PDA

View Full Version : Gas shocks for bed lift?

audio1der
05-24-2013, 08:04 AM
We purchased a Queen Sealy coil mattress with thin pillow top for our bed, and want easy access to the under-bed storage.
Does anyone have experience with how strong the 2 gas shocks should be to just hold the "bed" in the up position? I'd rather error on the soft side, if it took a finger or two to help hold it up rather than pull screws through wood trying to push it closed.
Thanks!

hankpage
05-24-2013, 08:37 AM
We replaced our factory mattress (If you consider that a mattress ) with a 12'' gel/foam mattress. I found that by moving the present struts about 6" to 8" towards the foot of the bed they worked perfectly raising and lowering. It's worth a try before you purchase anything. ... Hank

Javi
05-24-2013, 08:48 AM
This is what I did... "bouncey: http://www.hatchlift.com/rv-hatch-category.aspx?main_cat_id=32&

audio1der
05-24-2013, 09:26 AM
We replaced our factory mattress (If you consider that a mattress ) with a 12'' gel/foam mattress. I found that by moving the present struts about 6" to 8" towards the foot of the bed they worked perfectly raising and lowering. It's worth a try before you purchase anything. ... Hank

Ours has nothing from the factory- just "strong arm" ;)
We need to purchase & install something, just unsure of the #values.

JENNIFER_SUSAN
05-25-2013, 07:01 AM
We replaced our factory mattress (If you consider that a mattress ) with a 12'' gel/novaform mattress (http://adjustableairbeds.org/novaform-mattress/). I found that by moving the present struts about 6" to 8" towards the foot of the bed they worked perfectly raising and lowering. It's worth a try before you purchase anything. ... Hank

yes, should give a try before purchasing anything:)

audio1der
05-27-2013, 06:59 AM
A pair of 20", 79# shocks actually take some force to close the bed back down now; should be plenty for when the mattress arrives this week in preparation for our first trip this weekend.
We laid on the provided "mattress" for 2 minutes and were both sure we'd not get any sleep using it, so it was no question of replacement for us.

jlonginav
05-27-2013, 11:09 AM
Hi, I installed the kit from Hatch Lift.com I chose the heavy version that came with 120lb gas springs. I like you put in a standard queen mattress. One thing I did was use the instructions for the "Short" bed install. This worked great. Have a friend help

audio1der
05-27-2013, 12:36 PM
Not putting anyone down for buying the kit, but what makes it a "kit"? If you buy 2 gas shocks, 2 flat and 2 angled brackets and some hardware to hold them on the wood, do they supply the measurements of where to attach the brackets?
I moved the brackets on the bottom of the bed (under the mattress) once before I got it but no one will ever see the extra 2 holes and I lightened the tongue weight by 0.01grams :p

Javi
05-27-2013, 02:12 PM
Since I did not have the brackets or the struts it seemrd to be the easiest way out. Not to mention it saved me running around town looking for the necessary components.

audio1der
05-28-2013, 05:50 AM
The kits were cheaper than the sum of the parts I bought, but shipping to up here is always cost prohibitive... just wondering what made it a "kit" :)