PDA

View Full Version : which 5ver

outbackmac
07-19-2010, 07:35 AM
i have the 2004 ctd 4x4 qc 8'bed

We really like the Heartland sundance 3200 re
weights dry 10,100 hitch 1800 I know most say to use gross weight but just give me ur opinion

Also the outback 321 trl
weights dry 9485 hitch 1845

My truck weights
Loaded 7467
rear axle 2780
truck is rated 9000lbs and 20,000 gross
i will be over the rated of 9000

and right at 20,000 but well under the rear axle rating of 6,000 lbs

Jim W
07-20-2010, 04:00 AM
From what you posted I gather that you have a 2500HD, CTD truck. You did not state if you have an auto or stick, what are the diff gear ratio are and what are the tires rated for.

So hear goes with the limited information that you provided.

I have read and been told on another site that a 2500HD, CTD can safely tow up to 12,500 LBS GVW for a 5er trailer. You must be concern with several factors with your truck and camper combination. I will be listing the max allowable Gross weight of each component and none of your components should exceed these limits.
1. Front axle GAW 5,200LBS , 2. Rear Axle GAW 6,500LBS, 3. Truck and Trailer GCVW is 20,000 LBS, and your tire weight limits. You do not specify what load carrying capacity is on your tires. Are they D or E rated tires?

I obtain this information from the Dodge Builder Web site for your model year.

I also know other will tell you the truck will pull anything you attach to the truck. All you need to do is install Air bags and you will have a one ton truck. Not true, the air bags do not increase your load carrying ability. What they do allow you to do is to level out the truck when the rear end sags. The air bags have no ability in stopping the truck and trailer combination. What ever you pull you must stop this same load.
My $0.02
Jim

outbackmac
07-20-2010, 04:49 AM
Yes its a 2500 with a auto, and 3.73 rear end. tires are e rated

GBHRPS
07-20-2010, 05:33 PM
I'm no expert, but I've done the same research for the same reasons that you have, and I can see that your TV doesn't allow enough of a safety margin with either of these rigs you are considering.

By the time you add the propane, fresh water, full gray and black tanks because the park dump station was over capacity, dishes, the grill, 2 televisions, your wife and two friends, etc., etc., you'll be dangerously close to being overloaded. Safety limits suggest not going beyond 80% of the max load numbers recommended for your TV.

I would strongly suggest that you either upgrade your TV to a dually, or look for a lighter 5er.