PDA

View Full Version : Frame Flex Again

Ron
05-25-2013, 08:42 PM
Here we go round 2 on the Frame Flex Repair. We picked up our trailer at the end of January this year after Keystone authorized the Field repair on the Frame Flex issue we had, well after 2500 miles the cabinets in the front closet are comming apart and there is alot of movement with molding etc. I backed the Freightliner under the hitch, used a bottle jack and put weight on the pin, the hitch raised 1 1/2" upward before the landing gear comes off the ground. After having the trailer in the shop last year a total of 4 months, now what are we going to be dealing with this time, very unhappy with this trailer, big safety issue for me as I deal every day with loading and hauling heavy equiptment.......:(

Festus2
05-25-2013, 09:11 PM
Ron -

Yikes! :eek: It looks like the "fix" didn't work and you are looking at the same flexing problem all over again. I can't remember if you mentioned in any of your previous posts what was causing the flexing to occur or did the shop ever tell you what the problem was and how they were going to fix it?

I share your thoughts about the safety and integrity of the 5th wheel. Quite honestly, I would be very hesitant to hitch it up and go anywhere with it fearing that it would come apart while going down the road!

I'd be contacting both Keystone and the facility where it was repaired and having a discussion with them. I hope you're taking photos and/or videos of what has happened and keeping good notes along the way.

Having to go through this kind of problem once is enough. Twice is too much. Let us know how this unfolds.

Ron
06-01-2013, 12:41 PM
Well stopped by the dealer the other day per Keystone, took pics and sending them off to see what they want to do next. There is no rocket science to the structure of these things, the 2 cross members that the hitch is attached to are way to light weight in metal, the forward cross member flexis upward pushing up on the floor in the wardrobe creating problems there tearing things apart etc. the rear cross member flexis downward not really creating any visual problems but im sure stressing other things for future problems.

The real fix and not Keystone's fix is to either replace or beef up existing cross members in the hitch area to be more ridgid stopping all the flex. As mentioned before, there is 1 1/2" upward movement on my hitch before the landing gear comes off the ground...Will keep updates when we find out more on what Keystone is going to do but I dang sure do not want it fixed again like they did before, Keystone's quick fix that did not work...

Herap
06-03-2013, 04:02 PM
Good luck Ron :thumbsup:...keep us posted.

Ray