PDA

View Full Version : Bullet 281 BHS Maiden voyage review and initial thoughts

SGardiner
05-24-2013, 04:25 PM
We took our new 281 Bullet BHS out for its maiden voyage last weekend.

The unit was easy to tow with our F-150 and equalizer hitch. We camped for four nights, which gave a good chance to perform a thorough inspection and make sure everything worked. We did not find any significant defects or concerns that required warranty assistance or a return trip to the dealer.

The only issue we experienced was with the dinette seat that backs onto the door (i.e. no additional support). I sat down a little too heavily and separated the back of the seat from the bench. Upon further inspection the seat back is only secured with long staples. There are no screws or brackets. Not a major concern I should be able to fix with some glue and wood screws, but this appears to be a design flaw as I am of average size. The back of the seat should be better supported IMO.

Other than that we were very pleased with our purchase and look forward to the remainder of the trips we have planned for this summer.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_79281_0_f9a27b8409c988f4090f0c736d5d8d17.jpg[/URL][/IMG]

lightning79
05-29-2013, 12:57 PM
Glad to hear it. Do you have the Ecoboost model?

SGardiner
05-29-2013, 04:00 PM
Glad to hear it. Do you have the Ecoboost model?

Yep Ecoboost. We have had it for about a year. Pros and cons compared to the eight cylinder, but no complaints as of yet. Sadly my wife drives it most of the time. I'm stuck with the car.

BulletOwner1
05-29-2013, 08:17 PM
Glad you had a good outing. We also had our first outing this weekend.

Our setups are very similar. I do like my pickup. The only con I can think of for the Ecoboost is it doesn't have the V8 rumble. I no longer hate going up hills. All the hills I encountered this weekend were conquered at the speed limit with throttle to spare.

Kristi
05-30-2013, 05:21 AM
Glad you had a good time & enjoy your new trailer! :)

dakota01
06-16-2013, 07:36 AM
We have the 241bh and my husband noted last night that the back of the dinnett at the door would be broken within a year because it is very "loose" feeling.

Esai
10-06-2014, 11:11 AM
We took our new 281 Bullet BHS out for its maiden voyage last weekend.

The unit was easy to tow with our F-150 and equalizer hitch. We camped for four nights, which gave a good chance to perform a thorough inspection and make sure everything worked. We did not find any significant defects or concerns that required warranty assistance or a return trip to the dealer.

The only issue we experienced was with the dinette seat that backs onto the door (i.e. no additional support). I sat down a little too heavily and separated the back of the seat from the bench. Upon further inspection the seat back is only secured with long staples. There are no screws or brackets. Not a major concern I should be able to fix with some glue and wood screws, but this appears to be a design flaw as I am of average size. The back of the seat should be better supported IMO.

Other than that we were very pleased with our purchase and look forward to the remainder of the trips we have planned for this summer.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_146795_0_f9a27b8409c988f4090f0c736d5d8d17.jpg[/URL][/IMG]
I hate to tell you, but in the 2015 model it's still the same poorly built dinette, stuck together with staples. We took our 2015 251RBS Bullet for its maiden camping trip in September (2014) for one week -- spent last Saturday morning rebuilding that same backstop in your photo. Two adults, average sized, no kids. Did not treat it roughly. My husband firmed it up with more wood and bolts and now it feels secure. Our dealer is over two hours away and has no mobile repair people so it was either haul it for four hours or fix it ourselves. My husband decided that he'd rather do it himself and make it strong this time. Wouldn't you have thought they'd know by now that warped wood and staples doesn't do the trick?

Priscilla
Northern New Hampshire

Perreault985
10-17-2014, 09:11 AM
I'd seen a thread a few months ago in the "modifications" section of this forum addressing the seat back support. They had added a piece of metal inside the seat back. Has anybody else seen it and if so add a link here?

ThePressureIsOn
10-18-2014, 10:13 AM
Perreault985, This is how I reinforced the back of our dinette seat. Check out post #8 of the link. Hope that this helps. By the way, welcome to the forum:wlcm:!

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9394

Flabbytax
10-25-2014, 10:13 AM
Having issues with our bullet premier bunks I would pull up the luan and check them out. The spacing of the supports was very disturbing. We were breaking through all over. We reinforced the supports, put down a sheet of plywood, then put down the luan and now I feel comfortable putting 3 people or more in there!

Driveway2fast
10-30-2014, 07:03 AM
Had the same thing happen in my 2012 286QBS.

I actually removed the seat beefed it up, put bottom and side panel (on the side that was connected to the wall), put felt strips on the bottom and kept it mobile vice attached to the floor/wall.

Now I can remove the table, turn the seat sideways for more of a living room experience when socializing indoors.