PDA

View Full Version : Fresh water "new trailer smell"

woster
05-25-2013, 07:24 AM
Question....does anyone else have a problem with a "plastic" smell from the fresh water in the tank and PEX lines? I have flushed this thing repeatedly but can't seem to get rid of the "new trailer" smell coming from the water.

hankpage
05-25-2013, 07:43 AM
Have you tried sanitizing the system with bleach??? Some folks also follow up with baking soda or another RV water system freshener. Me, I just use bleach and then flush twice.

Stublejumper
05-26-2013, 06:39 AM
I had the same problem, added bleach 1/2 tank of water and went for a drive to mix it up and then flushed twice as hankpage said..

jlarocca
05-28-2013, 01:10 PM
Not to hijack this thread but I have a 2013 Montana Mountaineer and this thing does not have a fresh water gravity fill. Just the city water hook up in the compartment. I would like to sanitize my tank with Bleach and then follow up with a little baking soda but I can't find where to put it in. I asked the selling dealer and they had no idea. Their tech came out and said that he hasn't noticed it doesn't have a gravity fill and didn't know what to do. He offered to put one on for me if I paid for parts and labor. Anyway, what's the trick?

Festus2
05-28-2013, 01:43 PM
I am very surprised that your 2013 Montana does not have a fresh water gravity fill. Usually, the FW tank filler for potable water is located on the outside of the unit in close proximity to the FW tank. There is a white, threaded (female) cap similar to a gas cap which has a short, white plastic tether on it.
Can't understand why your unit would not have one.
If it really doesn't have a filler for potable water and you are handy, you can always buy the parts and install them yourself. Check for a filler hose that would have gone from the filler port to the top of the FW tank. Maybe the hose is there but nothing else???
Strange.

jlarocca
05-28-2013, 06:20 PM
I could do it but its another one of those things that makes you go...hmm...what were they thinking.

There is a vent cap coming out the back of the unit for the FW tank, I could probably install it in place of that as its a pretty good size hose going to the vent. I had actually forgotten about it until I saw this thread so I'm going to call Keystone Customer Service tomorrow and ask what they suggest.

I am very surprised that your 2013 Montana does not have a fresh water gravity fill. Usually, the FW tank filler for potable water is located on the outside of the unit in close proximity to the FW tank. There is a white, threaded (female) cap similar to a gas cap which has a short, white plastic tether on it.
Can't understand why your unit would not have one.
If it really doesn't have a filler for potable water and you are handy, you can always buy the parts and install them yourself. Check for a filler hose that would have gone from the filler port to the top of the FW tank. Maybe the hose is there but nothing else???
Strange.

Festus2
05-28-2013, 09:02 PM
If your unit is under warranty, why not try that route with the dealer and Keystone? If you don't have an outside inlet for potable water, someone at Keystone goofed and when your dealer discovered that there wasn't one there, should have gone to bat for you and installed one - at no cost.

If you are in contact with Keystone, I'd take some photos of the vent hole and surrounding area and send them off to Keystone. Surely if your dealer would support you in your efforts to have one installed. Every other unit has one --- except yours.

If you wanted to go off somewhere where there was no city water, you would have to find some other way of carrying water -- a real nuisance and you should have the ability to fill up your water tank. Why have one if you can put water in it?

I was hoping you would reply and say, "I found it".

BTW did they install taps so you can get city water?

Javi
05-29-2013, 01:41 AM
I could do it but its another one of those things that makes you go...hmm...what were they thinking.

There is a vent cap coming out the back of the unit for the FW tank, I could probably install it in place of that as its a pretty good size hose going to the vent. I had actually forgotten about it until I saw this thread so I'm going to call Keystone Customer Service tomorrow and ask what they suggest.
We looked at several Mountaineer a couple of weeks ago and everyone had a freshwater fill located on the driver side rear... It is an 1 1/2" cap at about the same level as the electric plug on the rear.. When the cap is removed it is simply a hole that a standard water hose end will just fit into...

The vent would be located on top of the trailer...

ftwildernessguy
05-29-2013, 02:26 AM
What would be the point of even installing a freshwater tank on the trailer if there is no fill point?

SAD
05-29-2013, 02:31 AM
...There is a vent cap coming out the back of the unit for the FW tank..

Could you post a pic of this?

..The vent would be located on top of the trailer...

The vent for the fresh water tank is generally right next to the fresh water fill. I have never seen one on the roof of an RV - doesn't mean it doesn't exist; just haven't seen it. The only vents I have seen on the roof are for the "attic" or the holding tanks (black/gray).

SAD
05-29-2013, 02:34 AM
Not to hijack this thread but I have a 2013 Montana Mountaineer and this thing does not have a fresh water gravity fill. Just the city water hook up in the compartment. ...

Something just occurred to me.. I guess it wouldn't be totally unheard of to have a handle to redirect the city water from the lines into the fresh water tank - allowing you to fill it while connected to city water.

What controls do you have in your "water works" area? Can you post a pic of your water works?

Javi
05-29-2013, 03:15 AM
Could you post a pic of this?

The vent for the fresh water tank is generally right next to the fresh water fill. I have never seen one on the roof of an RV - doesn't mean it doesn't exist; just haven't seen it. The only vents I have seen on the roof are for the "attic" or the holding tanks (black/gray).

I know my Passport is vented out the top... It also has a small vent beside the fill...

However, when I first picked it up we were headed out for a weekend shakedown and I stuck the hose in the fill then got busy doing other things... I was alerted to the fact it was full when water started pouring off the roof... :D cut off water.... water stopped pouring off roof... conclusion.... Freshwater tank is vented to roof..."bouncey:

%The photo isn't of mine but this is generally what the fill looks like..

SAD
05-29-2013, 04:02 AM
I know my Passport is vented out the top... It also has a small vent beside the fill...

However, when I first picked it up we were headed out for a weekend shakedown and I stuck the hose in the fill then got busy doing other things... I was alerted to the fact it was full when water started pouring off the roof... :D cut off water.... water stopped pouring off roof... conclusion.... Freshwater tank is vented to roof..."bouncey:..

Interesting would be a first for me.

Are you sure your freshwater tank isn't vented through the poop tanks ?? LOL

jlarocca
05-29-2013, 05:32 AM
My unit just has two vents, one has "tank vent" printed on it and the other one doesn't have anything printed on it but I can see that its connected to the drain line of the outdoor kitchen sink.

FW VENTS (https://www.dropbox.com/s/gqlfjegzrfe0bne/FWVENTS.JPG?v=0rc-)

CLOSE UP OF FW VENT (https://www.dropbox.com/s/hgcrvmkskqgny9x/FWVENT.JPG?v=0rc-)

We looked at several Mountaineer a couple of weeks ago and everyone had a freshwater fill located on the driver side rear... It is an 1 1/2" cap at about the same level as the electric plug on the rear.. When the cap is removed it is simply a hole that a standard water hose end will just fit into...

The vent would be located on top of the trailer...

jlarocca
05-29-2013, 05:38 AM
I know how to fill the tank with the city water connection. I have a valve that I open in the control compartment to do that. However, what I don't have is a way to pour bleach and/or baking soda in the tank for cleaning and deodorizing. This is my 4th RV as an adult and my parents had several growing up that I helped to take care of and this is the first I've gotten without a gravity fill.

Something just occurred to me.. I guess it wouldn't be totally unheard of to have a handle to redirect the city water from the lines into the fresh water tank - allowing you to fill it while connected to city water.

What controls do you have in your "water works" area? Can you post a pic of your water works?

Javi
05-29-2013, 05:42 AM
I know how to fill the tank with the city water connection. I have a valve that I open in the control compartment to do that. However, what I don't have is a way to pour bleach and/or baking soda in the tank for cleaning and deodorizing. This is my 4th RV as an adult and my parents had several growing up that I helped to take care of and this is the first I've gotten without a gravity fill.
There is a video on youtube that shows how to do it through just such a valve..

dtolar
05-29-2013, 06:03 AM
Does your command center have a hook up for a hose that is labeled on the valve, tank flush or quick fill. If it does the quick fill is to fill the fresh water tank. At least that's the case on the 2012 345 DBQ Mountaineer which also have a separate tank fill also.

jlarocca
05-29-2013, 06:33 AM
Do you have a link? I've seen the video to winterize with that valve but I didn't know it went into the FW tank. I thought it was on the suction side of the pump and just went through the lines.

There is a video on youtube that shows how to do it through just such a valve..

dtolar
05-29-2013, 07:55 AM
In your command center there should be a top connection that is labeled Freeze Guard and is the connection for winterizing. The middle connection is city water connection with and on off valve. On the bottom is another hook up that has a valve that is labeled normal and quick fill. The quick fill should fill the fresh water tank. The normal setting is the tank flush. At least on mine it is this way and from the pictures from sale adds the 346LBQ is the same.

Javi
05-29-2013, 08:49 AM
Do you have a link? I've seen the video to winterize with that valve but I didn't know it went into the FW tank. I thought it was on the suction side of the pump and just went through the lines.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOlPwmwlaMo :D