PDA

View Full Version : Stabilizing

Lost
05-20-2013, 04:29 AM
Has anyone tried adding two scissor jacks to the center of their unit. This would give you 6 points of support. Something I was looking at with the scissor jacks is that if you turn them so the long part of the base runs with the frame that should stop or reduce movement.:confused: Turning them the other way would be like a teeter totter effect?

billb800si
05-20-2013, 04:34 AM
I used a pair of these bolted to the frame just in front of the axles.
http://norcoind.com/bal/products/consumer/leveling_products/levelingscissorsjack.shtml

Since rubber tires will bounce I figured mount the scissor jacks as close to the tires as I could. Between that and the BAL chocks our trailer has settled down considerably.
Happy trails,

GaryWT
05-20-2013, 04:51 AM
Have thought about it but have not done it. I do not think it matters which way you put them on, it would have the same effect if they were higher than the corner ones. Just harder to jack up your way.

planesnut
05-20-2013, 05:48 PM
I have and I shared pics on this site. Just use the search engine and maybe it will show you what I did. Just type in "Jacks" and it will get you there

SteveC7010
05-20-2013, 06:00 PM
Has anyone tried adding two scissor jacks to the center of their unit. This would give you 6 points of support. Something I was looking at with the scissor jacks is that if you turn them so the long part of the base runs with the frame that should stop or reduce movement.:confused: Turning them the other way would be like a teeter totter effect?
If you have up and down bounce in the center of the trailer above the tandems, extra jacks there should help. I would not fasten them to the frame. Instead, I'd use screw jacks which can be placed where they will do the most good depending on the lay of the land of each different campsite.

If the trailer wiggles side to side or front to back, the stabilizer jacks really can't deal with that. There's nothing that prevents them from leaning in one direction or another. What really works in these cases is the incredible strength of the triangle stabilizer systems like the SteadyFast, JT Strong Arms, and more. If you'll use the search function and search on steadyfast or stabilizer you'll find a number of threads detailing these devices and their installation. There's also some very good comparisons of these systems.

I have the SteadyFasts on my rig now, and I love them. Our trailer is 36 feet long so any movement is amplified quite a bit. The SteadyFast system eliminates 99.9% of the wiggle of our unit.