PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day weekend plans

davidjsimons
05-19-2013, 02:36 PM
I have made reservations at the Camp Hatteras campground. I managed to secure a waterfront site on the ocean side of the park. Does anybody have any experience with this campground?
What are some other choice destinations for the holiday?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Laredo60
05-19-2013, 03:29 PM
Make sure u have something to secure your awning while you are there. It's very nice there but the wind takes some getting used to. Enjoy yourself.

davidjsimons
05-19-2013, 03:45 PM
Make sure u have something to secure your awning while you are there. It's very nice there but the wind takes some getting used to. Enjoy yourself.

I grew up on the water, and that is a good bit of advice. I'm going to hitch a ride out of Pirates Cove on a charter boat hopefully while I'm there. I have a friend who is a charter Captain.

Javi
05-19-2013, 04:12 PM
Be safe and have a blast.... "bouncey:

Me and the DW are both working...:banghead:

Bugle Boy
05-19-2013, 04:31 PM
No travel plans.

I will be driving my '62 Galaxie convertible in our Salute To Veteran's Parade carrying a genuine WWII Tuskegee Airman. Following the parade I will be sounding Taps for a ceremony at our Memorial park by the courthouse.

Following that I will be heading to the cemetary to sound Taps for my Father In Law, a WWII Army Veteran and also for a very young man who was KIA in Afghanistan last year.

TandE
05-19-2013, 05:28 PM
No travel plans.

I will be driving my '62 Galaxie convertible in our Salute To Veteran's Parade carrying a genuine WWII Tuskegee Airman. Following the parade I will be sounding Taps for a ceremony at our Memorial park by the courthouse.

Following that I will be heading to the cemetary to sound Taps for my Father In Law, a WWII Army Veteran and also for a very young man who was KIA in Afghanistan last year.

From a family of veterans and one my self I Thank you for doing this.

fla-gypsy
05-19-2013, 07:00 PM
We will be at Salt Springs recreation area at the premier NFS CG in the system!

Bugle Boy
05-19-2013, 07:02 PM
From a family of veterans and one my self I Thank you for doing this.

It is my honor. Having endured taps from a cassette tape player or CD player at the funerals of 3 relatives I could take no more. I discovered Bugles Across America (Google it), got out my 1956 Conn high school trumpet and started practicing. After 50 years it took a while to get the old lips in shape. After a couple months I passed my audition over the phone.

Have Bugle Will Travel. I will sound Taps at any Veteran funeral or military ceremony within 100 miles at no cost. BAA missions are at no cost, all volunteer by uniformed Buglers.

When out camping I sound Taps at 9:00 every night. I first make sure the RV park folks don't have a problem with that. None have. Some/most let the guests know that it will happen. I often have an audience of Veterans who very much enjoy the Taps and many stand at attention and salute until I have finished. It's what I do.

mecfd67
05-20-2013, 02:18 AM
It is my honor. Having endured taps from a cassette tape player or CD player at the funerals of 3 relatives I could take no more. I discovered Bugles Across America (Google it), got out my 1956 Conn high school trumpet and started practicing. After 50 years it took a while to get the old lips in shape. After a couple months I passed my audition over the phone.

Have Bugle Will Travel. I will sound Taps at any Veteran funeral or military ceremony within 100 miles at no cost. BAA missions are at no cost, all volunteer by uniformed Buglers.

When out camping I sound Taps at 9:00 every night. I first make sure the RV park folks don't have a problem with that. None have. Some/most let the guests know that it will happen. I often have an audience of Veterans who very much enjoy the Taps and many stand at attention and salute until I have finished. It's what I do.
I just want to say thank you and you are a honorable man. You are a bright spot on a sometimes forgetful nation.

crash
05-20-2013, 05:02 AM
We will be right next to you in the Hatteras Koa just look for the Raptor with the side deck and and our bulldog Rebel,we will have the harleys to ride to the ferry and our friends will be right beside use with their Road warrior toy hauler .Come by for a cold one if you drink or just to say Hi:D:party:

hankaye
05-20-2013, 07:43 AM
Bugle Boy, Howdy;

Thank you Sir for doing what you do.

Do you have a link or some method to contact BAA?
I'm sure that some of us like to contact them, if not
to volunteer then to request a Bugler for a Veteran
that we know or to get them together with an organization
such as VFW, American Legion, DAV, etc.

hankaye

SteveC7010
05-20-2013, 08:07 AM
Bugle Boy, Howdy;

Thank you Sir for doing what you do.

Do you have a link or some method to contact BAA?
I'm sure that some of us like to contact them, if not
to volunteer then to request a Bugler for a Veteran
that we know or to get them together with an organization
such as VFW, American Legion, DAV, etc.

hankaye

http://www.buglesacrossamerica.org/

My good friend SFC Duncan MacQueen (AUS RET) is a longtime BAA member in NJ. He was the bugler in the movie Gettysburg. No dubbing, he played everything on horseback.

Bugle Boy
05-20-2013, 08:21 AM
http://www.buglesacrossamerica.org/

My good friend SFC Duncan MacQueen (AUS RET) is a longtime BAA member in NJ. He was the bugler in the movie Gettysburg. No dubbing, he played everything on horseback.

Wow! Great movie and that was some great Bugling.

Badboy
05-20-2013, 10:13 AM
We are going to D and W lake campground in central Illinois.:) :) :cool:

davidjsimons
05-20-2013, 10:25 AM
We will be right next to you in the Hatteras Koa just look for the Raptor with the side deck and and our bulldog Rebel,we will have the harleys to ride to the ferry and our friends will be right beside use with their Road warrior toy hauler .Come by for a cold one if you drink or just to say Hi:D:party:

I just may do that.

Beekeeper
05-21-2013, 01:45 AM
We are heading to Rend Lake in Southern Illinois. We are looking forward to a long, relaxing weekend! Safe travels everyone..........where ever your journey takes you!

Lost
05-21-2013, 04:51 AM
Heading up to old orchard campground MI. Great place "bouncey:

Family_5ers
05-21-2013, 07:11 AM
We're heading to Yogi Bear's Jellystone campground in Indian River, MI. A great family campground, my 4 year old has been counting the days for weeks. First trip of the season and we're all pretty excited- only our second trip in the new rig.

Dhuhn
05-21-2013, 07:19 AM
We're heading to Anderson Rv park long beach Wa. Great place on the Pacific Ocean, love taking the dog for walks on the beach"bouncey:"bouncey:"bouncey:

labs4life
05-21-2013, 07:23 AM
We are headed to Pine Mountain, GA for the weekend. Can't leave till Saturday as my DW is on call at the hospital Friday. Got to love 24 hour shifts!!! :(

Nice campground and a great pool!! The 4 year old loves it!!

Safe travels to all....

TandE
05-21-2013, 07:23 AM
We are heading to spectacle lake by tonasket wa to see my grandpa and fishing which usually is pretty good. Especially the Kokanee. Been going there for about 15 years on Memorial Day weekend. Hope the weather cooperates but if it doesn't oh well we have the trailer now instead of tents.

Lost
05-21-2013, 08:37 AM
We're heading to Yogi Bear's Jellystone campground in Indian River, MI. A great family campground, my 4 year old has been counting the days for weeks. First trip of the season and we're all pretty excited- only our second trip in the new rig.

Family, We have been there many times ... very nice area :)

frano
05-21-2013, 01:13 PM
We will be attending our first Good Sam Samboree in MA this weekend--not sure what to expect, but thought it might be a good way to meet some new camping friends.

kimanderson98642
05-21-2013, 03:07 PM
Since we are retired and everyday is a Saturday we are going to stay home and leave the Parks to those that have to go back to work on Tuesday.

mikell
05-21-2013, 03:17 PM
Our railroad opens Saturday so it's home every weekend all summer for us but Sunday night after we close were headed to Indiana to another railroad for a day or two of RR fun and a birthday party

Keoni37
05-21-2013, 11:26 PM
Headed to Manchester State Park on Friday for our first outing with our new Cougar 333MKS.

kenn209
05-22-2013, 02:27 AM
Will be at Indian Cove campground in Va Beach for this weekend and all next week! Looking forward to it!

dbailey1111
05-22-2013, 05:00 AM
Going to Hatfield trails in wv for some camping and mudding. Can-Am Outlander 800 max, 29.5 outlaws and snorkeled.

Kristi
05-22-2013, 06:05 AM
Gonna stay home & have our neighborhood cookout :)

fla-gypsy
05-22-2013, 06:47 AM
Since we are retired and everyday is a Saturday we are going to stay home and leave the Parks to those that have to go back to work on Tuesday.

I apprecaite the way you worded your post and the consideration for those who cannot go any time they want to. Too often folks who are not working post this is a snide kind of way that irks me, like mixing with the common working folks is beneath them even if that was not their intent. You showed great character in that post. Thanks

Drew Waller
05-22-2013, 08:02 AM
We are taking the new Raptor 332 TS to Ride Royal Blue ATV campground and ride up the mountains (Pioneer Tenn.). We were there 2 years ago for 4 days and didn't get it all rode. Well, we got lost for 4 hours the first day and did a lot of circles. Got the GPS for this trip. Wife, dogs, children, and grand chilodren all meeting there to ride up into the mountains on our Honda Utilities.:)

chris199
05-22-2013, 09:06 AM
We are off to Frontier Town near Ocean City, MD and will be visiting Assateague this weekend.

Chris

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

ThePressureIsOn
05-22-2013, 01:14 PM
We are off to Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore on Memorial Day for two weeks. I am also retired and like letting families enjoy the weekend holiday together, while the kids are still young. There is plenty of time for us old folks to camp, let the families have the campgrounds on the holidays.

frano
05-22-2013, 01:22 PM
We're doing our first Good Sam Samboree this weekend in MA. Don't know what to expect but we'll find out soon.

Lost
05-22-2013, 02:10 PM
It's great that allot of RV's are getting out this weekend...I hope that you all have a great weekend"bouncey: post pictures of your weekend when you get back.. we would love to see them... Have FUN!!

rode2nowhere
05-22-2013, 02:53 PM
I will be an an iron foundry working 10 hours a day, have pity on me and drink one for me.

hankaye
05-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Howdy All;

Figure I'll sit tight here while all about me
do the run in circles scream and shout routine.
IMO it ain't Safe out there during the major Holidays... :eek:
"bouncey:, :rofl:

Ya'll stay safe and have the Bestest time ya'll can...

From the side-lines;

hankaye

labs4life
05-22-2013, 03:44 PM
have pity on me and drink one for me.

Oh, I will have you covered!!!!

TandE
05-22-2013, 04:46 PM
have pity on me and drink one for me.

I'll have you covered too! Quite a bit actually. ;)

2011 keystone
05-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Going to Hatfield trails in wv for some camping and mudding. Can-Am Outlander 800 max, 29.5 outlaws and snorkeled.

What trail head will you be riding in from?
I just rode "rock hollow" a couple of weeks ago.
Hatfield mccoy trails are a GREAT place to ride everything from mild to WILD.

Ksthompson
05-25-2013, 04:54 AM
I have made reservations at the Camp Hatteras campground. I managed to secure a waterfront site on the ocean side of the park. Does anybody have any experience with this campground?
What are some other choice destinations for the holiday?

We are down the road in Buxton. Had a nasty windstorm come up yesterday....hope everyone's awnings made it through ok!

elkhorn98
05-25-2013, 06:04 AM
Headed to the Mendocino National Forest in northern Ca...hopefully everyone will be leaving and we'll have a quiet time there next week.

davidjsimons
05-25-2013, 06:31 AM
We are down the road in Buxton. Had a nasty windstorm come up yesterday....hope everyone's awnings made it through ok!

I made it down at about 13:00 Friday. The winds blew pretty hard with some powerful gust. Sitting where I am, there is not much to break the wind. I cancelled my fishing trip. I can get my rear end beat at home. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/25/7yjygy7y.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/25/2ytyseja.jpg

MISailor
05-25-2013, 07:04 AM
If you count yesterday as the first day of the Memorial Day weekend, my plan included staring out my office window and watching you all drive by on the Interstate that runs past my office :(.

Albert
05-25-2013, 09:03 AM
Let my 28 year old son and his three friends use our RV and pickup to attend a 4 day music festival at the gorge amphitheater on the Columbia River east of Ellensburg Wa. They will have a blast.

Spent 4 hours checking him out on everything in the RV and went with him for a 20 mile test drive. I also produced a check-off list that he can follow. I talked to him this morning and so far everything has gone well.

While we enjoy camping on the holidays and watching all the young families, it is good to give those family use of the campground on holidays. My son has limited time off so I am happy he can take advantage of it.