

haffcke
06-10-2013, 01:01 PM
i was have having a terrible time receiving over the air tv stations with my 2011 TT, then with phone help from the tv mfg. i discovered lose cable connections both on back of tv and at booster hookup, now it is working as it should.

MarkS
06-10-2013, 02:38 PM
We hooked a cable directly from the antenna on the roof and ran it into the camper and hooked it up to the t-v's individually.

If you wire directly from the antenna, you are bypassing what most people call the booster. It is really the power supply for the antenna. Doing it that way, the antenna will not work very well. I'm guessing the PBS stations are the strongest where ever you are.

I would open the Winegard power supply plate. There should be three cables connected to it. One is the antenna. The other two are to TVs. I think the plate is marked as to which is which.

Make sure it looks like all three cable ends were made correctly. The metal part should be firmly connected to the cable. The copper wire in the center of the cables should stick out past the metal connectors about an eighth on an inch. When you look at the end of the connector you should not see the silver color braid shield.

Try to identify the cable to the antenna. It may be a different color. Make sure it is screwed into the proper connector on the Winegard plate.

You can run a cable from the plate directly to the antenna. That would identify if the cable to the antenna is bad. That is unlikely unless someone drove a nail through it.

It is also possible the antenna is bad. There are some electronics in the antenna head.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

hankpage
06-10-2013, 04:47 PM
The back of the power supply for your antenna looks like this.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_81895_0_24285fe865f78c939b0f0bb5379b22ca.jpg

Connections are antenna - park cable - set #2 ..... the front is set #1
these are as seen in my photo which is upside down.
You should also have 12v dc to the antenna when the switch is on (light lit) That light must be on for antenna to work and off for park cable