PDA

View Full Version : Repairing heating duct

PJSprint
05-25-2013, 03:01 PM
Just took the trailer out of storage for the winter and noticed that the front heat duct had significant amount of sawdust in it, upon cleaning it out and taking a flashlight and my camera to look at the heating duct, I have noticed what looks like a small animal might have chewed into the duct work. I was wondering if this is something that I should be concerned with, as well how would i go about to fix this, as I have already looked at the underbelly and haven't seen any duct work, as well i don't feel like cutting through the floor to gain access to the duct work. I have attached a picture of what seems to be a hole in the duct system. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

sjturbo
05-25-2013, 03:31 PM
I'm no pro but it does not look like an animal did it. The edges look to clean. like a pair of cutters not teeth. If it is warranty take it to the dealer. Otherwise it would likely be accessable from under the unit some how. I'm sure that someone with more experience will help guide you.

hankaye
05-25-2013, 03:41 PM
PJSprint, Howdy;

Toothy critters don't like metal. That's why it's used to keep them out.
Now humans with clumsy work skills on the other hand .......
Hope you are still under warranty. If not at least let Keystone know
they have a metal eater on the assembly line.
As the other poster said you should be able to access it from underneath.

hankaye

joeyb
05-25-2013, 04:07 PM
If no past alterations or repairs made it looks like factory mistake also looks like left side of duct crushed. May look deeper to see anything else. Good luck keep us posted.

PJSprint
05-26-2013, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the information,

As we purchased the trailer used we are unaware of any repairs that should have been made to the duct work. As for the crushed area that would be the end of duct line from the furnace.

BulletOwner1
05-26-2013, 08:37 AM
Agree with joeyb, looks like something was jammed into the duct and that, to me, is not the way duct work is terminated. Unfortunately it's probably not going to be easy or cheap to fix. What model RV do you have? The duct work in mine is accessed from underneath after the belly pan is removed and the duct work is the flexible kind. Good luck.

Richard