PDA

View Full Version : Tripod

CdnSailor
07-14-2010, 08:55 PM
Not sure if there is a posting elsewhere.
With my 36 footer should I use a tripod or would it be a waste of time?

Cheers

Jim W
07-15-2010, 04:02 AM
It is hard to say if it is or not. What are you looking for, to stop the rocking motion when parked?

All trailers will rock some, it is the design of the trailer and suspicion. All you can do is limited the amount that you will feel.

I do use a tripod with my 318SAB 5TH wheel Cougar. I also use the Roto-chucks between the tires. All of this helps but will not totally eliminate the rocking of the trailer when walking.

Another feature of the tripod is you will not hit your head on the kingpin or kingpin box when trying to back out of this area after being in the front compartment.

Jim

hoffbrew
07-15-2010, 09:55 AM
I use the tri-pod. I think it helps the moving motion for sure, plus in my mind it relieves some of the pressure on the front stabilizers...

Dutch & Di
07-17-2010, 08:03 PM
Anything that helps remove or limit motion isn't a waste of time. You can try that or one of the aftermarket stabilizer systems that permanently attach to your jacks. The tri-pod just didn't do it for us and even with the Big Foot leveling system we needed more. We use the Plug It Right stabilizers and have no movement. Diana

hoffbrew
07-19-2010, 08:39 AM
What are the Plug It Right stabilizers? Would like to research these.

Festus2
07-19-2010, 10:21 AM
If your visit their website (www.plugitright.com), you will be able to find out about these rv stabilizers.

hoffbrew
07-19-2010, 11:11 AM
Ok.. now I know what these are, these are standard on most 5er's I have seen. These eliminate the tri-pod??? I thought the tri-pod was for stabilizing AND to take some of the pressure off the front landing gear?
I use the tri-pod while my 5er is just sitting behind my house, is this really not necessary?

Sebring
11-13-2010, 06:08 AM
We or should I say "My DH" installed the JT Strongarm system on our 5er and they are the best. In fact, we sold our tripod...one less thing in the basement! Definately would recommend them.

CWtheMan
11-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Whenever we are parked for a few days or a couple of months we put up the tri-pod. Our washer/dryer is on the main level near the axles but will still cause a lot of trailer shaking at times. Anything we can do to damper it is welcome. In the picture below we were hunkered down in north FL waiting for warmer weather to move north, so we were also using four small tri-pod jacks on our axles (one on each end of each axle).

http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showfull.php?photo=16891

CW