PDA

View Full Version : New Member Intro

Wingnut
06-01-2013, 06:10 AM
My wife and I purchased our first camper, a Passport 285RL, about a month ago. There was a two week delay in bringing it home due to a SNAFU in having a tow package installed on the SUV (my truck met an unfortunate demise when a large tree crushed it during a windstorm). Upon getting it home, our neighbors (experienced campers) discovered that the slide awning was installed incorrectly and was damaging the slide and awning. The dealer picked it up from the house and repaired the awning. They redelivered the trailer while we were not home yesterday. Unfortunately, the plate under the tongue jack is now bent up at a 45 degree angle, there is a dent on the upper road side with red transfer paint where it was towed into something, one of the door locks no longer works and some of the interior lights are now inoperative. :banghead: I took pics and sent them to the dealer last night and we are still planning to take it camping for the first time today at a nearby state park. I hope that the worse is behind us, and that we have many enjoyable years of camping ahead! I have been searching the forum and gleaning knowledge from all of you-thank you for sharing your experiences! (tx)

davidjsimons
06-01-2013, 06:52 AM
Welcome. I am sure you will be able to get all of this resolved. Then, you can truly enjoy your new camper. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Javi
06-01-2013, 07:13 AM
Howdy and welcome to the forum, hope everything works out for you.. safe travels

Wingnut
06-02-2013, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the welcome! We just returned from our first "trip." We spent Sat night in a local State Park. We had a great time although we discovered an issue with our city water hookup leaking at the connection to the trailer and we got water in the pass thru. On the way home we dropped the trailer back off at the dealer. Hopefully, it will be ready for this weekend as we can't wait to go again!

crash
06-03-2013, 02:31 AM
:wlcm:to the forum.You gotta love them new trailer blues.I am sure you will get everything worked out and have many Happy years of camping.:D

GaryWT
06-03-2013, 04:10 AM
Welcome to the forum. I hope all gets fixed for you so you can go off and enjoy your new rig.

suza
06-03-2013, 07:09 AM
Welcome to the forum. Hope things get better for you. We just got a new 5th-wheel. I'm crossing my toes, fingers, and eyes, hoping everything goes smoothly. We have spent two nights in the 5W, at our personal campground. Going on our first trip on Thursday (150 mi) and dry camping. Have to stop at the dealer's on the way and have a few minor adjustments made and clarify some operations. Other than that, so far so good. Sounds like you were off to a rough start.

All things said, we plan on having a really great time in our new Cougar.

azlee56
06-03-2013, 08:48 AM
Welcome! I guess at first a person just needs to smile and learn patience as all the quirks are worked out.

Suza, you have a personal campground??!! (mine would be my back yard).

suza
06-03-2013, 01:17 PM
Yes, you heard correctly. We live on a 140 acre ranch - 100 acres of timbered hillside and 40 acres of pasture and creek frontage. Our home sits on a knoll overlooking a flat along the creek with scattered 150 yr old Douglas Fir. I guess you could say it's in our backyard! It's unimproved (except when we run water down over the hill from the house and sometimes an extension cord :rolleyes: There's a huge, rough sawn table, a fire pit, an outhouse, and lots of room for our kids (adult), siblings, cousins, grandkids, pets and other extended family. Sometimes our cattle join the party and we have to get out the shovel and wheelbarrow. The creek is close, for fishing, swimming, crawdadding, and kayaks. We do have limited cell phone reception and wireless Internet (but I don't tell anyone). Oh, and did I mention? - plenty of space for campers! We keep it primative so our family doesn't stay too long :party: Every year, over 4th of July weekend, we host a family reunion and every 5 or so years, our HS class reunion.

It's our own little piece of heaven. I guess you can say we are blessed :)

crash
06-04-2013, 02:03 AM
Not mad just jealous:D

JRTJH
06-04-2013, 07:53 AM
My comment would be that you don't have to worry about tires for your RV. Just take em off, put the thing on blocks and never move it LOL

Awsome "personal campground" Like Crash, there's a bit of envy :D